Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Apr 24, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #17 of 388
I heard the Fostex TH7B recently an didnt want to stop listening :p They just sounded fun and warm and refined :) like a wave a warm gentle sounds hit your body, cleansing it from all the lossiness and giving it a sound that is like a cool wind that makes you pedantic towards the audio :D

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 388
I heard the Fostex TH7B recently an didnt want to stop listening :p They just sounded fun and warm and refined :) like a wave a warm gentle sounds hit your body, cleansing it from all the lossiness and giving it a sound that is like a cool wind that makes you pedantic towards the audio :D

I see what you did there.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:43 AM Post #19 of 388
Sennheiser hd280's! The flatness that they provide is amazing. I've been able to steal them from time to time from a close friend and im currently compating on adding a pair to my collection.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #21 of 388
I see a few headphones mentioned are well over $500.
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #23 of 388
Alessandro MS1i /w modded L-cush pads. Though inferior in soundstage, seperation and detail and several other aspecs, they are immensely fun to listen to and is my best spent money so far.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #24 of 388
Quote:
I see a few headphones mentioned are well over $500.
biggrin.gif

Hey, value is relative. I find that my HF2 and AD1000PRM give my HD 580 (black drivers, HD 600 grills) a beating on certain genres. The Grados excel in metal and pop while the Audio Technicas are best for strings and vocals.

They are pretty niche headphones, but their voicing makes them flagship level in those areas while being much lighter on the source/amplifier requirement.

Apr 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #25 of 388
Right now, it's the RSA SA950i. Awesome can on a budget (only $60), very comfortable, musical, warm and lush and reasonably detailed and balanced across the spectrum. It's got a natural tone for it that's for sure. Bass is punchy and has some good texture. Highs are slightly rolled off but it makes for very smooth listening and it responds well to EQ if you want to boost the treble a bit. The detachable iPhone cable comes in handy big time. It's become my favorite grab-and-go headphone, since it's so portable and it isolates pretty well. Even though it's not up there sonically with the likes of an Amperior or a DT1350, I find myself just jamming and toe-tapping to my music a bit more with these. Also comes with 3-year warranty which is icing on the cake IMO.

Not to mention, they look pretty sweet in a very elegant, understated kind of way.

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #27 of 388
Maybe not the " So called Best" but they punch way above their price and work well out of an ipod or a decent rig as well.  I still use these to judge what is " Better" they work so well with everything!!!  

Apr 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #29 of 388
I  like my srh940 even after getting the hd800.
They just sound "enough good" to me, and I  don't have to take additional care because it's too expensive.
I like also my yamaha eph-100 iem, same reason.

Apr 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #30 of 388
My Stax SR-5.

Probably the only thing standing between me and a full SR-009/BHSE setup.

I have listened to a few TOTL Stax setups but keep coming back to the SR-5.

Powered out of a Woo WEE, they sound just right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back