Yanyin Discussion thread
Jun 6, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #1,351 of 2,418
Well if you read the reviews posted on the Tansio Mirai Sands best thing sliced bread perfect 5*... 🤔 Forget about the Tuning switches who needs them LOL. Let's just review with it being in 3rd gear be damed if it has 5 and reverse.

Good thing I have senses and a BS meter.

Maybe the entire review system needs to change why not 10*
Or format a consistent way like

Paid for or given for review
Price$
What's in the box ? /10
Size and fitment ? /10
Tonality
Stage
Sub Bass
Mid bass
Midrange
Mid Highs
Highs
Comparisons
******Value ******

Conclusion / Personal Opinion

My rant on reviews lately.
Love the content on here keep up the good work and your time and opinions are appreciated.
❤️J

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #1,352 of 2,418
How do you rate its EST implementation compared to Akiba. Can you please compare them?
Also when compared to something like ISN H50, is the Moonlight too bass shy.
Thank you.
Akiba has the most complete dimensional treble I have ever heard on any earphone but the Moonlight is right up there with some of the best quality EST implemented treble.. Akiba is a bit different in their drivers in that it uses a single BA for its treble and 4ESTs for the upper treble. Has more emphasis for its lower and mid trebles vs the Moonlight. Extension for both sets are similar. Moonlights treble emphasis is a bit on the smoother side due to the less emphasis especially for its mid trebles.

Tanio Mirai house tuning incorporates a full treble end on all their earphones. So they are different in how trebles are portrayed most Tansio trebles are more emphasized than not, a bit more lively and energetic in its treble portrayal. Moonlights are more smoother due to less emphasis but its extension is ideal. So it is a trade off of less presence on the Moonlight a non fatiguing yet detailed treble end.

I don't consider the Moonlight to have a weak bass end if thats what your worried about. Much like how Tansio is a bit more pronounced for its treble, ISN earphones are a bit more pronounced for its bass emphasis but the quality of both the treble and the bass ends are excellent. There is really not a part of the Moonlight that lags behind any other ports of the sound and that's what makes the Moonlight special in my book.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #1,353 of 2,418
One of the big parts of why I want the mest is its shell material - carbon fiber. After my Legacy 3 dropping from 8 meters and shattering their resin shell, I don't want to take any chances and frankly, the Moonlight is resin as well. That fall was due to a faulty cable connector though.
I am honestly quite lost at this point but still think I'll take the MEST - if I want a nice relaxed sound, I take my headphones. On the go, outside, where I actually listen to music instead of just vibing to it, I think I'd rather take a hyper analytical set with stunning technicalities. Is the bone conductor doing anything? I don't know but the general package I think is amazing. I have tried to find a single instance of QC issues on the MEST, like a driver dying (ThieAudio moment) or the socket/shell shattering (Moondrop Variations moment) and couldn't find a single thing.

Do you think good parametric EQ will help tame the MEST and make it more coherent? I always use it and can do so again on the MEST. Moonlight I just feel might be too much of a gamble for me - no QC data, resin shell and lesser technicalities
EQ certainly help with the MESTs base tuning which should help a bit with coherency. As per build I can understand your reasoning for concern but at this point I would guess around 75%-80% of all earphone builds are either poured resin or hollowed resin/ plastic.

I have never had an IEM break on me but I use each IEM like they are my last pair. I use certain pairs for when I am active and when I am stationary. Can't assume just because your Legacy 3 broke, I mean 8 meters is quite a long fall, that can damage any IEM. The likelihood your gonna have an IEM fall again from that height is unlikely is my point.

Most resin builds are built strong and with normal use with the occasional drop is ok but 8 meters? You can't be afraid to try new IEMs just because it is made of resin. Just don't drop them 8 meters. Lol. I dont know if it is a part of any manufacturing QC to drop an IEM 8 meters to test how durable the IEM shells are.

Jun 6, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #1,354 of 2,418
Akiba has the most complete dimensional treble I have ever heard on any earphone but the Moonlight is right up there with some of the best quality EST implemented treble.. Akiba is a bit different in their drivers in that it uses a single BA for its treble and 4ESTs for the upper treble. Has more emphasis for its lower and mid trebles vs the Moonlight. Extension for both sets are similar. Moonlights treble emphasis is a bit on the smoother side due to the less emphasis especially for its mid trebles.

Tanio Mirai house tuning incorporates a full treble end on all their earphones. So they are different in how trebles are portrayed most Tansio trebles are more emphasized than not, a bit more lively and energetic in its treble portrayal. Moonlights are more smoother due to less emphasis but its extension is ideal. So it is a trade off of less presence on the Moonlight a non fatiguing yet detailed treble end.

I don't consider the Moonlight to have a weak bass end if thats what your worried about. Much like how Tansio is a bit more pronounced for its treble, ISN earphones are a bit more pronounced for its bass emphasis but the quality of both the treble and the bass ends are excellent. There is really not a part of the Moonlight that lags behind any other ports of the sound and that's what makes the Moonlight special in my book.
Thank you very much for the detailed comparison.

Jun 6, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #1,355 of 2,418
EQ certainly help with the MESTs base tuning which should help a bit with coherency. As per build I can understand your reasoning for concern but at this point I would guess around 75%-80% of all earphone builds are either poured resin or hollowed resin/ plastic.

I have never had an IEM break on me but I use each IEM like they are my last pair. I use certain pairs for when I am active and when I am stationary. Can't assume just because your Legacy 3 broke, I mean 8 meters is quite a long fall, that can damage any IEM. The likelihood your gonna have an IEM fall again from that height is unlikely is my point.

Most resin builds are built strong and with normal use with the occasional drop is ok but 8 meters? You can't be afraid to try new IEMs just because it is made of resin. Just don't drop them 8 meters. Lol. I dont know if it is a part of any manufacturing QC to drop an IEM 8 meters to test how durable the IEM shells are.
It was obviously not intentional lol. I was in Italy and my Legacy 3 had a QDC socket with very loose grip. While I was packing them, one of the earphones disconnected and dropped from a balcony. The lesson I learnt is that mistakes like this happen, no matter how rarely. And if I can buy an earphone that is hyper-analytical like the MEST that is also very durable and has no QC issues with the drivers dying (ekhm ThieAudio Monarch), I am inclined to do so.
Am I afraid to try new ones? Yeah because if they break on me due to any reason, dropped or just died, I can't afford a new one of the same class.

Jun 6, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #1,356 of 2,418
To be fair I am willing to bet you if you dropped the MEST from 8 meters it might break as well. You might consider something like the IE900 or something that uses a single dynamic with an alloy metal housing as those generally have less parts to it which in turn should be something that is much more sturdy. Anything with multiple drivers will fall into that category of being somewhat brittle due to how many drivers are being used. A fall from 8 meters the shell could be fine but what happens if one of the drivers are out of alignment or no longer works in any tribrid or hybrid for that matter. Might as well be smashed as it is pretty much the same thing or non functioning.

Soemthing to consider I suppose.

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #1,357 of 2,418
To be fair I am willing to bet you if you dropped the MEST from 8 meters it might break as well. You might consider something like the IE900 or something that uses a single dynamic with an alloy metal housing as those generally have less parts to it which in turn should be something that is much more sturdy. Anything with multiple drivers will fall into that category of being somewhat brittle due to how many drivers are being used. A fall from 8 meters the shell could be fine but what happens if one of the drivers are out of alignment or no longer works in any tribrid or hybrid for that matter. Might as well be smashed as it is pretty much the same thing or non functioning.

Soemthing to consider I suppose.
Yeah I know, it's mostly ensuring it survives the lesser things. IE900 or IE600 might be good but I'm not sure if it's really what I want. Honestly though, the L3 was saved by being incredibly light and it's still working 100% after gluing it back together.

I considered other resin shell IEMs but decided against that because honestly, what better is there at the price? A used MEST is around the Moonlight but YanYin has so far produced the Aladdin (which is controversial), Canon (which has very few reviews) and the Moonlight. Will there be drivers dying for no reason like ThieAudio? That's my biggest worry honestly. Variations was meant to be my choice but they crack shells and shatter sockets for no reason.

No IEM is truly safe but at the price point of around 700$ I believe YanYin might have a winner... but they have to prove themselves first.

Jun 6, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,358 of 2,418
but YanYin has so far produced the Aladdin (which is controversial)
Controversial? I know Precog panned its technicalities (mainly resolution and transients) but he pans almost everything. Most other reviews of the Aladdin I've seen have agreed that it has excellent tonality and at least decent technicalities at the price. Not sure that even Precog would disagree strongly with that statement.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #1,359 of 2,418
Controversial? I know Precog panned its technicalities but he pans almost everything. Most other reviews of the Aladdin I've seen have agreed that it has excellent tonality and at least decent technicalities at the price. Not sure that even Precog would disagree strongly with that statement.
I was speaking mostly from my own point of view as well as I am mostly after technicalities while tuning can always be EQd to some extent but what I meant mostly is that YanYin doesn't yet have enough of an audience to have proven their quality control. It might be fantastic but as of right now, we have no idea yet.

Jun 7, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #1,360 of 2,418
Akros has reviewed the Moonlight:
Hype train incoming

Jun 7, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #1,361 of 2,418
1654659499671.png
So it has occurred to me tonight that this might cause a potential problem with tight 2 pin insertions.

I am trying out a different cable tonight on the Moonlights and for some reason went all the way in and started to get very tight after this point you can see in the pics. Best way to deal with this and insert the cable in correct is to gently wiggle the cable into the female end of the housing to fit flush. Try not to physically force that all the way in.

I had a good friend of mine that tried a new cable on one of his earphones and ended up pushing his 2 pin female shroud into the housing by just force pushing his cable into the housing. Wiggling and gently pushing the 2 pin toward the housing is the key there. Just a friendly tip to avoid any issues.

Jun 8, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #1,362 of 2,418
New review of the Aladdin!

Jun 8, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #1,363 of 2,418
New review of the Aladdin!

Agree with every single word. The Aladdins are incredibly special. Canons are just a notch ahead with my ears. But I can imagine many being more than happy with the Aladdins, the touch more bass I was missing I have with the bass switch on with the Canons. Plus I notice more details in the songs I know quite well

Jun 8, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #1,364 of 2,418
Well now that I have had the Moonlight for a few weeks. I can say the Moonlight resembles the Aladdin a bit more so than the Canon in how it sounds. It takes that Aladdin balancing into a much more refined realm. Folks that loved them some Aladdin. Moonlight is what you should be aiming for. It is like an ultimate Aladdin.

Jun 8, 2022 at 10:29 AM Post #1,365 of 2,418
Well now that I have had the Moonlight for a few weeks. I can say the Moonlight resembles the Aladdin a bit more so than the Canon in how it sounds. It takes that Aladdin balancing into a much more refined realm. Folks that loved them some Aladdin. Moonlight is what you should be aiming for. It is like an ultimate Aladdin.
So Moonlight and Canon can both can be considered an upgrade over Aladdin, but Moonlight is not really an upgrade to Canon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back