Yamaha EPH-M200 and EPH-M100 : EPH-100 Successor
Jan 18, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #106 of 114
Jan 19, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #108 of 114
Jan 19, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #110 of 114
I tend to disagree with the review somewhat. We all hear differently so don't take it personally.

1. Earphones can be worn over ear. I have been using mine over ear since I received them. Fit is fine with the right eartips, no problems there.

Overall, EPH-M200 is a big-bass, thick-mid, and smooth-treble earphone but I'm disappointed with the dark, congested, and bloated sound signature combined the poor soundstage that lacks of space and proper spatial location, especially for the given price, $100 - it was on sale so the value would go back to the retail price in future.

I don't find them dark or bloated. Actually, I find the sound to be rather on the fun side of neutral, with a bit of a darker sound but not overwhelmingly so (try the RHA t10i, if you really want dark and bass bloat), 

3. I do agree however in that they don't have the greatest soundstage. Also agree on treble remarks. Mids sounded fine to me and I did not notice any nasal tones to my music (flac or very high mp3's - indie rock, EDM, jazz and classical).
4. As for lack of isolation, this can be a positive thing if you use it outdoors, or in a workplace where someone may need your attention.
5. Price/performance - I would put them in the $100-200 range. Of course there are those outstanding earphones that perform way above their price point, these are not in that club. But if you can get them under a $100 you are getting a nice bargain.
6. I would rate them a 4 out of 5.

My source is the AK120ii.

Cheers.

Jan 19, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #111 of 114
  I tend to disagree with the review somewhat. We all hear differently so don't take it personally.

1. Earphones can be worn over ear. I have been using mine over ear since I received them. Fit is fine with the right eartips, no problems there.

I don't find them dark or bloated. Actually, I find the sound to be rather on the fun side of neutral, with a bit of a darker sound but not overwhelmingly so (try the RHA t10i, if you really want dark and bass bloat), 

3. I do agree however in that they don't have the greatest soundstage. Also agree on treble remarks. Mids sounded fine to me and I did not notice any nasal tones to my music (flac or very high mp3's - indie rock, EDM, jazz and classical).
4. As for lack of isolation, this can be a positive thing if you use it outdoors, or in a workplace where someone may need your attention.
5. Price/performance - I would put them in the $100-200 range. Of course there are those outstanding earphones that perform way above their price point, these are not in that club. But if you can get them under a $100 you are getting a nice bargain.
6. I would rate them a 4 out of 5.

My source is the AK120ii.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback! Well, I agree that reviews are personal and can differ from one's perspective to another. Similar to statement like the mid is fine but for me, it's too forwarded  I believe we need more reviews for M200 so we'll get better description in general rather than reading solely to one review, like the one I wrote. In the future, I should need to find a "positive control" earphone that has the true nasal sound but thanks for your hint bout "dark" one. I chose it was dark ( well, I've edited it to be slightly dark, just for safety purpose) because it fits the sound description of dark as ljokerl described in his 1st page of his thread in sound glossary:

Dark - A tonal balance that tilts downwards with increasing frequency. Opposite of bright. Weak high frequencies.

Jun 5, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #112 of 114
I liked mine quite a bit for the morning commute to listen to some ASOT. Great bass. Definitely a lack of isolation, but a good thing for me on a commute.

Unfortunately, the mic stopped working within two months and now the left wire came loose within 6 months. 

Sep 30, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #113 of 114
I noticed the M100 reviews were placed with the 100 reviews (EPH-100, no "M")...

http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-eph-m100-high-performance-earphones

... but these are different, right? No micro-drivers in the M version, not triple-flange, etc. Found this a little confusing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back