You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #3,106 of 6,356
Quote:
i can't really do that... i don't know anyone who has high end headphones like i do... they dont even know why i need an dac or a headphone amp.

I was thinking less about if they're high-end, but just the general type of headgear. It's like when you see people outside, you notice their clothing and make an inference about them from it. Like clothes, it's not always about the cost.

Think about following people if you saw them on the streets, bus, train, etc. with...

El-cheapo earbuds.
Bose, Skullcandy, or one of those rapper headphones.
A headphone available locally (Sony, JVC, Sennheiser).
A headphone not available locally (Depending on where you live, examples may include Superlux, Grado, and Audio Technica).
A modded headphone.

Sep 7, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #3,108 of 6,356
Prove it!

Repack your best headphones, send them to me for inspection, and I'll provide you with a report detailing how well you did.
Best cosmetically, best looking, best measuring, best sounding, best at their price point, etc? Best is very vague. I could go ahead and wrap those iBuds back in their plastic wrap, ship them to you, and say they were my "best for giving away" headphones and have done exactly what you asked.

I know it's all a joke already, but why not bring my subjectivist side out again and say best is only best in your eyes in the context you place it in.

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #3,110 of 6,356
when you go through the trouble of buying a 4th Gen iPod Classic, a 32GB Compact Flash card, and an adapter just to use the marginally better DAC in said iPod

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #3,111 of 6,356
.. no harddrive has enough space for your music collection.

.. your iTunes Library.xml is bigger than 1GB.

.. you could play your music library over a year without playing a track twice.

.. you backup your music library every day multiple times.

.. you store the backup drive in a place where it's save from house fire.

.. you have more than 100.000 plays on last.fm.

.. your music library contains songs from over 10.000 artists.

.. your whole music library consists of lossless tracks.

.. you buy a CD just because you like one or two tracks from it to get a good quality.

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #3,113 of 6,356
you know when you're one when:

you've been invited to a costume party in October and you're searched in vain for a 'John Grado' costume.   
etysmile.gif

Sep 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM Post #3,115 of 6,356
When headphones are so alluring you find yourself struggling to save up for college...

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #3,117 of 6,356
ALAC format FTL... screw you Apple and your refusal to accept FLAC as your lossless overlord(you too Microsoft).

You guys are silly with your iPods, Cowons are where it's at if you want your music to actually sound good(and if you want to have lossless files supported by more than one media player)

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3,118 of 6,356
ALAC format FTL... screw you Apple and your refusal to accept FLAC as your lossless overlord(you too Microsoft).

You guys are silly with your iPods, Cowons are where it's at if you want your music to actually sound good(and if you want to have lossless files supported by more than one media player)
Everything supports WAV :p

Cowon brags about their EQ too much. If it sounds good flat, I could care less how it sounds EQ'd, and quite a few iPods have pulled that off for me.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:32 PM Post #3,119 of 6,356
Quote:
Everything supports WAV
tongue.gif

Cowon brags about their EQ too much. If it sounds good flat, I could care less how it sounds EQ'd, and quite a few iPods have pulled that off for me.

Heh, if you want one album to fill up your hard drive I guess WAV would be a good choice.

Cowon just has a better DAC though and I believe can deliver more power(correct me if I'm wrong, but mine can get pretty loud). It's a shame that nearly everything else about them is total crap compared to iPods though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back