Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
May 2, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #61 of 388
Quote:
For me its the 2 headphones I recently got in the HE-400 and HD600, both are my first good pairs of HP's and to me they sound better than all the IEM's I had and have heard.  Good HP's just sound more grand and spacious (which is a big plus to me) and these 2 have just as good of SQ and clarity as my top-tier IEM's had imo so getting into HP's was a no brainer for me and I'm not looking back though I'm looking to get 1 or 2 pairs of IEM's to get and use for jogging and working out because I sold all my good IEM's after getting the HE-400 (that should tell you how much I like the HE-400).

I'm glad to see you've made the leap from in-ears to full size over the ear headphones. It really is a whole different experience. 

May 2, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #62 of 388
Hello all!

My favorite:
IEM: UE900
Closed: K550
Open: HD598

They all does the mids right XD as for amp, iBasso D7~ fits in all the above princess just right :D

Billson XD

May 2, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #63 of 388
Quote:

I'm glad to see you've made the leap from in-ears to full size over the ear headphones. It really is a whole different experience. 

It really is so much better that I'm a bit mad I spent all the money I did on IEM's though that's what got me started on quality portable and home audio so I can't be that mad.  I'm actually waiting on a review pair of IEM's I'll be getting soon so I'm not totally done with them.

I always thought a $400 IEM would sound better than a $400 headphone for some reason and I don't know why but we know that's not true at all.

May 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #64 of 388
I've gone back and forth a few times between full size and IEM's actually. Both have their place. I did try to listen to my GR01 the other day though, and It was definitely weird after spending the last few months with nothing but my two full size headphones. The lack of air and soundstage quickly bothered me, thats for sure. My Q701 has me spoiled big time.   
Quote:

It really is so much better that I'm a bit mad I spent all the money I did on IEM's though that's what got me started on quality portable and home audio so I can't be that mad.  I'm actually waiting on a review pair of IEM's I'll be getting soon so I'm not totally done with them.

I always thought a $400 IEM would sound better than a $400 headphone for some reason and I don't know why but we know that's not true at all.

May 2, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #65 of 388
Quote:
I've gone back and forth a few times between full size and IEM's actually. Both have their place. I did try to listen to my GR01 the other day though, and It was definitely weird after spending the last few months with nothing but my two full size headphones. The lack of air and soundstage quickly bothered me, thats for sure. My Q701 has me spoiled big time.   

I've thought about getting a pair of Q701's but I really need to wait and get the HE-500 which is the pair I've wanted ever since I got the HE-400 as the HE-500 has better mids and smoother treble.

May 2, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #66 of 388
A properly amped HD580 is magical, IMO.  If there is a mid-tier headphone I have to have, that's the one.

May 2, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #67 of 388
I was looking for a full size equivalent of the GR01 (R50). I loved the overall frequency response of the TWFK and wanted the same sound in an open full size. For me the Q701 fits this requirement perfectly. If you are ever in need of a full size that sounds like the R50, then the Q701 is where I'd tell you to look. I know how much you liked the R50.  

My T50rp is my closed back can when portability or maximum isolation is required. It's not the most portable, but it works well with my iPhone paired with an E17. 
Quote:

I've thought about getting a pair of Q701's but I really need to wait and get the HE-500 which is the pair I've wanted ever since I got the HE-400 as the HE-500 has better mids and smoother treble.

May 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #68 of 388
I did like the R-50 a lot but after I got more IEM's I bought a pair after selling mine and they just sound very thin and less bass than I remembered so they weren't quite as high up.  The SM3 and e-Q5 are my 2 favorite IEM's and you could through the BA200 in for a top 3.  The e-Q5 sounds as good as the SM3 and at under $200 now its a great buy and I'm going to get another pair in the future for sure.

May 2, 2013 at 8:26 PM Post #69 of 388
You probably won't like the Q701 then. They have just about as much bass as the GR01, maybe even a tiny bit less. 
Quote:
I did like the R-50 a lot but after I got more IEM's I bought a pair after selling mine and they just sound very thin and less bass than I remembered so they weren't quite as high up.  The SM3 and e-Q5 are my 2 favorite IEM's and you could through the BA200 in for a top 3.  The e-Q5 sounds as good as the SM3 and at under $200 now its a great buy and I'm going to get another pair in the future for sure.

May 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #70 of 388
Not a German Maestro/MB Quart?

For me it is GMP435S - light and very little clamp force, sounds detailed and open. The bass is a little more than being flat but I found it still enjoyable.

May 2, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #71 of 388
For me it's the HD595. Very warm, smooth, relaxing, and musical. I can listen to these all day, and I often have the "just-one-more-song-even-though-it's-2AM" feeling.
tongue_smile.gif

May 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #72 of 388
Quote:
You probably won't like the Q701 then. They have just about as much bass as the GR01, maybe even a tiny bit less. 

Yeah that's one of the reason I don't think its a sound signature I'd like a lot plus its on the brighter and leaner side (that's not to say its thin sounding).

My preferred sound signature is on the warmer side with forward detailed mids and a spacious presentation so the HE-500 is pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #74 of 388
I have plenty of better headphones and earphones, but my HD439 and SE215 still get almost as much ear time as my UM3X, HD598, and DT770 LEs. I have a mic cable for the SE215, and they are built to last, so they get time at the beach, for phone calls, during workouts, and any time I don't want to put my UM3X at risk. The HD439 have a really enjoyable, laid back sound so I use them with my phone when I'm just relaxing around the house or need a headphone to throw in my bag on the go. My HD598 and DT770 are used mostly for gaming and real listening sessions, which don't happen as often as I like. UM3X get.most of their ear time on my breaks at work.

I second the HD439's, I love em to death for those times when all you want is a nice, laidback and comfy listening time with nice and seductive mids, extensive but calm bass, and lovely clear treble packaged in a somewhat spacious (Soundstage-wise) package

Users who are viewing this thread

Back