You know you're an audiophile when...
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 10, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #3,136 of 6,356
Quote:
When this happens I take it as a challenge and make it my mission to show them how awesome my IEMs are and why they should get a pair of great sounding headphones. I use the analogy of why would you watch TV on a cheap tube TV when you could watch the big game on a HD LED TV.

Because if I wanted to watch men in big costumes grapple each other, I could go to a drag club?

On a similar note to the TV analogy, I find that my home setup is better than a majority of venues I go to. I usually keep quiet about this opinion, because most people, even professionals, are of the view that louder is better, and don't care for clarity or extension.

Sep 10, 2012 at 7:53 AM Post #3,137 of 6,356
Because if I wanted to watch men in big costumes grapple each other, I could go to a drag club?

On a similar note to the TV analogy, I find that my home setup is better than a majority of venues I go to. I usually keep quiet about this opinion, because most people, even professionals, are of the view that louder is better, and don't care for clarity or extension.

Lol, I use the sports analogy because it's something the average guy will get excited about and if I can nail him with the feeling he got when he switched from a crappy tube TV to a big screen HD TV, I can say that's the feeling you'll get when you switch from those stale iBuds to MTPGS or another premium IEM or headphone. I don't think a lot of noobs understand clarity or extension because they have never heard it or of it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 9:21 AM Post #3,139 of 6,356
I like the analogy and it's effectiveness. I definitely was what you consider a noob about a year ago. I had heard things of great clarity and extension, but I didn't fully understand it as it was not something that previously interested me and to be honest, that terminology had never really risen into conversation. Now, it's something I understand quite well and in certain cases what I am listening for exclusively on certain tracks (treble extension can be mesmerizing).
Quote:
Lol, I use the sports analogy because it's something the average guy will get excited about and if I can nail him with the feeling he got when he switched from a crappy tube TV to a big screen HD TV, I can say that's the feeling you'll get when you switch from those stale iBuds to MTPGS or another premium IEM or headphone. I don't think a lot of noobs understand clarity or extension because they have never heard it or of it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #3,140 of 6,356
I'm only messing about! If somebody's into sport, it's a great way of illustrating the difference.

The most sure way to educate people about sound is by example: bring out some decent headphones you think they'll like, and see what they think. The problem is that most people will still prefer what they're used to and expect, hence superficially impressive and heavily marketed stuff like Bose and Beats will always win, regardless of how many better options there are.

I usually don't tell people how much I've spent on headphones. They either know already and can recognise a good pair, or they don't care. I don't own anything particularly impressive anyway.

Sep 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #3,141 of 6,356
Sep 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM Post #3,143 of 6,356
Quote:

or a gay bar.

And yeah, in my experience if something does not reach defining volume and continue to push the decibels; people couldn't care less about it.

Sep 10, 2012 at 1:54 PM Post #3,144 of 6,356
Quote:
That's easy.... because my stance is 

I had to break that two days ago since I moved abroad and thats the only way to communicate with the other people here.
mad.gif

Faking facebook, so much crap I have to filter out to actually get the things I need to know.

Sep 10, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #3,146 of 6,356
you know you're an audiophile when you get your favorite song stuck in your head, and somehow manage to get eargasms without actually hearing it...

Sep 10, 2012 at 5:36 PM Post #3,147 of 6,356
Quote:
Everything supports WAV
tongue.gif

Cowon brags about their EQ too much. If it sounds good flat, I could care less how it sounds EQ'd, and quite a few iPods have pulled that off for me.

I love my Cowon x7 because it drives my hd650's to my max listening volume with some headroom to spare.

Also you know your audiophile when you listen to music genres you normally hate just because you like hearing the sound of one instrument you usually don't get to listen to.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #3,149 of 6,356
Quote:

I love my Cowon x7 because it drives my hd650's to my max listening volume with some headroom to spare.

Really? It doesn't leave my HE-400's with much headroom and I thought 650's were a lot harder to drive. 

It could make my MDR-V6's blow my ears off though.

Sep 10, 2012 at 6:35 PM Post #3,150 of 6,356
Quote:

Really? It doesn't leave my HE-400's with much headroom and I thought 650's were a lot harder to drive. 

It could make my MDR-V6's blow my ears off though.

HD650s are easier to drive (loudness) but are harder to drive well (sound quality) compared to HE400.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back