Yanyin Discussion thread
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #1,381 of 2,418
Thank you very much for your comments. I'll take it then as a sidegrade. I admit that I like Penon's tuning, and they are the ones that amuse me the most right now, but I like too much variety of musical styles to limit myself to just one tuning. I have some Ety ER2SE that are the reference in neutrality and they are excellent in their price range, although their soundstage is too left-right, but it is what is intended in a studio monitor. I keep wearing them and I like to experience the changes and differences with each one of them. From what I am reading, I am considering the Moonlight to have another point of view in my collection.
Well at the least expect that level of sonic performance. Volts in conjunction with the Totem cable is something special but with the Moonlight everything is soo good from thet get go. And yes these two are complimentary. Musicality and a full bodied sound in the Volts and a reference level of balancing on the Moonlights.

Jun 9, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #1,383 of 2,418
Would you say that Moonlight is less full-bodied and musical than Canon at 000?
Even with the Canon on 010 the Moonlight is more neutral:

graph.png

In related news I am seriously considering buying the Canon, dual-wielding it and the Moonlight, and retiring from this hobby as an ex-reviewer turned Yanyin fanboy.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:32 PM Post #1,384 of 2,418
Without doing a direct comparison, in single ended it actually adds some added body to the sound on the Moonlight. I don't notice anything on the Moonlight to be thin sounding. very engrossing sound. Love the layering of the mids on the Moonlight with a nice broad range. Its imaging is very precise very dimensional, has good noteweight and body to the sounds be it vocals and instruments. Sounds very natural for using BAs, most defintely some of the best BA based timbre I have heard not exactly at the level of the best dynamics but seriously when it is this good, your not gonna care. Canons note weight is roughly similar but everything on the Moonlight has something better on it. Be it how it images, how precise it is, its timbre, transient attack, how natural and fluid it can sound. This is the reason why I know the BAs being used on the Moonlight is a higher level of BA.

Just based on price you would figure something has to be upgraded. On the moonlight you can actually hear the upgrades is my point.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,385 of 2,418
The Moonlight really is at the tipping point of diminishing returns. I own much higher end IEMs or supposed to be higher end IEMs and you would be surprised how close the Moonlight comes to higher end stuff. Some may just outright prefer it.

To get a level up from the Moonlight will take a substantial price point and even then just how much of an upgrade are we talking about here. I will let you guys know I have given only a few earphones this year a full 5 star rating, I know our rating system sucks but it is what it is.

Moonlight is a clear 5 star earphone. It will be tough to do one better at this price point.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:47 PM Post #1,386 of 2,418
The Moonlight really is at the tipping point of diminishing returns. I own much higher end IEMs or supposed to be higher end IEMs and you would be surprised how close the Moonlight comes to higher end stuff. Some may just outright prefer it.

To get a level up from the Moonlight will take a substantial price point and even then just how much of an upgrade are we talking about here. I will let you guys know I have given only a few earphones this year a full 5 star rating, I know our rating system sucks but it is what it is.

Moonlight is a clear 5 star earphone. It will be tough to do one better at this price point.
Based on what I'm reading/hearing, the only reason someone would choose a different and more expensive IEM like EJ07m or Kinda Lava is to add some bass quantity

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,387 of 2,418
Based on what I'm reading/hearing, the only reason someone would choose a different and more expensive IEM like EJ07m or Kinda Lava is to add some bass quantity
Oh yes sweet bass please!

Attachments

• -1214872133-721880779.jpg
    -1214872133-721880779.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 0
Jun 9, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #1,388 of 2,418
Which is why I'm seriously considering adding a Canon to my Moonlight and calling it a day: Moonlight for reference sound with excellent technicalities, Canon for the ability to switch between various "fun" tunings. I don't want to go with the EJ07/KL because I do want a reference tuning for sound work.

The only question is whether the timbre on the Canon is good enough not to bother me. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the next sale and find out.

Jun 9, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #1,389 of 2,418
Which is why I'm seriously considering adding a Canon to my Moonlight and calling it a day: Moonlight for reference sound with excellent technicalities, Canon for the ability to switch between various "fun" tunings. I don't want to go with the EJ07/KL because I do want a reference tuning for sound work.

The only question is whether the timbre on the Canon is good enough not to bother me. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the next sale and find out.
I don't hear any timbre issues, but I'm not the best at detecting BA timbre. They sound excellent, and like you said, tunable to fit your mood. I'm sure Penon or Yaoyaotiger will have a sale in the near future :)

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #1,390 of 2,418
Don't know if you guys know who @drbluenewmexico is. He produces live EDM shows in the New Mexico music scene. You can safely say he is an old school basshead by nature. When drblue comes on these threads and loves an earphone for its bass. You better believe it has some proper bass. Moonlights bass end will be source tip and cable dependent. It has plenty of bass and does not lag behind the overall scheme of your music on any genre your listening to. Bass is highly detailed vs being overly cooked on the Moonlight but if you reqire more bass. It is as easy as adding a bit of bass boost or flicking the boost switch on my Black label.

It really is a complete sounding experience and yes I listen to all bass genres myself.

Jun 9, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #1,391 of 2,418

I may have a Canon in the classifieds soon. Still A/Bing between the it and the Serial to see which I am going to keep and I am currently leaning towards the Serial

Jun 9, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,392 of 2,418
Another review of the Canon:

Jun 9, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #1,393 of 2,418
Don't know if you guys know who @drbluenewmexico is. He produces live EDM shows in the New Mexico music scene. You can safely say he is an old school basshead by nature. When drblue comes on these threads and loves an earphone for its bass. You better believe it has some proper bass. Moonlights bass end will be source tip and cable dependent. It has plenty of bass and does not lag behind the overall scheme of your music on any genre your listening to. Bass is highly detailed vs being overly cooked on the Moonlight but if you reqire more bass. It is as easy as adding a bit of bass boost or flicking the boost switch on my Black label.

It really is a complete sounding experience and yes I listen to all bass genres myself.
Thanks for the positive reference DS!
I find the Moonlight wonderful for EDM But also great for acoustic rock, jazz and classical. I wake up at dawn and listen to a variety of tracks selected for me by Tidal from old classic tracks to current Blues to classical. Although I used to do my listening through Focal Radiance headphones I can't switch back since burning in my Moonlights!
They disappear into the music, into the rythmns, voices, brass electric or acoustic guitars. I have to remember to get up and have coffee ! This us a desktop system with the excellent Earmen Trautto DAC and Tube Micrizotal headphone amp upgraded by Mojo Audio. I experience the music as a live sound event not streaming from an IPod Air like it actually is!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #1,394 of 2,418
Much as I’d still wonder what the EJ07 are like…

I just might sell everything to get a Moonlight. The caveat would be 0 funds for source at that point, what’s the most basic source people have used, and did it still keep hold of its magical qualities with that source?

I could probably keep a Hiby R3 Pro (with only balanced working) in the mix, on low gain — or an ES100.

So thoughts on sources, particularly the simplest/cheapest that still yield performance worth chucking everything else out for?

Sorry for typos, quick type up.

Edit: no chance to sell everything off this summer, probably sep-nov.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #1,395 of 2,418
Much as I’d still wonder what the EJ07 are like…

I just might sell everything to get a Moonlight. The caveat would be 0 funds for source at that point, what’s the most basic source people have used, and did it still keep hold of its magical qualities with that source?

I could probably keep a Hiby R3 Pro (with only balanced working) in the mix, on low gain — or an ES100.

So thoughts on sources, particularly the simplest/cheapest that still yield performance worth chucking everything else out for?

Sorry for typos, quick type up.

Edit: no chance to sell everything off this summer, probably sep-nov.
The Moonlight sounds great off anything I've tried, including the Apple dongle. My current bang-for-buck source recommendation for something supporting 4.4mm and/or hi-res sample rates is the FiiO KA3 if dongles are cool with you and Bluetooth is unneeded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back