Your favourite "not the best" headphones?
Mar 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #241 of 388
Senn HD439 & Superlux Evo

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #242 of 388
Sony MDR-7506. At home I generally listen to my Fidelio X1's, which are fantastic, but at work I use the 7506's with a Vali amp, Dragonfly DAC, and either FLAC or 320KB MP3's. As fantastic as my X1's sound, the 7506's sound amazing and I'm continually impressed with them, particularly in the setup / chain that I have going. They're so classic I just love them. I also put the Beyer velour pads on so my ears don't get so hot. I'm sure they're not THE BEST, but for $80 they are fantastic.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #244 of 388
are those the HM5 pads? I didn't realize that they fit the V6 - if so then they would also fit the 7506, I assume? I have heard those pads are awesome… they certainly look very comfy. 

Yes, the HM5 pads. I'm 99.9% sure the'll fit a 7506. The pads are very good: excellent fit around the ear and very comfortable. They also make the cans sound less peaky in the highs.

Mar 24, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #245 of 388
  You need an amp that can push 600 Ohms, for portable I've been using ALO Audio MKll.  Home a Meier Classic. 
They frankly work well with Rock but electronica should be fine.  I see these HP's up on EBay now at a cheap price <100 a few years ago they were hot on Head-Fi and it drove the price up>300  they are reasonable now.  Just make sure they were made between 1975-1979. 

Sextett seconded... they're so much fun without being neutral...

As for really getting sextetts - make sure that the metal rings and type plates (and probably the AKG stencil on the headband - if it's not the holed type) are silver. Also the type plates should read AKG with the logo on one side and on the other just K240 in big print (no M, S, DF or whatnot behind the number) and "For Outputs 4-600 Ohms" over the K240 and Made in Austria below it.

The production period is only visible by having a good pic of the inside of the drivers with the six passive resonators visible (EP has orange resonators, MP has off-white with very faint orange rim and LP has just off-white resonators).

Joachim

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #246 of 388
JVC HA-S500.

They have no soundstage, a mid-fi lower mid and upper bass hump, and they are unfocused. Instruments have a unique and bad quality. All sound as if you are inside the instrument, but the soundstage of each one is a huge blob in a general direction. So when you focus on an instrument it is 'somewhere over there' but what you hear sounds like you are inside the guitar, or kick drum, etc.

That said, for a portable that you don't think about they are very good. Deep sub-bass, comfortable, they fold up, the tonal accuracy of each instrument is excellent, and they make all music sound good within their limitations.

Just don't compare them to anything like a SuperLux, TakStar or better.

Mar 27, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #247 of 388
Audio Technica PRO500MK2

Clarity is lacking but it is offset by good sound isolation because they are on-ear headphones that cover my ears completely,durability,portability and excellent bass. I think the 500 sounds better when I increase the bass because the mids and treble sound bland without extra bass.

Mar 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #250 of 388
I guess it's my Shure SRH 1840. It clearly lacks the subwoofer bass of the Shure SE846, but what headphone besides the LCD-2 have got an amazing bass like that? :p

The Shure SRH 1840 is obviously better in the treble, soundstage, imaging and airiness but overall I feel my Shure SE846 is better than my Shure SRH 1840. It's still a nice headphone though, especially the mids are incredibly flat of the Shure SRH 1840 and it's detailed. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:48 PM Post #252 of 388
Beats was also my guilty pleasure, at least the new 2013 model. I heard it, and enjoyed it, but am not going to buy due to horrible customer service. 
I also liked the SOL Republic headphone's, and some skullcandy earbuds. 

The bassy Beyerdynamic COP was my bassy pleasure, but I ultimately had to sell due to bad comfort. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #253 of 388
My favorite not the best, hmm... possibly the Grado SR60 which was extremely fun and energetic, but doesn't hold a candle to my current headphones in every technical metric - but a long margin.

Apr 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #254 of 388
  My favorite not the best, hmm... possibly the Grado SR60 which was extremely fun and energetic, but doesn't hold a candle to my current headphones in every technical metric - but a long margin.

Yes, I agree, I liked the 60 when I had it. Much more so than the 325, ugh that one had my ears on fire! 
triportsad.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #255 of 388
MS1, very fun sounding with a more 'bouncy' sounding bass and more sparkly treble than my other pair of HD558. However it lacks the overall texture detail, soundstage expansiveness and seperation of its more expensive counterpart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back