Yamaha EPH-M200 and EPH-M100 : EPH-100 Successor
Dec 8, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #61 of 114
So I've been using these for quite some time, and sadly will be returning them. Mainly due to fit rather than sound. I think they sound good for the price, although I prefer the original EPH-100 much much more. Fit wise I find these rather cumbersome, as the part that goes down the cable kind of has no place, it's either resting on your ears or sticking out. Although these come with a multitude of tips, I cannot get a seal with any size for some reason, in comparison, the EPH-100 medium tips are used and seal great. Because of the fit and seal, I cannot judge the sound honestly, as I am not sure I am getting the complete package, but from what I can hear, these have a V/U shaped sound with some peaks in the lower treble. The treble does not extend much, and the bass has a subtle rumble but not much impact it goes fairly low but not extremely tight, just enough to be enjoyable.
The M200 have a bigger stage but have less 3-D/layering than the the original 100.
Sorry I cannot be more precise with the sound, but I feel I am not being fair as the fit/seal annoys me so much, but for $100 I feel they're not bad at all, and may need more burn in time to shine. Personally, I'd rather use that $100 to get a backup pair of EPH-100s.
Other gripes: although the metalic red looks nice on the buds, it looks cheap/gaudy on the cable and especially on the remote. Cannot be worn over ear (as I use the 100s).
I've listened to a bunch of material, mainly out of my iPhone 6, but Emika's DVA album quickly showed these phone's strengths and weaknesses, especially the bump somewhere in the upper mid/ lower treble that sometimes comes off as shouty and somewhat sibilant on some percussion or vocals making "s" sound more like "ch", harsh but never piercing.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #63 of 114
Okay, I've received the EPH-M200 and oh my goodness. It sounds so great from out-of-box. Warm, smooth, big-bass but its bass quantity is little more than than the EPH-100. Oh, it has smoother highs. I like how it doesn't emphasize harsh upper highs like "tzzz-tzzz" sound which I usually hear from EPH-100.  Mids is definitely  thicker, fuller and clear. Not forward as UM30 pro & IM 70 though, which is good so overall sound is not overly congested. On EPH-100, the mid is on the thinner side IMO. Overall sound is pleasant and nothing offends you. IMO, it sounds like UM30pro has married with EPH-100 and EPH-M200 as the result. I can safely say that those who are treble-sensitive, like myself, will love these.

It is also quite efficient; it blasts loudly enough at 3 bar 'normal volume' from Sansa Clip Zip.  I will tell its comparison to EPH-100 but holy cow. I'm impressed with its huge soundstage. I agree with K1n0n3 it lacks of the sparkleness of EPH-100 so 3D is less existent with the EPH-M200. Will try with different songs though (I was listening to Galneryus's and I rocked on).

But the best thing is that the fit is surprisingly comfortable despite of the size, yet its isolation is greater than EPH-100. Will test this when I commute though. I could feel the nozzle adjusts with my ear canal shape allowing for deeper fit like the EPH-100. Overall, it's still comfortable although the remote is big and chunky and earphone can only be worn down. More importantly, the stock tips are very comfortable, which is good so that I don't have to look for after-market tips nor tips rolling ( like I did on most earphones like Piston's & IM 70). I fell in love with EPH-M200 at first listen just like when I had the EPH-100.

edit: thank God, the cable is not flat. 

I have been venturing for different brands of earphones but to me, Yamaha's always get it right. 

Will burn it and give it further listen, then I'll shall conclude :)

picture~~~~

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #65 of 114
In terms of bass presentation are they more mid-bass or sub-bass orientated?

Do they compare closely to any other iems for bass quality and quantity?

Thanks

Dec 11, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #66 of 114
  I have been venturing for different brands of earphones but to me, Yamaha's always get it right. 

Agreed- right on the box Yamaha touts them as "Dynamic Sound Earphones", which is a very apt description, IMO. Overall the sound reminds me a lot of the Pro 500 without their slight midrange dip that gives that extra sense of space. These M200s have a natural warmth and smoothness of treble with a bit of sparkle without being sibilant. Staging is fairly even in width/height- voices/instruments are forward sounding but also distinct at the same time due to the separation, thus details are easy to discern. Midbass and sub bass are both considerably elevated but with very little detectable bleed into the lower mids and excellent texture/impact- some of the best I've heard in an IEM for a while. 

Given all of these characteristics they're very lively and engaging- exactly what I'm looking for in a dynamic sound. Volume levels can be cranked up a bit without any discomfort which makes these awesome for EDM. Also, I'll say they are extremely comfortable to me and easy to insert- no driver flex issues and slightly above average isolation. Dannybai, these are legit- good call 
ksc75smile.gif

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #68 of 114
  Staging is fairly even in width/height- voices/instruments are forward sounding but also distinct at the same time due to the separation, thus details are easy to discern. Midbass and sub bass are both considerably elevated but with very little detectable bleed into the lower mids and excellent texture/impact- some of the best I've heard in an IEM for a while. 

Given all of these characteristics they're very lively and engaging- exactly what I'm looking for in a dynamic sound. Volume levels can be cranked up a bit without any discomfort which makes these awesome for EDM. Also, I'll say they are extremely comfortable to me and easy to insert- no driver flex issues and slightly above average isolation. Dannybai, these are legit- good call 
ksc75smile.gif

I agree too. love that textured bass which I haven't heard in most of my earphones. EPH-100 has rumbles but it's not strongly textured.

Dec 17, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #70 of 114
Wow, I'm a past lover and owner of the EPH-100 and these dont look like an upgrade at all.

However, we all know that looks can be deceiving... they do look very simlar to the AT CK1000.

I might on the other hand go for another pair of EPH-100 which are currently on sale - http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/yamaha-eph100-earphones

Dec 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #71 of 114
Mmm thinking these could be a neat Christmas gift for myself :3
Have the Sony MDR 60EX, JVC FXD 80, the M100 is 65$ on Amazon for the white version, the M200 at 150$.

Impressions of the M100? I'm not going to buy a 150$ IEM right now, 100$ I would bite seeing some of the positive impressions of the M200.

Jan 8, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #72 of 114
Mmm thinking these could be a neat Christmas gift for myself :3
Have the Sony MDR 60EX, JVC FXD 80, the M100 is 65$ on Amazon for the white version, the M200 at 150$.

Impressions of the M100? I'm not going to buy a 150$ IEM right now, 100$ I would bite seeing some of the positive impressions of the M200.

What? You never had the eph100?

Jan 12, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #73 of 114
Just got my EPH-M200 and using them right now. Out of the box, the bass kind of slam you in the face, very thick and punchy, very good detail on bass. treble is very very smooth, no sibilance, mid is very lush and thick, good instrument separation, wide spacious sound. I am still burning it in, but the OoTB sound left me wanting a bit more bite in the high. The sound definitely not neutral, colored. I think it is more of a fun and engaging sound. Will let it burn in more and more impression and comparison with ZA DUOZA later.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:08 AM Post #74 of 114
  Will let it burn in more and more impression and comparison with ZA DUOZA later.

Im really looking forward to your comparison.

I listen to quite a bit of EDM/Trance on the go and i found the EPH-100 exceptional for this especially with its 3D like imaging/stereo sound.
That broke last year and I got Tenore which has been excellent for most genres but EDM/Trance sounds little lifeless. It seems to be a little too neutral and missing the excitement that came with the 3D like sound of the EPH100. I also think the soundstage could be better with Tenore to be able to better appreciate Trance/EDM (tried various) tips.

So I was considering Duoza but know see that Yamaha are back in the game.
Im not sure if you listen to Trance but hope you can do some comparisons using both earphones. + Tenore if you have.
Im after something that is fun and exciting. Textured deep bass with great 3d imaging would be brilliant.
Most listening will be done on iphpone 6 so need to be aware of potential driving issues and being able to keep them in whilst jogging.
Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMRRRJcw2xM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0eta0tSrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O6mMJ0dJwU

Jan 12, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #75 of 114

It is also quite efficient; it blasts loudly enough at 3 bar 'normal volume' from Sansa Clip Zip.  I will tell its comparison to EPH-100 but holy cow. I'm impressed with its huge soundstage. I agree with K1n0n3 it lacks of the sparkleness of EPH-100 so 3D is less existent with the EPH-M200. Will try with different songs though (I was listening to Galneryus's and I rocked on).

Can you please try thse with some Trance tracks. I really want to fall in love with these like the EPH100 but hearing that 3D stereo is weakend along with sparkle is making me wonder if they sill be suitable upgrade. Probably hreat for Hip Hoip/Drum n Bass but begining to think the drop in sparkle will hurt listening to Trance.
In not a fan of very highs as i get ached easil. The EPH100 had just right highs though not the most accurate. Can these replace and possible better the EPH100 for Trance ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMRRRJcw2xM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip0eta0tSrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O6mMJ0dJwU

Quote:

ksc75smile.gif

You descibe these as awesome for EDM. 
Some opinions expressing that the M200 dont not produce the same level of 3D stereo sound or sparkle as the EPH100. I would think this would make them
less less engaging with Trance tracks ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back