Yanyin Discussion thread
Jun 9, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #1,396 of 2,418
The Moonlight sounds great off anything I've tried, including the Apple dongle. My current bang-for-buck source recommendation for something supporting 4.4mm and/or hi-res sample rates is the FiiO KA3 if dongles are cool with you and Bluetooth is unneeded.
I like the Apple dongle, and if it’s good off that it’ll be good off the ES100 too. Good deal!

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #1,397 of 2,418
I like the Apple dongle, and if it’s good off that it’ll be good off the ES100 too. Good deal!
I'm using a Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. It sounds great with the Moonlight but they're so easy to drive I have to use it at low volume and the volume steps are too big.

Apple dongle is probably better for these. You're best going for a quality low-power source.

Jun 9, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #1,398 of 2,418
Much as I’d still wonder what the EJ07 are like…

I just might sell everything to get a Moonlight. The caveat would be 0 funds for source at that point, what’s the most basic source people have used, and did it still keep hold of its magical qualities with that source?

I could probably keep a Hiby R3 Pro (with only balanced working) in the mix, on low gain — or an ES100.

So thoughts on sources, particularly the simplest/cheapest that still yield performance worth chucking everything else out for?

Sorry for typos, quick type up.

Edit: no chance to sell everything off this summer, probably sep-nov.
Go Moonlight it's a peak experience! Makes me sing dance and listen at the time! My dawn delight! I gave the GBB EJ07m which is fantastic, but the Moonlight sounds more live and real. It has what DS calls "Special Sauce" that transcends graphs, SQ ratings or analysis. Very balanced but outstanding bass mids and treble. Good fortune with your decisions.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #1,399 of 2,418
Much as I’d still wonder what the EJ07 are like…

I just might sell everything to get a Moonlight. The caveat would be 0 funds for source at that point, what’s the most basic source people have used, and did it still keep hold of its magical qualities with that source?

I could probably keep a Hiby R3 Pro (with only balanced working) in the mix, on low gain — or an ES100.

So thoughts on sources, particularly the simplest/cheapest that still yield performance worth chucking everything else out for?

Sorry for typos, quick type up.

Edit: no chance to sell everything off this summer, probably sep-nov.
I’m just using an Apple Dongle or my Q5K. Still sounds magical to me.

Jun 10, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #1,403 of 2,418
Bloody moonlight show offs :p!! I've switched to 010 tuning on the canons and find this is the most balanced tuning out of them all and offers the most consistent listening pleasure to my ears - who needs moonlights!
Rule of diminishing returns Moonlight is twice the price for the ? % better you did good with the Canon 👍

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #1,404 of 2,418
Go Moonlight it's a peak experience! Makes me sing dance and listen at the time! My dawn delight! I gave the GBB EJ07m which is fantastic, but the Moonlight sounds more live and real. It has what DS calls "Special Sauce" that transcends graphs, SQ ratings or analysis. Very balanced but outstanding bass mids and treble. Good fortune with your decisions.
Would you say it has enough bite to electric guitars, synths and decent energy to cymbals?

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #1,405 of 2,418
It will be that for sure. Very worthwhile companion to something like the Volts.

Well at the least expect that level of sonic performance. Volts in conjunction with the Totem cable is something special but with the Moonlight everything is soo good from thet get go. And yes these two are complimentary. Musicality and a full bodied sound in the Volts and a reference level of balancing on the Moonlights.

I finally pulled the trigger :see_no_evil:. I had told myself that for now I was going to enjoy the IEMs I already had, and save up in case at the end of the year or the next, something really special came out that didn't skyrocket in price. With all the comments I've read, I couldn't contain myself!

I was also interested in the new Penon Vortex, since I don't have an all-round single DD in my collection (Reecho SG3 is fun for the price, but it's been collecting dust in a drawer for months because I always have something better to try). I guess having the Serial won't much difference. In any case... it will have to wait.

There are too many good things every day in our hobby...

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #1,406 of 2,418
Even with the Canon on 010 the Moonlight is more neutral:

graph.png

In related news I am seriously considering buying the Canon, dual-wielding it and the Moonlight, and retiring from this hobby as an ex-reviewer turned Yanyin fanboy.

Over the past few months I've started to realise that the midbass section is what determines versatility most for me and my library. These do look brilliantly complimentary. If timbre is competitive on both sets...well, I'd be all set.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:47 AM Post #1,407 of 2,418
Over the past few months I've started to realise that the midbass section is what determines versatility most for me and my library. These do look brilliantly complimentary. If timbre is competitive on both sets...well, I'd be all set.
And that's the most neutral setting on the Canon, it can go full basshead or full treblehead as well...

To your other point. as I mentioned earlier timbre on the Moonlight is quite satisfactory to me, the big question mark is the Canon. @tgx78 said it doesn't bother him (although of course it's not up to single-DD levels) so I'm confident enough that I'll likely purchase during the next sale and find out for myself.

Jun 10, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #1,408 of 2,418
And that's the most neutral setting on the Canon, it can go full basshead or full treblehead as well...

To your other point. as I mentioned earlier timbre on the Moonlight is quite satisfactory to me, the big question mark is the Canon. @tgx78 said it doesn't bother him (although of course it's not up to single-DD levels) so I'm confident enough that I'll likely purchase during the next sale and find out for myself.
Audiolevels in his YouTube review also said it has good timbre

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,410 of 2,418
Today I took my headphones from the post office. Canon - excellent headphones. I'll put them on the burn. The switches are very convenient to turn on with a regular toothpick.
The bass sounds great to my ear, deep. The midrange frequencies are in their place, not swamped. The treble frequencies are clean, the cymbals sound precise and sonorous, just what I needed. I am satisfied. And if you also turn on the switch, then it's generally beautiful. I need some time to get used to the headphones. Headphones are perfect for electronic music and all kinds of metal. I will write something significant a little later. But the sound of headphones is clearly much more expensive than their price. I don't need a complete cable and it's just of excellent quality.

Attachments

• IMG_20220610_233550.jpg
    IMG_20220610_233550.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back