Yanyin Discussion thread
Jun 8, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,366 of 2,418
The way it is tuned, the balancing and its romantic presentation is more closer to how the Aladdin is tuned but I feel it is an upgrade on the Canon as well.

On my review I will post comparisons vs the Aladdin and Canon and post why I feel the Moonlight is an upgrade on both but for now the Moonlight is clearly playing on a different level vs the other two the good news there is I feel each earphone has its own complete sound vs the Moonlight. Its a case where if you never heard the Moonlight you will be happy with either one for its own sound qualities.

Its just that the Moonlights refinements are on a different level.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #1,367 of 2,418
The one consistency with Yanyin products is their bass presentation. All 3 IEMS the Aladdin, Canon and Moonlight are pretty much using the same dynamic for its bass. These guys are masters at getting balance in an earphone presentation hence you will not have any one of these have any type of bass bleed or bloaty bass.

So what it really comes down to is how Yanyin has massaged the mids and treble to come up with each phone here. I am very certain they upgraded the Knowles BAs on the Moonlight over the other two.

You can hear the difference. Its not just sheer authority but its tonal character as well. Moonlight has to be one of the most natural sounding BA based tribrid in existence and its that naturalness that really defines the Moonlight.

Moonlights on a good source and your right there with the artist and isn't that why we pay the money to play? That speaks volumes for how good these IEMs are. One of the most transparent natural, dynamic and refined earphones I can think of for the bucks. There is no weird off tonality, no treble spikes, no bass slugishness. Details at every level, broad wide and deep stage. Its just you and your music. That my friends is what makes these their best sounding Yanyin earphones I have heard.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #1,368 of 2,418
The one consistency with Yanyin products is their bass presentation. All 3 IEMS the Aladdin, Canon and Moonlight are pretty much using the same dynamic for its bass. These guys are masters at getting balance in an earphone presentation hence you will not have any one of these have any type of bass bleed or bloaty bass.

So what it really comes down to is how Yanyin has massaged the mids and treble to come up with each phone here. I am very certain they upgraded the Knowles BAs on the Moonlight over the other two.

You can hear the difference. Its not just sheer authority but its tonal character as well. Moonlight has to be one of the most natural sounding BA based tribrid in existence and its that naturalness that really defines the Moonlight.

Moonlights on a good source and your right there with the artist and isn't that why we pay the money to play? That speaks volumes for how good these IEMs are. One of the most transparent natural, dynamic and refined earphones I can think of for the bucks. There is no weird off tonality, no treble spikes, no bass slugishness. Details at every level, broad wide and deep stage. Its just you and your music. That my friends is what makes these their best sounding Yanyin earphones I have heard.
Penon told me that Yanyin upgraded BA from Aladdin to Canon. so I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded for Moonlight as well.

That my friends is what makes these their best sounding Yanyin earphones I have heard.
So you mean Moonlight is Yanyin's best IEM? Or Moonlight is the best IEM you've heard? I guess the former...?

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #1,369 of 2,418
Penon told me that Yanyin upgraded BA from Aladdin to Canon. so I wouldn't be surprised if they upgraded for Moonlight as well.

So you mean Moonlight is Yanyin's best IEM? Or Moonlight is the best IEM you've heard? I guess the former...?

Cant say it is the best IEM, There will always be better. But given what yanyin had to work with and how they managed to get the sound from these drivers to mesh so well. These are easily one of the best IEMs in the market at any price. Just the fact that you can't point at any part of its sound and clearly say. This could be better and that could be better. These are hitting on all cylinders and there is really no weakness to its sound.

I have earphones that cost 3X as much that I can point out what could be better. Not so much the Moonlights. It isn't perfect but they get damn close.

Jun 8, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #1,370 of 2,418
Thanks @Dsnuts... with each post, I am more tempted to buy them. Right now my reference in tribids are the Volts. If you can include them as a comparison in your review, it would be appreciated. I bought second-hand Volts as an upgrade to my Oracles, which never convinced me, and I still enjoy them every day, alternating with Serials. Honestly, I don't have much money to spare, but the Moonlights are very tempting and I would think about it if they were a clear improvement.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #1,371 of 2,418
Thanks @Dsnuts... with each post, I am more tempted to buy them. Right now my reference in tribids are the Volts. If you can include them as a comparison in your review, it would be appreciated. I bought second-hand Volts as an upgrade to my Oracles, which never convinced me, and I still enjoy them every day, alternating with Serials. Honestly, I don't have much money to spare, but the Moonlights are very tempting and I would think about it if they were a clear improvement.
I still haven't heard the Volts, more's the pity, but I'm familiar with the Penon house sound and the Moonlight is definitely more reference in sound than the Volt and even to some extent the Serial (although certainly it's closer to the Serial). Penon IEMs always have character, even the relatively more neutral Serial, whereas the Moonlight is simply supremely faithful to the recordings my ear. To be clear the Moonlight is the best IEM I have heard to date, but if you're looking for something with some euphonic richness like Penon provides you might find the Moonlight a bit too safe.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #1,372 of 2,418
I wouldn't be surprised at all. that most likely it will turn out that Aladdin and Canon will be the most successful models of headphones in the Yanyin line. All this buzz that has arisen around the Moonlight is nothing more than just a fascination with another novelty. The hype will pass, and time will put everything in its place and it will be seen who will come out the winner.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #1,373 of 2,418
I wouldn't be surprised at all. that most likely it will turn out that Aladdin and Canon will be the most successful models of headphones in the Yanyin line. All this buzz that has arisen around the Moonlight is nothing more than just a fascination with another novelty. The hype will pass, and time will put everything in its place and it will be seen who will come out the winner.
The Moonlight is a gigantic improvement over the Aladdin, I can tell you from personal experience. Haven't heard the Canon, but the Moonlight is the fulfillment of the promise the Aladdin made.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #1,374 of 2,418
If I knew how the high-frequency range is implemented in the moonlight, I would also pay attention to it. I like aggression on the HF, so that there are a lot of them, without experiencing a shortage. But there is a big risk that I will not get it if there are EST drivers in the Moonlight. I had an OG Shuoer EJ07. They sorely lacked high frequencies and their brilliance. I sold them with joy, having lost a decent part of the money from the original cost. 600 dollars for Russians is a decent amount.

Jun 8, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #1,375 of 2,418
I can do that on my review which I am working on. Moonlights and Volts have their own character and I agree with Kutuzovbandit that Penon has their own house tuning that makes the Volts one of the most organic rich sounding earphones at its price class over the Moonlight. More analoguish and musical in its presentation.

Moonlight has its advantage on balance and a more realistic tonal character vs the Volts. I prefer the Moonlight treble presentation over the Volts but slightly prefer Volts mids presentation and the bass ends are similarly excellent. So these two earphones will trade blows and I feel both are excellent at their price asked. It will come down to if you want a different flavor in that higher tier of tribrid range. I don't percieve one being clearly superior vs the other but you have to take into the account of who is making them. Penon does more organic sounding earphones by the sheer nature of using Sonion BAs and how they tune the treble area to be non fatiguing. Yanyin uses some of the best Knowles BAs and have reference level of balancing on each of their IEMs. Different brands and tuning philosophies but ultimately achieving excellent sound from each.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #1,376 of 2,418
If I knew how the high-frequency range is implemented in the moonlight, I would also pay attention to it. I like aggression on the HF, so that there are a lot of them, without experiencing a shortage. But there is a big risk that I will not get it if there are EST drivers in the Moonlight. I had an OG Shuoer EJ07. They sorely lacked high frequencies and their brilliance. I sold them with joy, having lost a decent part of the money from the original cost. 600 dollars for Russians is a decent amount.
Did you get Canon already?

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #1,378 of 2,418
Should arrive any day now. Somewhere nearby.
I was looking closely at Canon but was directed to other hype train of Tansio Mirai Sands with some crazy treble boost, quite a spontaneous and risky move :sweat_smile:. From feedback it seems it is something that I am looking for, if not, then I am going to be only planars' believer :ksc75smile:. Regards Moonlight, yes, it is risky, it has similar treble response to my EJ07m which was lacking some treble energy in its stock tuning, couldn't accept it so raised its highs by 3,5 dB, then it was alright, sorry for repetition, though my Fiio FH7 had even better energy for percussion.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #1,379 of 2,418
I still haven't heard the Volts, more's the pity, but I'm familiar with the Penon house sound and the Moonlight is definitely more reference in sound than the Volt and even to some extent the Serial (although certainly it's closer to the Serial). Penon IEMs always have character, even the relatively more neutral Serial, whereas the Moonlight is simply supremely faithful to the recordings my ear. To be clear the Moonlight is the best IEM I have heard to date, but if you're looking for something with some euphonic richness like Penon provides you might find the Moonlight a bit too safe.

I can do that on my review which I am working on. Moonlights and Volts have their own character and I agree with Kurt that Penon has their own house tuning that makes the Volts one of the most organic rich sounding earphones at its price class over the Moonlight. More analoguish and musical in its presentation.

Moonlight has its advantage on balance and a more realistic tonal character vs the Volts. I prefer the Moonlight treble presentation over the Volts but slightly prefer Volts mids presentation and the bass ends are similarly excellent. So these two earphones will trade blows and I feel both are excellent at their price asked. It will come down to if you want a different flavor in that higher tier of tribrid range. I don't percieve one being clearly superior vs the other but you have to take into the account of who is making them. Penon does more organic sounding earphones by the sheer nature of using Sonion BAs and how they tune the treble area to be non fatiguing. Yanyin uses some of the best Knowles BAs and have reference level of balancing on each of their IEMs. Different brands and tuning philosophies but ultimately achieving excellent sound from each.
Thank you very much for your comments. I'll take it then as a sidegrade. I admit that I like Penon's tuning, and they are the ones that amuse me the most right now, but I like too much variety of musical styles to limit myself to just one tuning. I have some Ety ER2SE that are the reference in neutrality and they are excellent in their price range, although their soundstage is too left-right, but it is what is intended in a studio monitor. I keep wearing them and I like to experience the changes and differences with each one of them. From what I am reading, I am considering the Moonlight to have another point of view in my collection.

Jun 8, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #1,380 of 2,418
From what I am reading, I am considering the Moonlight to have another point of view in my collection.
It will be that for sure. Very worthwhile companion to something like the Volts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back