Yanyin Aladdin

500+ Head-Fier
Versatility with a Hint of Romance
Pros: Extremely balanced and versatile tonality
Textured, detailed, well-extended bass without any bloat or bleed
Full and liquid mids that don't sacrifice neutrality
Exceptionally even, well-extended, and non-fatiguing treble
Highly coherent for a hybrid
Very good soundstage and imaging
Excellent layering and separation
Outstanding build quality
Outstanding comfort
Very nice stock cable
Cons: Lacking in dynamics, some might find it dull or boring
Not much sparkle or shimmer in the treble
Overall detail and resolution are mediocre for price range
Lacking accessories such as tip variety and storage case
Introduction: Yanyin is a new company established just last year in 2020, made up of various industry veterans who are now embarking on a new venture. Their first “music series” earphone and likewise their first product to reach Western markets, the Aladdin, is a hybrid 1DD+3BA IEM that has been making waves recently on HeadFi for its remarkably mature tuning (especially for a freshman effort).

DSC01102.jpg

According to the packaging literature, Yanyin has named the Aladdin in honor of the Aladdin Suite by Carl Nielson. This score was originally composed for a dramatic adaption of the Aladdin stories, and was moreover intended to accompany dances inspired by various world cultures. We can therefore surmise that Yanyin intended this IEM to embody a certain romanticism, as well as to exemplify a broadness of spirit and capacity for versatility. Have they succeeded? Read on to find out.

I would like to thank Penon Audio for providing a sample of the Aladdin in exchange for my honest review. The Aladdin retails for $245 and can be purchased here. Specifications are as follows:
  • Driver: 1 dynamic + 3 balanced armature
  • Frequency response: 5Hz-22kHz
  • Input sensitivity: 108dB
  • DRC: 10Ω
  • Material: medical resin custom earphone shell
  • Cable: low loss 2 strands silver-plated cable
  • Pin: 0.78mm detachable design
  • Plug: 3.5mm gold-plated plug
DSC01056.jpg

Packaging & Accessories: The Aladdin comes to us packaged in a white slipcover, which when removed reveals a stately black box with only the company logo and some Chinese characters embossed on the front. The box opens vertically to reveal to us the IEMs themselves encased in black foam, and beneath them two sets of silicon tips in S/M/L sizes. Underneath these is a small black box with some literature as well as a blue carry bag. The IEMs come with a preinstalled 2 core SPC cable, quite comfortable and supple, with 2-pin connectors and a 3.5mm termination. Others have reported that Penon is willing to substitute a balanced cable upon request at the time of order.

DSC01063.jpg

The simplicity of both the packaging and the contents does not at all diminish the quality of the included accessories, which I find to be more than satisfactory. The stock cable is quite nice even if not luxurious, with very unobtrusive ear hooks and a working chin slider, and it drapes nicely and doesn’t have any problems with being tangly. Others have reported that the eartips match up very well with the Aladdin sonically, but personally even the small size is a bit too large for my canals. I would have liked to see a wider variety of tips included (both sets appear to be virtually identical) as well as a SS size for people with ears like mine. I also would have liked a hard shell carry/storage case of some kind, and with even the $99 FiiO FD3 which I recently reviewed including a very nice Pelican case it doesn’t seem too much to ask for a $245 IEM to include more than a pouch.

DSC01076.jpg

Build & Comfort: Although Yanyin may have cut some corners as far as accessories go, they absolutely did no such thing with the build of the IEMs themselves. Aesthetically I really like gray color scheme with silver highlights, and the faceplate pattern looks really good as well. Yanyin claims to have employed “big data analysis” in designing the shell ergonomics, and while I have my personal qualms with big data I have absolutely no complaints with the resulting IEM shell Yanyin has produced. It ranks pretty much at peak comfort for me, fitting my ear like a glove and remaining practically unnoticeable even over lengthy listening sessions due to the exceptionally light weight. Although there is a fairly sizable vent for the dynamic driver, isolation nevertheless is solidly above average for me, no doubt helped by the IEM perfectly filling my ear cavity. Driver flex never made any appearances. To sum up, I wish that every IEM could share a build exactly like the Aladdin.

DSC01087.jpg

Initial Impressions: Now for the real meat of the review: the sound! To be honest, when I first put the Aladdin into my ears I was a bit underwhelmed. But then I had a realization: although I knew that I tended to listen to my earphones at rather low volumes, I never understood to what a great extent this was in order to keep the upper mids and treble from becoming harsh and fatiguing. The Aladdin, with its quite restrained pinna gain and treble region, does not need to be kept in check by lower listening levels, and so I am free as scarcely ever before to really crank the volume! The result is a full, midcentric sound with immersive imaging, characterized by a soft romanticism and imbued with immense versatility — in short, just what Yanyin seemed to promise by its choice of nomenclature.

DSC01089.jpg

Signature: As just mentioned, the Aladdin is a clearly midcentric unit, being quite neutral except for a slight subbass elevation. The low level of pinna gain and treble means that there is a slight warmth to the overall presentation, and this along with a fairly soft attack means that this is a musical neutrality rather than an analytical one. However, such soft and musical neutrality does come at a cost: there is a relative lack of dynamism, and some might find this IEM to be somewhat dull if they prefer tunings with a bit more energy and zest. Nevertheless, for myself I find that the Aladdin’s exceptionally balanced and refined tonality is perfectly suited for my entire library (though I do not listen to metal or rap).

Bass: Although I was initially drawn to the Aladdin for its midcentric nature and its very refined treble tuning, I was actually quite surprised to discover that the bass is my favorite region on this IEM. The tuning is absolutely perfect, with just enough sub-bass to give a good impact and authority when called upon. Rather than a bass shelf, the Aladdin instead descends gradually to meet neutrality at approximately 200Hz, ensuring that there is absolutely no bloat or bleed into the mids. The entire bass region is extremely textured and detailed, and is both very tight and fairly speedy. While those craving a lot of midbass slam will need to look elsewhere, all others will be hard-pressed to find any cause for complaint in the lows on offer here.

Mids: I was really quite blown away by how well the midrange is presented on the Aladdin. Note weight is spot on throughout for both instruments and vocals. The entire midrange is exceptionally liquid, and timbre and tonality are quite natural. While I wouldn’t exactly call male vocals warm, they nevertheless have extremely satisfactory body to them and never come across as thin or anemic in any way. Female vocals and strings are silky-smooth, although the low pinna gain means that both lack some bite and energy. Once again, the Aladdin is going for a portrayal of a certain delicate softness, and Yanyin here demonstrates an almost unmatched ability to implement BAs in a natural and lifelike fashion.

Treble: The Aladdin boasts one of the most refined and even treble tunings I have ever come across, with only the mildest of peaks and valleys to be found along the way, scarcely even deserving of such names. Extension is also quite good, and I honestly could not tell if it was the IEM or my hearing that rolled off just over 15k. There is a good amount of air here, even if it is not the most ethereal treble I have ever heard. BA timbre is of course somewhat present, although it is really quite remarkably well-controlled, and there is far less incoherence as a result than most hybrids evince.

The evenness of the treble, however, does mean that Yanyin has had to pull the entire region back somewhat in order to avoid sibilance, harshness, and fatigue. So I have to say that the lack of shimmer and sparkle is probably the biggest compromise that the Aladdin makes, and consequently some tracks can seem somewhat dark and unenergetic. Yet this does mean that this IEM is, for all intents and purposes, practically fatigue-free. Whether this general trade-off accords with your personal needs and preferences is something only you can decide.

DSC01095.jpg

Soundstage & Technicalities: The Aladdin is a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to technicalities. Its biggest shortcoming without doubt is that it is fairly soft in attack (although decay is pretty natural, if a bit on the quick side). This softness of attack does impart the sense of delicate romanticism that I have previously mentioned, but on the other hand of course it does mean that resolution and micro details suffer somewhat. On the other hand, the soundstage is quite well proportioned, being fairly spherical even if not the largest in absolute terms (though it’s not intimate either). Imaging is very good, although not pinpoint-accurate. And separation and layering are both quite outstanding.

Conclusion: The Aladdin, more than almost any other IEM I have ever tried, perfectly exemplifies the phrase “jack of all trades” — although the usual refrain must be added: “master of none.” Aside from comfort and build, there is almost nothing that the Aladdin does that other IEMs in the price range cannot do better... except for one crucial thing: play an entire library well. And even more compelling than this is the fact that the versatility in question is not one that is simply anodyne and lifeless, but rather imbued with a hint of romanticism and refinement. With the Aladdin in my ears, I am more than happy to crank up the tunes!

DSC01100.jpg
KutuzovGambit
@dw1narso They are definitely agile and nimble but I don’t perceive a lot of micro or even macro contrast. It has a smoother more romantic sound to my ear. But that said I could certainly be wrong. Just my opinion.
dw1narso
dw1narso
@KutuzovGambit , thanks for your information... I think I get your explanation. May be the smoothnes nature of Alladin that make the leading/trailing edge is not that obvious and affect perception on dynamism.

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Aladdin-3 wishes granted
Pros: All resin build utilizing a 9.2 bio diaphragm dynamic + 2 Knowles+1custom BA. Medium in size comfortable for hours of use. Better side of average passive isolation. Reference level balanced tuning and design. Sound has refinements at all 3 parts of the sound spectrum. Supreme level of technicalities.
Cons: Basic accessories package.
Will make your other earphones sound uninspiring and flat in comparison.
Folks looking for big bass is not gonna get that from the Aladdin.
Sensitive 10 Ohm impedance means your going to have to watch what you use for a source on the Aladdin.
Yanyin Aladdin
DSC08590.JPG

Hybrids in our hobby have evolved and you can most certainly see the progression of the mix of driver types and designs to incorporate them for newer designs. The Aladdin does not stand out as something unique nor does the name of these earphones evoke an insta-buy reaction when you look into the design. What is apparent to me however is that these folks are very serious about their sound they are going for. The Aladdin is the end result of a new group of industry veterans that decided to go their own ways and make something new under the name Yanyin. This group of tuners and designers started the company in 2020 so this happens to be their intro offering. I do believe they have some higher end earphones but not quite available for the international market yet. I was approached by Penon to give the Aladdin a good shake and see how they fall in the scheme of things.
DSC08568.JPG
I would like to thank Penon audio, the Aladdin was sent for review purposes. If you feel you need to get a significant earphone at the price you can get yourself a set here. This is how I hear them after a week's worth of burn. Sound was assessed using my sources Fiio M15, Shanling M6pro, M5s, M3s, Ibasso DX160, Pioneer XDP-30r, Ibasso PB3 and IFI Black Label for amping.
DSC08595.JPG

First let me get the clear negative out of the way. These are 10 ohm earphones, their low impedance if you're not aware, will not mesh well with higher output sources and amps. This is a case where more power will be a bad thing for these. These are very easy to drive due to that lower impedance but if you're not aware of the sensitivity to higher output devices you're going to get a much different sounding Aladdin and not for the better. It is very highly advised to use the Aladdin with a low output source which most digital audio players nowadays have. For folks that do strictly balanced out using earphones in most cases will see an increase of fidelity and sound but in this case the single ended performance of the Aladdin might actually be more beneficial as single ended out of most players has the lowest impedance out. If you use the Aladdin on a higher impedance out source the sound becomes thin and bass becomes very anemic. Your better, more IEM friendly sources are highly advised when using the Aladdin.
DSC08556.JPG

Packaging is a larger rectangular box with not a great variety of accessories. A pouch, 2 sets of silicones with a standard silver plated copper type cable in single ended. A bit basic to be honest but that's ok. That is forgivable if the sound will be worth it. But I do wish these guys threw in more of a variety of tips vs the bare minimum is what you're getting.
Once again your best aftermarket tips and cables apply to the Aladdin.
DSC08594.JPG

Build of the Aladdin is the tried and true semi custom resin design but with a vent toward the back of the shells for the 9.2mm bio dynamic being used for bass + 3 BAs, I believe are Knowles varieties doing the bulk of the sound. The official size in my guesstimate vs other similar designs is officially medium shown here.
1628648434420.png

This universal design is very good and I don’t find any issues with the tight build of the Aladdin. Isolation is about average for all resin designs with a vent for bass, but is more on the good side of isolation. Foams seem to help a bit for better passive isolation. Resin shelled earphones does well with passive isolation in general over other universal designs and that is no different with the Aladdin. Overall I have no issues with the build and or quality of the construction of the Aladdin. Your investment should provide years of daily music enjoyment.
DSC08580.JPG

Base tuning of the Aladdin is harmonish with a reference level balancing for the 3 zones critical of a higher end tuning. Again nothing that stands out at this point but when you start analyzing their strong points. It becomes very clear, the Aladdin is a highly refined sounding iem. Not something most earphones sound like at the price point.

I was expecting a well balanced iem which it is, I was expecting excellent dynamics, which it also is, I was expecting good to average technicalities and detail for the design. This is the part that blew away my expectations of the Aladdin.
DSC08562.JPG

Even on open listen the Aladdin sounded different than what you would expect at the price level. They sound extremely well proportioned at each part of the sound. Very nuanced, detailed in all the right places. Smooth even fluid with some of the best imaging and layering of sound that I have heard at the price range.
DSC08585.JPG

I was not expecting this level of refined sound on the very first listen. Truth be told, most IEMs I have heard on open listen are not a great experience. Seems to be the norm for me but I expect something to be off on open listen. Nasal tonal character or veiled mids a boomy unrefined one note bass, treble that makes your eyes pop out.
DSC08569.JPG
I got none of that, instead the sound just flows with the very first track I listened to, sounding absolutely flawless with liquid tonality, velvety smoothness, extremely dynamic and layered beyond what I was expecting.
So fluid in presentation I immediately posted my experience on open listen and promptly started a thread for them here. This is something I knew immediately I was dealing with a different level of sound. This type of sophistication for the sound at this price, to be honest, I never expected at all. Oh boy, yet another hybrid was my thought.
DSC08602.JPG

Right away I was thinking I have heard this balancing with these dimensional qualities from one of my earphones, it was the IBasso IT07. An $899 earphone and those were the closest that I can reference this sound against. If you don't know, IBassos IT07 is no joke of an earphone. IBassos best sounding earphones by far. I will have a comparison on the bottom of this read against them.
DSC08571.JPG
Technicalities on the Aladdin is a clear stand out. Its wider full dimensional stage qualities is done so well you can hear on well recorded tracks, full on layers to the sound.
Foreground vocals, mid ground instruments, background percussion. This is something that earphones double the price has a difficult time doing. So I was certainly not expecting this level of imaging. Its detail is also a stand out, it does macro details so well, it takes the strengths of the balanced armature precision and maximizes the effectiveness in the Aladdin at the same time emits one of the most natural sounding tonalities for BAs, Its sound separation abilities don’t only stand on one plane of sound it has layers of it.
Stevie Ray's guitars hovers in the air and you can clearly image Stevie's heavy soulful vocals. Imaging like this is why we buy them big boy sets and here you have it on the Aladdin.
DSC08574.JPG
I always assumed this level of layering only existed on top tier models of hybrids that use 2-3X the drivers of the Aladdin.The folks that massaged and tuned the drivers on this set clearly know what they are doing to achieve such a superbly crafted dimensional sound. It is due to that impeccable imaging and that layered immersion that enhances detail of the Aladdin naturally and not using some gimmicky forced edgy treble emphasis that tries to accentuate the mids to make up for an uninspiring flat one note mid band. Added to these aspects a dynamic rangy liquid tonality with that balancing and you get yourself one heck of a nice sounding earphone.
DSC08560.JPG

The treble tuning also falls in line with how well the Aladdin is tuned. Aladdin has one of the most complete, balanced treble tunings I have heard in the price range with no excessive imbalance or irritating mount spikes that cause fatigue for the treble tuning. Treble is just one of many stand out features of the Aladdin, BA timbre might indicate these might sound a touch metallic and a bit digital for the treble. Treble presentation much like the outstanding mids is very natural in tone, is tight, has clean crisp treble transients, the perfect treble sustain a touch of air and most importantly so cohesive with the mids It is seamless and effortless. This is how you want your treble tunings. Aladdin's treble tuning shows finesse with the right emphasis that once again is difficult to find at this price range.
DSC08566.JPG

There is a certain level of sophistication and execution of Aladdin's treble that has two standout aspects to their sound; excellent spectrum of tonal accuracy and with the necessary extension for a higher end sound. A very mild boost at the upper treble design gets the Aladdin treble with just the right amount of shimmer and sparkles whilst remaining clean, crisp and tonally correct. The treble aspect of the Aladdin does not take 2nd place to the mids or the bass. It plays an equal footing for the presentation and I can argue it is just as nuanced as it is for their mids.
DSC08586.JPG
Why the name Aladdin? It was because of its spectacular imaging for the mids. It has to be, It is at times magical in how it does the dimensional sound so much better than so many earphones. Some might call it holography or 3D. The only things missing from this presentation is the smell of high end perfume and the cigarette smoke in the background of the lounge bar. Old time well recorded tracks just simply sounds stupendous.
The music induced reverb that flows through the air, little nuances from the venue or studio the track was recorded in comes through easily on the Aladdin.
Live recordings sound amazing because you can literally hear the air surrounding the space it was recorded in. Not only hearing the audience clap, the impromptu mistakes during live takes but reverb picked up from each instrument depending on what part of the stage and where the microphone was placed. The distance from the guitarist to the vocals to the drummer. You're not supposed to pick up something like that on a $245 earphone!. I haven’t heard anything in this price range that does this, until I heard the Aladdin do it. The mids is perhaps its real trump card for the Aladdin. The mids have the right amount of body a healthy note weight, has a broader than average mids presentation due to how clean and tight the bass and treble aspects are to their sound presentation, balancing the mids to be perfectly proportional. Both male and female vocals are superb on the Aladdin. It is very difficult to find any real glaring faults here and that is what is completely surprising.
DSC08578.JPG

Then there is its bass presentation. Bass tonality is supremely organic and its impactful timbre spot on. Not to mention it has an outstanding sub bass presence. I had headfier @Acebee reach out to me asking me if there is enough bass. You want an accurate bass portrayal or an over exaggeration?

The Aladdin has the former. Accurate bass is better than overly bassy exaggeration as that just means it will depend on how the bass was recorded. If your track has bass emphasis it will come out emphasized. If it is a light acoustical bass renditions it will sound like what it was meant to sound like. No boomy mid bass hump and most importantly the bass doesn't stand on its own. Much like how well tuned the rest of the sound signature is . Bass is a part of this design with an uplift for the sub bass region. This design allows the Aladdin to have a naturally clean broader sounding mid range.
DSC08592.JPG

You all know I am a fan of bass. Weak or missing bass get no play from me. However, there is a clear difference for higher end bass vs the standard pow pow bass you hear in a lot of try hard earphones. Mid bass is tight, speedy, agile tonally correct, much like the rest of the sound and most importantly it's got a healthy amount of sub bass injecting some fun to that tuning. The quality of the bass does not lag behind the quality of the mids or the treble. Bass strings and synthetic sub bass, double drum kicks to 808s all of it sounds spot on like it is supposed to sound. If it rumbles it better rumble well and the Aladdin passes my bass tracks easily with very good definition in the region showing an almost reference like texture for the deep reaching sub bass.
These guys went over each aspect of the design with a fine scope. There is not a part of the sound tuning that was overcooked or overlooked.
DSC08604.JPG

The bass dynamic matches up so well with the 3 BAs that are in the Aladdin. It is one of the most cohesive hybrids I have ever heard actually and I own much higher end hybrids and tribrids that don’t have the cohesion of the Aladdin. If you're more of a fan of high quality accurate bass vs having a huge amount of bass just for that extra thump. You’re gonna be a huge fan of Aladdin's bass presentation.
DSC08572.JPG

Overall there are only a few products throughout the year I consider significant. I am not gonna lie, the Aladdin here is significant. It is easily my top recommendation at this price range. These folks that are tuning these are masters at what they do. The sound quality for this price is not only fantastic it is just down right stupendous and for that it clearly deserves one of a few 5 star ratings I have given out this year. These are the earphones that will make you clearly understand how expensive higher level earphones truly are in comparison because diminishing returns start with these. These will give you more than a glimpse of much higher end earphones. If they sold these for double the price I would still give these a 5 star rating. I can see a lot of folks selling off their sub earphones in the $500-$700 range to be replaced by these. This level of sound sophistication and mastery for the money they are asking for a set I have never seen before. It just doesn't exist.

DSC08607.JPG

Bonus.
Compared to the IBasso IT07
Both sets are very efficient and both sets are balanced extremely well at all 3 zones of the sound. Right away when going to the IT07 its upper mids sounds just a tad cooler in tonality in comparison to the Aladdin. Otherwise how both these sets throw out imaging and detail in the mid bands with a very identical tonal character for the lower mids presentation even though the IT07 uses its dynamic to present the lower mids, sound like siblings. Similarities in balancing, lower mids emphasis and tonal qualities are there.
DSC08559.JPG

Treble has some differences in how it was tuned for the IT07 vs Aladdin. Aladdin uses a slight upper treble lift which does not highlight vocals as much as IBassos mild treble shelf at around 6K-8K which gives mids a bit of extra clarity and presence on the IT07. IBasso treble sounds just a pinch forced in comparison to the Aladdin's more natural treble tuning. IT07 does have the upper hand in treble detail and has a bit more in the way of sparkle for the trebles but the Aladdin sounds only just a touch behind the IT07 treble for emphasis otherwise the presentation overall is identical. Both have clean mids and the lower mids to bass transition are very identical. Very similar in bass presence with both having sub bass focus with great bass tonality.
IT07 has a bit more sub bass authority but otherwise these are pretty much trading punches.
DSC08593.JPG

IT07 has the slight upper hand in technical aspects like stage and sound separation and a bit more precise imaging, but you would be surprised just how close the Aladdin gets to the IT07 here at almost 1/4th the cost. I shouldn't be comparing the Aladdin to the IBasso flagship here is my point. Either I should be disappointed with the price of the IT07 or there is some supreme value with the Aladdins. Unless something much more significant comes out this year that will blow these away. ( Gonna doubt it especially at this price) These are now my new reference for the price level. Thanks for reading and as always happy listening.
DSC08600.JPG

Attachments

DSC08569.JPG
    839.8 KB · Views: 0
Actually nothing outperforms H40.. 😉
But that doesn't mean that we should save our money for something else........ 😉
eclein
eclein
Thank you both for your thoughts, I’m always saving for something else like a lot of folks do I’d bet! Thats part of the fun or “sickness” of this hobby! LOL…😎😆😂🥸🤪
alexandros a
WE ARE ALL / ALWAYS SAVING CASH FOR SOMETHING ELSE HERE...........................:wink:
Reactions: eclein

1000+ Head-Fier
Yanyin Aladdin - The Noble Maestro
Pros: Excellent imaging
Balanced tuning
Versatile for a broad library of music
Timbre and tone handled well for BA drivers
Non-fatiguing
Comfortable fit
Cons: Somewhat barebones accessories
Driver configuration:

1 bio-diaphragm dynamic driver - bass

2 balanced armature – midrange

1 balance armature – treble

3-way crossover, 5Hz-22kHz, 108dB sensitivity, 10ohm impedance

Other relevant information:
Source: Shanling M8 (4.4mm PO mode, low gain)

Burn-in: circa 50 hours

Cable: Silver-copper mix / Tips: stock

Genres evaluated: world music, jazz, classical, ambient, electronic, folk, hip hop, pop, metal

The Yanyin Aladdin can be purchased here from Penon Audio. This unit was provided for the purpose of review, however all opinions are my own. Penon have not had sight of this review prior to its publication.

Preamble

My experience in this price range largely comes in the form of the Mangird (now XENNS) Tea, a $300 6BA+1DD hybrid. The first hybrid I purchased and one that I sold some time ago. I have some recollection of the sound, but not enough to make definitive comparisons. I can only say for certain the reason for selling it at the time – I found it too cold with some timbral and coherency issues. It just didn’t have the musicality to back up the technicality, for me at least. I have generally steered clear of BA setups since the Tea, favouring single or multi dynamic driver IEMs, with a brief foray into the land of the tribrids and quadbrids where there is often less reliance on BA drivers.

I saw the Yanyin Aladdin and the superficial side of me immediately liked the look of the swirling greys and blacks on the faceplate. I was also interested in the tuning. It looked Harman-ish but with a linear bass roll off to mids and some sparkle up top. A tuning that was quite different to my current stable of IEMs. More importantly, I wanted to find out how far competitive DD+BA hybrids had come in this price range since 2019.

‘Aladdin’ is an Arabic name meaning ‘nobility of creed’, an individual with clear aims that are guided by high principles. Read on to find out if the Aladdin is a fitting namesake...

Accessories and Packaging

This part isn’t exactly a home run, but it’s not all too bad either. The packaging is your usual affair, largely in Chinese and with English translation. The included cable is a nice silver-plated copper that’s pleasant to handle, terminating in a 3.5mm gold-plated plug. I used it briefly prior to this review without issue. I soon changed to a 4.4mm cable for the purpose of balanced DAP input. You get two sets of S, M and L silicone tips with a reasonably narrow bore. However there are no foam tips or what I would consider wide or shallow bore tips. Included is a suede carry case with a snap-shut top, a warranty card, date of production sticker and interestingly, a VIP card. I’m not sure what this entitles me to just yet - but I does make me feel like a very important person…!

_DSC2213.jpg
_DSC2214.jpg

_DSC2218.jpg

_DSC2230.jpg

Design, Build, Fit and Comfort

The aesthetic of the Aladdin appealed to me from the get-go. The shell has a ‘quicksand’-like grey and black dust that catches the light beautifully and looks very smart. The shell is medical grade resin with a transparent layer overlying the galactic quicksand beneath. The Yanyin logo sits on the right and ‘Aladdin’ on the left. Personally, I’m not a fan of the chosen font but I can live with it. There is a rear vent on each unit covered with a fine mesh to give everything inside room to breathe. The nozzles are made of metal with a lip halfway to catch and hold the attached tip.

The Aladdin is contoured well with smooth edges, supposedly driven by ‘big data’ research. It fits well in my 'average' ears and doesn’t move an inch. There is some pressure in my antitragus but the body of the Aladdin almost fully occupies my concha providing a great seal, achieving reasonable isolation. I can wear these for hours without issue.

_DSC2254.jpg

_DSC2257.jpg

_DSC2259.jpg

Bass – sub-bass focused, deep extension, solid rumble and weight with a light touch of impact, well textured throughout, incredibly natural and organic.

Comments –

Some of the most tastefully tuned bass I’ve heard. The subbass tilt and with a linear roll off reveals great texture to both organic and artificial tones, avoiding the indulgent midbass boom that can detract from the detail hidden in the bass and mids on some IEMs.

Attack and decay is very natural and has a very realistic presentation of udu drum, bass and cello strings. Midbass impact is present but is non-fatiguing with what I would consider a lighter touch. This bass tuning makes most of my other IEMs appear self-indulgent and when I move back to them, I immediately miss the rich textures of the Aladdins bio-cellulose DD.

Subbass extension is very deep and textured to the furthest reaches with a nice thump. Combine that with the large soundstage and excellent imaging you have a very atmospheric experience. The bass surrounds the head giving a palpable landscape to music. Listening to ‘Remnant’ an album by the artist Lorn, that is subbass heavy, is an incredible experience on the Aladdin.

Midrange – good instrument timbre and with fundamental and harmonic detail, exceptionally smooth presentation, non-fatiguing, no sibilance, upper mids / lower treble may lack ‘edge’ or ‘bite’ depending on your preferences

Comments –

Instrument tone, timbre and weight was a big concern for me going into a BA hybrid at this price point. The majority of my musical enjoyment sits in the midrange and if not reproduced ‘right’ I lose interest very quickly.

I was pleasantly surprised here. Instrument timbre is reproduced faithfully and everything sounds tonally correct. I would describe the midrange as lush but detailed. There is not an ounce of shout or any heavy-handed emphasis into the uppermids that could detract from enjoyment here.

The tuning works with both male and female vocals. The two BAs perform admirably giving detail and nuance to the midrange. Female vocals are great with plenty of subtlety and emotion, certainly one of the many strengths of the Aladdin.

There is a tube-like liquidity to the way the Aladdin expresses the midrange and that’s right up my street. It is easy-going, non-fatiguing with perfect note weight and definitely not lacking in detail.

Again, complementing the midrange are excellent technicalities that bring this to life on a pleasant sonic stage.

Treble – natural extension, plenty of definition, not piercing, enough air for me

Comments –

I always find it hard to evaluate treble but straight out of the box I knew this was a winning tuning. The naturally resolving treble gives everything healthy definition and extension without becoming a fatigue fest. String instruments sound very natural with plenty of resonant detail, especially harp, guitar, kora and violin. The treble is exacting with very tight control as you would expect for a BA. Thankfully, it doesn’t pierce or sound unnaturally metallic.

Technicalities

Soundstage – great lateral extension, good height, almost spherical in perceivable shape

The soundstage was great straight out of the box but has opened up some over time. It’s very natural, outside of the head and never leaves the music feeling congested nor stretched or unnatural. Very satisfying. A tip change from stock can enhance this still further (more on this later).

Imaging and Instrument separation

Near enough ‘holographic’ placement in well recorded tracks. You can pick out information like direction and depth of specific elements in a track. Everything has its own space to play out. Motion is expressed with excellent graduation from left to right around the head with no awkward exchange in the centre of the sound field.

Layering –

Very good layering of track elements. There’s no wall of sound to be found here. Busy tracks are handled with no muddying of detail.

Conclusion

Who is the Aladdin for? Well, it’s a great entry point for those new to the IEM audiophile hobby and for those that have yet to find their preferred signature. It would be the next logical step for most who like a balanced tuning and are looking for a technical upgrade into the next price bracket. Another group would be those that have a broad music library and need a one-size-fits-all everyday carry.

Does it best the Mangird Tea? In my opinion, at least from memory, in nearly all respects, yes it does and that’s with 3 less BA drivers on board and at a cheaper price point. It’s tonality is inviting and versatile and it’s technicalities are exciting, giving an out-of-the-head experience. In many ways I see the Aladdin as the Sundara of the IEM world. It’s a very strong value proposition and a safe recommendation.

The Aladdin may not appeal to those who are attached to a V-tuning. The way it presents music is not indulgent but it is, at all times, luxurious. I rarely go through my library which is quite broad in scope - artificial to organic, grand to intimate, aggressive to meditative - and find myself happy at every turn. I could take this IEM with me and know I have all eventualities covered.

So what is the ‘noble creed’ of the Aladdin? In a few words I would say: precision, poise, faithful reproduction and versatility.

_DSC2250.jpg

Final remarks - tips for your tips

I used stock tips for this review.

Some tip rolling may be required as usual. Start with the stock silicones, they’re not bad at all. They present the IEM as the tuner intended – expertly balanced and tonally/timbrally correct.

If you want to lean further into the technical strengths of the IEM and capture more air and widen the stage, try a wide and shallow bore tip. However, this does enhance the presence of some the upper mids/lower treble, with some sibilants (sh/ss/ch) becoming more prominent. This could prove fatiguing or harsh for some. It also enhances the perception of BA timbre in the treble slightly. It is worth experimenting however as I can cope with it fine. I had success with Oriolus/Jaben single flange silicone stock tips (purchasable online, pictured below), but I’m sure any wide and shallow tip will have a similar effect.

_DSC2262.jpg

Edit 08/08/21 - adjusted score from 4.0 to 4.5 to better reflect the review & my assessment over time.
ian91
@josesol07 - I made a brief comparison to 3DT in the Yanyin thread. They're very different so it depends what you're after :)

@elindil - Not an easy question. I think the answer to the question is another question...What do I want to listen to and how do I want it presented? Sometimes my enjoyment is found in critical listening (Aladdin), other times its emotional connection (Isa) and lastly there are times I just want to be indulgent and excited (GK10).

And I would emphasise that's not to say I enjoy any one of them any less. The Aladdin is a master of balance and versatility. I can throw anything at it and enjoy it.
elindil
elindil
Haha, that is a very good answer and now I know what I can consider next, which is the Isa. Thank you!
ian91
I should clarify the Aladdin has plenty of soul and is still very musical. It sits in a sweet spot between detail and musical engagement across all genres. That's no easy feat...!