You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 27, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #4,711 of 6,356
I just noticed something amusing about those pictures. It looks like they're using rather generic-looking RCA cables. You can see it in the background of the one with the Stax SR-009. Guess they don't believe in cables.

They keep the high-end cables behind the STAX actually, at the bottom glass shelves. I should know, I bought high-end cables from them xD

Nov 27, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #4,712 of 6,356
When, little more than a week after recieving a headphone, you already have your next one picked out.

Nov 27, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #4,715 of 6,356
Quote:
When even your most favorite song can't make you smile because of a low quality recording that you can now hear. Ignorance is bliss they say. Knowledge is power they say.

Low quality file or poor recording job?

Honestly if you're so distracted by artifacts in the recording that you can't enjoy the music, you're doing it wrong.

Nov 28, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #4,717 of 6,356
Quote:
Poor recording job mostly, like the hiss sound in the background or the difference between left and right channels.

There are a lot of albums like that.

Which is why I find other albums xD

You know you're an audiophile when you can say you have found your favorite headphones but still want more.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #4,718 of 6,356
It's funny. I've never come across anything in my collection that having better equipment has made unlistenable. Maybe some flaws get unearthed, but either I'm lucky with my music or I can just let that stuff go when the time comes. I do tend to "restore" poor production in my head, such that listening to a poorly produced album I haven't heard in a while I'm momentarily jarred by the flaws, but I can always get back into the groove.

You know you're an audiophile when you spend a good amount of time comparing two different mixes of an album you have and concluding that they both pretty much suck.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #4,719 of 6,356
Quote:
It's funny. I've never come across anything in my collection that having better equipment has made unlistenable. Maybe some flaws get unearthed, but either I'm lucky with my music or I can just let that stuff go when the time comes. I do tend to "restore" poor production in my head, such that listening to a poorly produced album I haven't heard in a while I'm momentarily jarred by the flaws, but I can always get back into the groove.

You know you're an audiophile when you spend a good amount of time comparing two different mixes of an album you have and concluding that they both pretty much suck.

In the Philippines, we have a lot of terribly mixed/recorded music.

You know you're an audiophile when you laugh at a review like this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/headphones/beats-pro-high-performance/4505-7877_7-34210289.html

Hmm... who do I know did a review on the beats pro...

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #4,721 of 6,356
Quote:

Honestly if you're so distracted by artifacts in the recording that you can't enjoy the music, you're doing it wrong.

I can usually deal with everything but hard clipping. It was really bad in Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album.

"I told ya (CLICK!) that I was trouble (POP!),
You know (SNAP!) that I'm (CRACK!) no good (PSST!)."

It's like having a mastering engineer/record A/R executive yelling "I'M INCOMPETENT!" over your music. Kills the vibe.

Nov 28, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #4,722 of 6,356
You know you're an audiohpile when you dream of going to someone's place to test their audiophile equipment...
Just got it this night, there was the leben CS300XS, the matrix mstage and many other

Nov 28, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #4,723 of 6,356
I was brought up on a diet of copied cassettes on the cheapest possible media, but this changed when CDs became a thing. As such I can deal with hiss, and in some cases know that you have to bear a little so that it can retain the detail.

You are now aware that some computers and PMPs hiss a little, where as iPods do not, and as such sound a little flat.

You know you're an audiophile when the thought of taking a walk without headphones is anathema.

Nov 28, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #4,724 of 6,356
Quote:
Quote:

I can usually deal with everything but hard clipping. It was really bad in Amy Winehouse's Back to Black album.

"I told ya (CLICK!) that I was trouble (POP!),
You know (SNAP!) that I'm (CRACK!) no good (PSST!)."

It's like having a mastering engineer/record A/R executive yelling "I'M INCOMPETENT!" over your music. Kills the vibe.

Clipping is by far the worst, and my DT1350 makes it VERY evident... but if it's all I got, I listen to it.

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #4,725 of 6,356
Quote:
I was brought up on a diet of copied cassettes on the cheapest possible media, but this changed when CDs became a thing. As such I can deal with hiss, and in some cases know that you have to bear a little so that it can retain the detail.
You are now aware that some computers and PMPs hiss a little, where as iPods do not, and as such sound a little flat.
You know you're an audiophile when the thought of taking a walk without headphones is anathema.

Ipods do hiss... It is evident with high sensitivity, low impedance IEM's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back