Your first headphones?
Jun 9, 2009 at 10:07 PM Post #46 of 79
the first headphones I remember owning was the Denon ADH 950s ...........Quite a good headphone and I musta been about 12 at the time.....I had other headphones before them, but I don't remember what they were. I'm almost certain I had an AKG at some point before then but it was a cheap model.

How do they relate to my preferences now? I hardly remember their character, but I remember prefering the Sony MDR 7509 when I bought them when I was 14. I can't stand the 7509 now, so I guess the headphones I use now are better for me. My favorites at this point are the HD800 and R10.

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #48 of 79
AKG K501, one of the best headphones I have heard to date when decently amplified.

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #49 of 79
First decent headphone was the HD590, which I drove from the headphone socket of an old Fisher amp. That was a real shock, quite an upgrade from the horrendous HD500 that I used before. But that shock was nothing compared to the next headphone - the Stax SR-001. Sure, it's a portable, but damn, getting into electrostatics early on in the hobby really changed the way I thought about sound reproduction. Now I just can't listen to most dynamics, they sound distorted and slow.

Today my preferences are, you guessed it, electrostatic. I left 'stats for a while since the SR-404 turned me off, but the 404 does not encapsulate the electrostatic sound. 'Stats are as different from one another as dynamics are, and there are lots of sounds and flavors to choose from. Today I use the O2 (Mk1) as my main headphone and it is fairly similar to the SR-001 actually. I also like balanced armatures for their combination of speed and impact, but the best 'stats are also rather impactful. The O2 has a tactile presence and heft to its sound that even most dynamics struggle to match.

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #50 of 79
First headphones I owned? I guess those would be the little earbuds that came with my cowon U2.

First good headphones I owned? Koss portapros. I bought them because I liked the way they looked.
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #51 of 79
Sennheiser Hd202's. Introduction to a little better sound than the typical 4 dollar headphones found at stores. Love them. Still have them and use them frequently.

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:17 PM Post #54 of 79
1970 something, Pioneer HP-30, then Sennhieser HD420 in 1982 and the Sony MDR-V sometime in the late 80's. Still have the senn's and the Sony's, wish I had the pioneer, Leatherette, satin lined box, coil cord. They were sweet, at least that's what I remember.

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #55 of 79
My first proper headphones i bought that didn't come with walkmans or ipods was my Grado SR-60...what a difference that was!

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #57 of 79
My first headphones were Sennheiser HD480. They sounded just OK but were uncomfortable long term. My first GOOD headphones were the original beyerdynamic DT990 which I purchased in 1990. At the time I tried ALL that were available and my 2 favorites were the DT990 and Stax Lambda. The Lambdas were very good but not better in every regard over the DT990. Plus they were a LOT more money and I didn't have such spending cash in college at the time. So I went with the beyers. I still have them.
dt880smile.png

Jun 9, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #58 of 79
Some random flimsy pair in kindergarten that I absolutely loved, along with my portable cassette player. Years later, a cheap pair of Defenders that I also enjoyed a lot. I was never big into speakers, they seemed (and still do) distant and uninvolving in comparison.

The progression that followed in the years after was Sennheiser HD202 > HD555 > HD600 > HD650 and now I'm planning to get HD800 by next year or so. I have tried other brands as well but the Sennheiser sound is definitely my favorite this far.

I like how most friends think I'm crazy at first for spending so much on audio... until I let them listen. Then they start saving up for a decent pair themselves
biggrin.gif
. Spreading the head-fi curse and proud of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back