Your phones and your style.
Sep 10, 2011 at 3:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

HeadphonesHero

New Head-Fier
All right, first time posting here on head-phi,
But you all seem pretty educated to me.

So i'd like to ask more of an opinion based question.
Which headphone, or Brand of headphones do you believe have
the Coolest/More interesting "Style".

Granted a lot of people hear headphones and style
and jump to the idea of Skullcandy etc,
(I personally think they look gaudy)

But I recently ordered a pair of Koss Portapro,
and personally I think they have a very unique look, that maybe someone else might consider boring or bland.

So does quality have to mean lack of style?

Opinions please!

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 18
It really depends on your definition of style.

I find the Hifiman headphones (HE300, HE6, etc) and Stax 009 and 007 to be very classy-looking. They're not as "hip" looking as Skullcandies or Beats but they don't look too off beat either. The Audeze LCD-2 looks very rugged and dangerous.. in a way, which is good imo. Some lower end headphones that are performs well and are pretty good-looking imo, are the Grados. Love their retro look :)

Sep 10, 2011 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 18

Quote:

Welcome to Headfi, sorry about your wallet.

Grado. IMO the perfect headphones.

I'm modding my PortaPro's as we speak (without voiding warranty)

I think they have great sound quality and looks. The blue is MEH, but the looks and size is great.

Btw. A little tape where the two bands meet at, keeps them at your head size and makes them a whole lot more easy to slip on. Just not any more portable.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 18
I look like this:

Hang out with this:

And wear these:

I have no idea if wearing Grados has anything to do with my "style" but I'm wearing them all day erryday

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #6 of 18

Quote:
I look like this:

Hang out with this:

And wear these:

I have no idea if wearing Grados has anything to do with my "style" but I'm wearing them all day erryday

this proves. no, I wouldn't go there. Good job man

You know, I've never seen a woman around Beats before...

When I'm wearing Portapros, I'm a magnet for old men talking about vinyl
When I'm wearing my Grado, I'm a magnet for single mothers (sometimes nice)
When I'm wearing my T50RP, I'm a magnet for woman my age. I have no idea why. Have you seen my T50RP?
confused_face%281%29.gif

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 18

Quote:

No.
But the wonderful thing about style is one man's style is another's horrid.

I tend to like headphones with a high degree of form & function (comfort, handling, etc) without unnecessary embellishments. I don't think so much in terms of style but reliability, functionality and a design that places these paramount.

I also like designs that think outside of the box and succeed in aiding comfort and/or handling and/or portability and/or reliability and/or functionality in some way. I have my limits on retro designs; sometimes they are just retro for retro's sake, which I have aversions to. If a design can be made better, it should. Unless of course the retro design in question was already the pinnacle of form & function, I won't go for it.

Style...everyone's definition varies, but my definition is making something functional and as simple as possible without sacrificing the usability, reliability and functionality of the piece.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #8 of 18
I find my Beyers tend to match my sweatpants ... which is nice.

But seriously, if you care about sound buy some nice headphones. If you want something fashionable ... buy a purse.

I am sorry but i equate this notion of buying "in style" headphones to be very shallow. Who are you trying to impress?

No dude is going to get some tail because he has some custom ColorWare beats. And if he does ... i'd double bag it (if you catch my drift)

Just had a bottle of wine. I know I am being obnoxious. Please excuse my rant.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:59 AM Post #10 of 18
i rock out with my AKG K518 DJ's and think they look sweet, sleek looking phones :) i also love the retro styling of my old Panasonic RP-HTX7

Sep 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM Post #12 of 18
All right, first time posting here on head-phi,
But you all seem pretty educated to me.

So i'd like to ask more of an opinion based question.

Granted a lot of people hear headphones and style
and jump to the idea of Skullcandy etc,
(I personally think they look gaudy)

and personally I think they have a very unique look, that maybe someone else might consider boring or bland.

Opinions please!

Phiaton MS-400, and don't look back.

Sep 10, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #13 of 18
In terms of style...I suppose the Stax SR-Omega/SR-007/SR-009 fit me best, along with the Sansui SS-100, though that last one might give people the impression that you have a couple of metal pancakes flanking your head.

In terms of actual function and sound quality, I'm content with my Stax Lambda, even though it's visually very unappealing, certainly less so than its predecessors like the SR-5. (And it's still not nearly as outlandish as the Sigma series, where you now have two giant boxes flanking your head because of how it places the drivers at a right angle to the wearer's ears.) But if that's the way to get that electrostatic sound at only $250 (if you're in the right place at the right time)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back