Yanyin Discussion thread
Aug 6, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #136 of 2,418
Ok, so breaking news: I made a rookie error and I blame it on being distracted by work all day. I had the Shanling M8 on 'turbo gain' and it was messing with the signature to a significant degree. I didn't notice because the M8 has a really low noise floor so I wasn't put off by hiss. By changing to low gain, the midrange is decompressed and male and female vocals sound better. (Particularly pertinent to @rattlingblanketwoman)

Essentially meaning I'm now actually hearing what the tuner intended and guys & gals, it's wonderful.

Stay tuned for the review.
Happened the same , while listening to my kanas pro ( trying it out after changing filters ) with my N6ii 🤣
Good luck , waiting on your review

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #137 of 2,418
Ok, so breaking news: I made a rookie error and I blame it on being distracted by work all day. I had the Shanling M8 on 'turbo gain' and it was messing with the signature to a significant degree. I didn't notice because the M8 has a really low noise floor so I wasn't put off by hiss. By changing to low gain, the midrange is decompressed and male and female vocals sound better. (Particularly pertinent to @rattlingblanketwoman)

Essentially meaning I'm now actually hearing what the tuner intended and guys & gals, it's wonderful.

Stay tuned for the review.
tumblr_m1vdlhn4bs1qk553k.gif

Oh boy!

Aug 6, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #138 of 2,418
Aug 6, 2021 at 11:08 PM Post #139 of 2,418
unnamed.png
First out of box impression .

This is a new company that started in 2020. Made up of industry pros that decided to start their own thing. Don't know exactly what the history of the folks that make up this company but I do know one thing. Their very first offering called the Aladdin here is gonna make some waves.

Aladdin is comprised of 3 Knowles BAs and a 9.2mm Biocellulos diaphragm handling the bass. While the configuration is nothing new. What is new is how expertly tuned this product is. Nothing about the package jumps out at me as a premium earphone or anything special, but the sound here is incredibly mature and I can tell has some experts at the helm. For a first time product from a no named manufacturer the sound of this hybrid even out of the box has refinements that is hard to get at the price point.

Tonality is very natural, airy, technically sound, dimensional with a holography that I was not expecting , I can tell they are using two Knowles BAs for the mids here as the imaging in the mids are outstanding, I recognize this design from much higher end offerings something like the TSMR-LAND or even Volts that utilize two BAs firing off in unison to get that mids imaging, the sound is so coherent it has a smoothness borderline silky in tonality.
These remind me a lot of the IBasso IT07.

Balancing is superb and has a very nicely refined articulate detailed treble which can make or break a hybrid tuning.
If you have ever heard biological dynamics. AKA VSonic GR07. This particular bass end sounds organic, agile and hits deep with a top of the line texture for sub bass.

Needless to say I am very impressed. These are going to be selling I believe for less than $250. Keep an eye out for this one. Absolutely superb sounding earphones.
Interesting- another biocellulose IEM! I still have my GR07X and the TRN MT1 (the latter of which I dislike :joy:)

Aug 7, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #140 of 2,418
Interesting- another biocellulose IEM! I still have my GR07X and the TRN MT1 (the latter of which I dislike :joy:)

I'm finding the DD is able to convey brilliant texture. Udu (drum), bass strings etc. All really natural. I haven't heard many biocellulose but I like what I hear.

Few more pictures, including my chosen tip style:

_DSC2260.jpg
_DSC2262.jpg

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #141 of 2,418
If I remember correct the original Bio film dynamic was developed by Sony. Made famous by Vsonic GR07 which if any of you folks have ever owned one or heard one. It had some serious sub bass presence. The rest of the sound was flat monitor like with a treble spike that was a bit irritating otherwise the GR07 spurred on maybe 5 different versions. Never understood why folks loved these. I sold off my set never was curious about another set. Vsonic never went on to do anything to top it really. More recently the first tribrid that Penon introduced about 2 years ago the Mofast Trio which also has some stout sub bass. Now we have it on the Aladdin.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #142 of 2,418
If I remember correct the original Bio film dynamic was developed by Sony. Made famous by Vsonic GR07 which if any of you folks have ever owned one or heard one. It had some serious sub bass presence. The rest of the sound was flat monitor like with a treble spike that was a bit irritating otherwise the GR07 spurred on maybe 5 different versions. Never understood why folks loved these. I sold off my set never was curious about another set. Vsonic never went on to do anything to top it really. More recently the first tribrid that Penon introduced about 2 years ago the Mofast Trio which also has some stout sub bass. Now we have it on the Aladdin.
GR07 made it renowned in IEMs; for headphones it was popular in Fostex and Denon models *(after the ancient Sony R10 of course) :slight_smile:

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #143 of 2,418
Review published here for those interested.

This is a very solid IEM - the tuning is on point and it's backed up by great technical gusto. The greatest strength is its tonal balance and sheer versatility.

I threw everything I could at it, from traditional West African music to American desert rock / stoner metal and it handles it better than alot of IEMs I've tried.

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #144 of 2,418
Review published here for those interested.

This is a very solid IEM - the tuning is on point and it's backed up by great technical gusto. The greatest strength is its tonal balance and sheer versatility.

I threw everything I could at it, from traditional West African music to American desert rock / stoner metal and it handles it better than alot of IEMs I've tried.
Being an all-rounder is key, once all the experimentation is done, my budget can only handle one IEM. Looking forward to reading your review later!

Aug 7, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #145 of 2,418
When you guys get your Aladdin make sure to listen to this with stock tips, preferably on your chosen streaming platform:

You will struggle to find a better representation of strings (in this case kamancheh and tanbur) at any price point to be quite honest.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #146 of 2,418
When you guys get your Aladdin make sure to listen to this with stock tips, preferably on your chosen streaming platform:

You will struggle to find a better representation of strings (in this case kamancheh and tanbur) at any price point to be quite honest.

Haven't listened to the link on my current setup, but will do.

Can't wait to try the Aladdin with Max Richter, Clint Mansell, Jordi Savall... I'm so glad "serviceable" wasn't the final word in the end! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aug 7, 2021 at 10:11 PM Post #147 of 2,418
@ian91 you might like this, 😊

Aug 8, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #149 of 2,418
Still putting Aladdin through its paces using stock tips. I always end up back with string instruments, which I think is a testament to the timbre and tonality of this set. It has got it in spades.

This was recorded in the open evening air. At the beginning you can hear the sound of a sheep far off in the distance. With an intimate performance by the Kora (Ballake Sissoko) on the right and the cello (Vincent Segal) on the left.
Listen to this one when you're feeling contemplative or just want something full of hope...

Edit: I'm probably talking to myself in this thread, but just want to get my thoughts down in writing. Here is another track. Ganges Delta Blues by Ry Cooder and V.M. Bhatt. Slide guitar and tabla. The strings are awesome, but what really impresses me is the tabla. You can hear exactly how tight/loose the skin on the drum is, where on the surface the musician is tapping and on the deeper hits you can feel every resonant beat.

The DD and the two mid BA drivers are truly a match made in heaven. Honestly, not only am I BA convert now, I am a Yanyin convert.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back