Yo, is there any CLOSED headphones that looks PRETTY and are COMFY??
Dec 22, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #46 of 90
The R-10's, while seeming closed aesthetically, are actually very open. Sony did this on purpose to allow sound to escape to stop waves from cancelling out each other.

If the OP feels that some of the headphones here are too big, then s/he will never truly get a closed headphone. Circumaurul is the only approach to isolation in a closed headphone, unless you go with fake noise cancelling. Although, I was surprised to see how much sound the little Beyer T50P's isolated the listener from the outside world., but they sit on your ear and allow the world to enter your musical experience.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #47 of 90
Ultrasone Pro 900s? Someone else mentioned them but you didn't respond to it. Here's a pic:

I actually own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 2500s right now. Very similar to the 900s. I'd say the comfort is 7/10. Not as comfortable as my Senns or D2000s, both of which I could practically wear forever. I notice some fatigue/sore ears after 3-4 hours when wearing my Pro 2500s, though, I think that's pretty good. Supposedly the Pro 900s have plushier earpads so that should take it up a notch from the 2500s.

***EDIT***

Oh yea, they come with black ear pads, too, which look better in my opinion.

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #49 of 90

Quote:
Circumaurul is the only approach to isolation in a closed headphone, unless you go with fake noise cancelling. Although, I was surprised to see how much sound the little Beyer T50P's isolated the listener from the outside world., but they sit on your ear and allow the world to enter your musical experience.

I'd have to disagree with you there. The HD25-1 IIs have the best isolation I've ever (not) heard from a closed headphone, and they're supra-aural. But for the most part, it's true that circumaural models usually isolate more. And can we not talk about Fanny Wang here? That thread was deleted for a reason.

I'm starting to feel as though the OP isn't serious about actually getting a headphone. All this thread has been is a cycle of:
"Is this pretty enough?"
"No, it's not pretty/too big/too expensive."
There's been no talk whatsoever about what one should be looking for in a headphone: sound reproduction and usability. OP: what music do you usually listen to? Do you like bass, treble, or mids? Are you using these out of an iPod? Where will you be using these - on the go, or at home? Have you considered spending part of your budget on an amp instead?

If you just want to look pretty, get Dre Beats and be done with it. If you want the most out of your money, be less superficial and give us some real input. Otherwise this thread is going nowhere.

Dec 22, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #51 of 90
Sennheiser HD25s

And about the Fanny stuff, I don't think it's banned, but the original thread didn't really have much to do with anything constructive. But I think we can talk about stuff now that we know they're probably not a joke.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #52 of 90

Quote:
immtbiker said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

The R-10's, while seeming closed aesthetically, are actually very open. Sony did this on purpose to allow sound to escape to stop waves from cancelling out each other.

If the OP feels that some of the headphones here are too big, then s/he will never truly get a closed headphone. Circumaurul is the only approach to isolation in a closed headphone, unless you go with fake noise cancelling. Although, I was surprised to see how much sound the little Beyer T50P's isolated the listener from the outside world., but they sit on your ear and allow the world to enter your musical experience.

Denon AH-D1100 aren't big and they're closed.

Quote:
12345142 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Rasmutte said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I forgot to tell you about the sound. The sound should be in "mid-fi" or "hi-fi" range.

If you ask me, "mid-fi" or "hi-fi" is more of a price point than a way to evaluate sound. What do you like most? Treble? Bass? Mids? What music do you normally listen to?
Since you seem to have an aversion to full-size headphones, I would suggest you look into portable supra-aural/circum-aural headphones. If you don't have an amp, I doubt you'll need to spend your entire $1000 budget. Also, if you're looking into closed headphones because sound isolation is a priority, then wood headphones are not for you.

Uhm. I like a bit of everything. I like how my Senn HD598 sound. Maybe a natural sound with a liiiittle more bass, but not too much!
Music? Almost everything, like I said before. Expect rap and such.

Portable supra-aural/circum-aural headphones?

Yeah, and I don't like wood headphones anyway. Maybe it's wrong with me? Too high standards!

Quote:
SpiralStatic said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm sorry, but this thread's title is hilarious. 

And If the OP doesn't care as much about sound, why would he want to spend $1000 on headphones? 
confused.gif

The title is nice!
I do care about sound! But if I found a good headphone for $500, that would be nice too.

Quote:
Voohoo said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ultrasone Pro 900s? Someone else mentioned them but you didn't respond to it. Here's a pic:

I actually own a pair of Ultrasone Pro 2500s right now. Very similar to the 900s. I'd say the comfort is 7/10. Not as comfortable as my Senns or D2000s, both of which I could practically wear forever. I notice some fatigue/sore ears after 3-4 hours when wearing my Pro 2500s, though, I think that's pretty good. Supposedly the Pro 900s have plushier earpads so that should take it up a notch from the 2500s.

***EDIT***

Oh yea, they come with black ear pads, too, which look better in my opinion.

They look pretty good! But I wonder how they will look at me? Maybe, maybe not.

Quote:
sugarkang said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's almost as if Ali G started this thread.
Booyakasha.  Much respect.

Thanks!
Or something, I guess.

Quote:
12345142 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
immtbiker said:
Circumaurul is the only approach to isolation in a closed headphone, unless you go with fake noise cancelling. Although, I was surprised to see how much sound the little Beyer T50P's isolated the listener from the outside world., but they sit on your ear and allow the world to enter your musical experience.

I'd have to disagree with you there. The HD25-1 IIs have the best isolation I've ever (not) heard from a closed headphone, and they're supra-aural. But for the most part, it's true that circumaural models usually isolate more. And can we not talk about Fanny Wang here? That thread was deleted for a reason.

I'm starting to feel as though the OP isn't serious about actually getting a headphone. All this thread has been is a cycle of:
"Is this pretty enough?"
"No, it's not pretty/too big/too expensive."
There's been no talk whatsoever about what one should be looking for in a headphone: sound reproduction and usability. OP: what music do you usually listen to? Do you like bass, treble, or mids? Are you using these out of an iPod? Where will you be using these - on the go, or at home? Have you considered spending part of your budget on an amp instead?

If you just want to look pretty, get Dre Beats and be done with it. If you want the most out of your money, be less superficial and give us some real input. Otherwise this thread is going nowhere.

I'm serious, but my view of things are a bit... strange.
Listen to everything, I like a well balanced sound.
I've got a Cowon iAudio U5 for portable use.
I will use them when I'm home, and on the go!
Yeah, I can spend some on a decent amp, if it's necessary.

No, no Dre Beats for me.

And sorry if I'm annoying. I'm not meant to be that.

Dec 23, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #53 of 90
If the Fanny Wangs on ears are better than the Monster ones, I might look into them. I like going against the norm anyway. I'd sport some Wangs. Seriously...as long as they're good, and just as comfortable.

Dec 23, 2010 at 10:41 AM Post #56 of 90
Other than the 'modded' look, I prefer the wood on the stock D7000...

Wearing D7000s in public, lol. No way.

Dec 23, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #58 of 90
You might want to consider allocating part of your budget towards an amp and DAC. $1000 is a lot to spend on headphones, and most headphones above $500 sound their best with a good source and amplification.

Dec 24, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #59 of 90
Depends on fashion really. In London right now full sized cans are clearly "in" and people walk around with wesc and skullcandy, bose and dre beats everywhere you look.

Very little quality there, but a lot of full sized cans on trendy people's heads.

Dec 26, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #60 of 90

Quote:
Depends on fashion really. In London right now full sized cans are clearly "in" and people walk around with wesc and skullcandy, bose and dre beats everywhere you look.

Very little quality there, but a lot of full sized cans on trendy people's heads.

Same here in Sweden. But the most is Skullcandy. :s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back