Yamaha EPH-M200 and EPH-M100 : EPH-100 Successor
Jan 12, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #76 of 114
Hmm right now, I am having a channel imbalance on the right side =(. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #77 of 114
Yep the left side where the control pod located is slightly louder. It is very very subtle, but it really annoys me. I played dota2 using the yamaha and the soundstage is very weird.

Jan 12, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #78 of 114

That doesn't sound good, especially after such a short time of ownership. :frowning2:

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #80 of 114

archy121 said:
Can you please try thse with some Trance tracks. I really want to fall in love with these like the EPH100 but hearing that 3D stereo is weakend along with sparkle is making me wonder if they sill be suitable upgrade. Probably hreat for Hip Hoip/Drum n Bass but begining to think the drop in sparkle will hurt listening to Trance.
In not a fan of very highs as i get ached easil. The EPH100 had just right highs though not the most accurate. Can these replace and possible better the EPH100 for Trance ?

Sorry that I've returned the M200 and switched for DN-2000 instead. Overall, I find it has boosted bass, forward mid and relaxed treble. For myself as upper-treble sensistive, M200 sounds dark and lack of sparkleness. Maybe you would like it but I hardly can recommend it because the soundstage is confusing, or intimate I'd assume, due to the nasal mid, bloated bass, and lack of sparkle. This is observable when I listen to soundtracks, acoustic, classic, rock, pop, and metal; everything sounded so congested and intimate combined with overly thick notes. I'd stick EPH-100 though the treble sparkles gives significantly better soundstage and it's definitely not fatiguing nor piercing. I cannot let you get the DN-2000 as it's bright IEM but the soundstage and separation is worth to enjoy for. Oh, the M200 may suit you because the sound is suited for youth and bass-lovers but it's not for me as listening to most of my favorite tracks sounded so wrong with M200. By the way, I apologize that don't listen to trance and EDM but wish I could've held the M200 much longer. 

Quote:

Yep the left side where the control pod located is slightly louder. It is very very subtle, but it really annoys me. I played dota2 using the yamaha and the soundstage is very weird.

After 14 days of listening, my impression of M200 went sour; then, I returned the M200 and bought the DN-2000 instead, which is definitely upgrade from the EPH-100. It was the 1st time I returned an IEM because it's totally pain in the ass for several reasons. Hence, I should edit my previous post about this so it won't mislead people in future. Overall, I think that M200 is more like a downgrade of EPH-100 because of the weird fit, confusing soundstage, and congested and nasal sound. Or, it could be a sidegrade for those who find EPH-100 sparkle is fatiguing or wish for more bass quantity. If anyone had used an earbud before and comfortable with down-straight wearing, you could try these as I dislike earbud designs and cannot get comfortable fit with it. 

One main reason is exactly like what voicemaster described: the soundstage is weird and confusing. I find it has very intimate soundstage and lack of 3D-ness because it lacks of treble sparkle like that EPH-100. I experienced the same situation where the right side feels missing while the left one was overly dominant. I could safely assume because the bass is highly boosted, mid is very forwarded, and the treble is too relaxed. Therefore, the right side, where high notes usually come in most of my songs, feel missing while the lower notes sound so loud on the left side. However, when I compared with other earphones like UM3x, FXT90, and EPH-100, such confusion disappears; therefore, I can say the M200 imaging or stereo feature is definitely lacking. Additionally, it has the intimate soundstage that reminds me of the UM3x's intimacy but the M200 doesn't have the UM3x's separation nor layerings so everything sounds so centered. Also, because of weak upper treble, combined with the bloated bass and nasal mid, I missed the 3D-ness of the EPH-100 ( y'know how the 100 has clearer mid, although thin, the sparkle's there and bass is yummy). I gave the IEM 3 days of burn-in but the bass hadn't mellow out and the soundstage hadn't improved at all.

The cause of the confusing soundstage is definitely from the sound, and that's from the bloated bass, forwarded mid and the lack of treble sparkleness. I noted the bass is highly boosted than the EPH-100, making it better textured. It's boomy, way more thunderous than the EPH-100 but somehow I noticed the bass bleeds to the mid, making most vocal songs sounded so nasal, thick, and shouty. Instrumental and acoustic songs sound so wrong with the M200 because it's overly thick too. Treble-wise, It's way too relaxed, even more than the UM3x, as the result I find it very muddy. As a treble-sensitive listener, I was confused with the upper notes and wish it could have the sparkleness and non-fatiguing of EPH-100's. 

My ears grown tired after an hour period because of the fit: I find the nozzle of M200 is not much bend-able ,not as much as the GR07. I could say they bend for about 0.1-0.3 mm at best. The body of the earphone is too big it reminds me of earbuds. As the result, I always have difficulty fitting the earphones and it's not as easy as the EPH-100. Although the EPH-100 has bigger nozzle it's easier to insert because it has bullet-shape housing; yet, it's smaller and can be worn over-the ears. The M200, on the other hand, my goodness. I find the controller, which is bigger than the EPH-100, bothers a lot whenever I walk and work out and the design prevents from wearing over-the-ear. Yet, the M200 nozzle only fits to its stock eartips and no 'aftermarket' or different brands of eartips I've tried won't fit these, not even the Sony Hybrids.

Yet, the forwaded mid is fatiguing as well as I find that I'm sensitive to mid. Combined with the uncomfortable fit, I decided that I had to return these. Treble-sensitive, bass seeking, and non-senstive mid listeners may like these but this earphone is not for me because it sounds so intimate that every favorite tracks I threw sound so congested and confusing. 

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #81 of 114
I haven't heard the eph-100, but the eph-m200 has a very smooth high and thick mid just like shure. Soundstage is more in your head, about the same as ostry kc06. Bass can be overpowering sometime, but I haven't burn in fully yet so it might change. The whole presentation sounds dull compared to the duoza. I need to increase 16khz about 8db to even cone close to duoza's high.

Jan 12, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #82 of 114
Gandasaputra

Thanks for your valuable feedback. M200 defo off the list. Just need some more feedback on Duoza and that might be where I'm hopefully heading rather than buying another eph100.
How does the DN2000 compare to eph100 in terms of 3D stereo and separation ? Better with Trance ?

Jan 13, 2015 at 12:47 AM Post #83 of 114
My ears grown tired after an hour period because of the fit: I find the nozzle of M200 is not much bend-able ,not as much as the GR07. I could say they bend for about 0.1-0.3 mm at best. The body of the earphone is too big it reminds me of earbuds. As the result, I always have difficulty fitting the earphones and it's not as easy as the EPH-100. Although the EPH-100 has bigger nozzle it's easier to insert because it has bullet-shape housing; yet, it's smaller and can be worn over-the ears. The M200, on the other hand, my goodness. I find the controller, which is bigger than the EPH-100, bothers a lot whenever I walk and work out and the design prevents from wearing over-the-ear. Yet, the M200 nozzle only fits to its stock eartips and no 'aftermarket' or different brands of eartips I've tried won't fit these, not even the Sony Hybrids.

Yet, the forwaded mid is fatiguing as well as I find that I'm sensitive to mid. Combined with the uncomfortable fit, I decided that I had to return these. Treble-sensitive, bass seeking, and non-senstive mid listeners may like these but this earphone is not for me because it sounds so intimate that every favorite tracks I threw sound so congested and confusing. 

For me, the fit is great. I have a pretty standard ear meaning 99% of IEMs that I have tried, I never had any fit issue. It is funny that you said the sony hybrid tip won't fit because I tried it and it fit just fine. I also tried comply t-400 and it won't fit because the comply is too big. Again, I won't recommend the m200 tho, you can get a much better sound for half the price. IEMs like Zero Audio, Ostry, RockJaw, havi, ttpod and many more are much better option in term of price and performance imho.

Jan 13, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #84 of 114
For me, the fit is great. I have a pretty standard ear meaning 99% of IEMs that I have tried, I never had any fit issue. It is funny that you said the sony hybrid tip won't fit because I tried it and it fit just fine. I also tried comply t-400 and it won't fit because the comply is too big. Again, I won't recommend the m200 tho, you can get a much better sound for half the price. IEMs like Zero Audio, Ostry, RockJaw, havi, ttpod and many more are much better option in term of price and performance imho.

I thought the sony hybrids were bit too loose for the M200; yet, I couldn't get good seal with it. I agree; even when I paid $100, the performance doesn't worth the price. The M200 sounds bloated, dull, and not quite as open as my bassy earphones like Nuforce NU-600x, FX101, Carbo Basso, and JlabJ5. I bought the M200 because well, I'm Yamaha fan-boy and expect an upgrade from the EPH-100 successor. Sadly, got disappointed afterward :frowning2:

Jan 13, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #86 of 114
Was going to respond to suggest the DuoZA, anyway since a more spacious stage is ideal for Trance...mine are on order, I'll try your test tracks when they arrive.

Douza were on my list but then I realised that the EPH100s were on sale and I couldn't resist.

So nice to see these babies again! I'm holding back from listening to them, as I just want to saviour the moment and find the right time to plug them in.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #87 of 114
Douza were on my list but then I realised that the EPH100s were on sale and I couldn't resist.

So nice to see these babies again! I'm holding back from listening to them, as I just want to saviour the moment and find the right time to plug them in.

You must really like the EPH100s since you're buying them a 2nd time, lol. They were on my radar for a while but ended up getting the Pro 500, M200, etc. Hopefully the DuoZA will be a true upgrade to the EPH100s...I keep telling myself that even with their large stage they won't have that solid, hard-hitting bass punch that I crave in minimal, dubstep, dnb, etc. I'm hoping the DuoZA will have similar sound stage/extension but with deeper bass, slightly more forward mids- that'd make me really happy for an all-around EDM phone that can make Trance sound ethreal...otherwise I'll have to entertain myself with the idea of "trying" them before they're gone for good...man, this hobby is brutal.>_<

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #88 of 114
  You must really like the EPH100s since you're buying them a 2nd time, lol. They were on my radar for a while but ended up getting the Pro 500, M200, etc. Hopefully the DuoZA will be a true upgrade to the EPH100s...I keep telling myself that even with their large stage they won't have that solid, hard-hitting bass punch that I crave in minimal, dubstep, dnb, etc. I'm hoping the DuoZA will have similar sound stage/extension but with deeper bass, slightly more forward mids- that'd make me really happy for an all-around EDM phone that can make Trance sound ethreal...otherwise I'll have to entertain myself with the idea of "trying" them before they're gone for good...man, this hobby is brutal.>_<

EPH-100 is the best IEM I could think of, with confident lol. It's hard to find other earphones that sounds similar, I think Carbo basso comes in mind ( deep bass and big soundstage) but the treble isn't close to it as it's somewhat grainy when played loudly. I hope DuoZa could rival the EPH-100; darn EPH-100 needs a successor to keep up with them rivals!!

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #89 of 114
EPH-100 is the best IEM I could think of, with confident lol. It's hard to find other earphones that sounds similar, I think Carbo basso comes in mind ( deep bass and big soundstage) but the treble isn't close to it as it's somewhat grainy when played loudly. I hope DuoZa could rival the EPH-100; darn EPH-100 needs a successor to keep up with them rivals!!

+1

Hoping Duoza can better it else another eph100 coming just for my edm/trance needs.

Jan 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM Post #90 of 114

Yeah i just love them for trance, so far I haven't found anything that comes close to the awesome compatibility the Yams have.

Nothing wrong with sticking to the classics. :wink:

+1

Hoping Duoza can better it else another eph100 coming just for my edm/trance needs.

Yeah if anything can be an upgrade it's Zero audio, then again I'm sure there will be differences and advantages/disadvantages with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back