Yamaha EPH-M200 and EPH-M100 : EPH-100 Successor
Jan 14, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #91 of 114
Don't worry EPH-100 is on its way to my hand :). Will do comparison between duoza, doppio, tenore, basso, eph-100 and RockJaw Alfa Genus.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #92 of 114
Don't worry EPH-100 is on its way to my hand :). Will do comparison between duoza, doppio, tenore, basso, eph-100 and RockJaw Alfa Genus.

EPH100 vs Douza is gonna be very interesting!

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #93 of 114
Nothing wrong with sticking to the classics. :wink:

But the eph-100 has been discontinued so if the supply gets scarce and demand raises up, the price will escalate too. Maybe beyond of its retail price. Its just like the discontinued tf10, w4, and the um3x too. So hopefully there's one iem that at least sounds similar to it or better than it.

Jan 14, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #94 of 114
But the eph-100 has been discontinued so if the supply gets scarce and demand raises up, the price will escalate too. Maybe beyond of its retail price. Its just like the discontinued tf10, w4, and the um3x too. So hopefully there's one iem that at least sounds similar to it or better than it.

True that.

Plugged in my new (2nd) pair of EPH100s tonight into my X3 to play my recent 35 mins trance set and OMG I was engulfed in beautiful symphonies, 3D Ness, separation, sparkle and tight ass bass. Sexy female vocals are taking me to another place! Far far away, but just as beautiful as earth from space.

The mids aren't too clear but that will sort itself out with burn in. Pretty much same was happening with my 1st pair.

Posted an update to my review of the EPH100 - http://www.head-fi.org/products/yamaha-eph-100sl-inner-ear-headphone/reviews/8344

Jan 14, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #95 of 114
I remember the bass will improve later on, maybe in burn in ( back then, I didn't know what burn-in but it happened through long-term listening). Once it's done, it's thunderous though not overly dominating the mid. And currently the mid is still thin, well it's about right but not too recessed nor terribly forward and nasal, like that M200. What I like bout EPH-100 is the upper treble can sparkle without fatiguing your ears while maintaining smoothness. Similarly, Sony XBA-30 tries to make the 3D-ness through sparkle but it's darn piercing,metallic, rusty, and tooth-aching, brain busting upper treble. 

Jan 15, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #96 of 114
I remember the bass will improve later on, maybe in burn in ( back then, I didn't know what burn-in but it happened through long-term listening). Once it's done, it's thunderous though not overly dominating the mid. And currently the mid is still thin, well it's about right but not too recessed nor terribly forward and nasal, like that M200. What I like bout EPH-100 is the upper treble can sparkle without fatiguing your ears while maintaining smoothness. Similarly, Sony XBA-30 tries to make the 3D-ness through sparkle but it's darn piercing,metallic, rusty, and tooth-aching, brain busting upper treble. 

That's pretty much how my first pair of EPH100s went. After a while the bass tightened up, high got even clearer without being like a brain saw and mids clean up a treat without fading.

Lucky I didint get the XBA30, was planning to get them off DannyBai a while ago but never went through with it.

Jan 15, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #97 of 114
That's pretty much how my first pair of EPH100s went. After a while the bass tightened up, high got even clearer without being like a brain saw and mids clean up a treat without fading.

Lucky I didint get the XBA30, was planning to get them off DannyBai a while ago but never went through with it.

Same situation, i bought an used iem from a fellow headfier, iemagnet, which eventually got banned for unknown reasons (maybe multiple accounts). I realized the foam filter covering the nozzle was removed so i cannot tell the sound of the new one. Such alteration was also irreversible. Tried to put foams back on my own and it didnt go well. I learned that when people sell used iems, there's high probability the iem doesnt sound that good for the price. Or there's a chance it could have been altered like in my situation. Make sure you ask that too before buying off from someone.

But yeah you made the right decision. Recently i purchased the xba-20 and now that sound is right on spot. I love that straight barrel design, fits comfortably and sound just like when i wished the tweeter of my xba-30 got busted.

Jan 15, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #98 of 114
Same situation, i bought an used iem from a fellow headfier, iemagnet, which eventually got banned for unknown reasons (maybe multiple accounts). I realized the foam filter covering the nozzle was removed so i cannot tell the sound of the new one. Such alteration was also irreversible. Tried to put foams back on my own and it didnt go well. I learned that when people sell used iems, there's high probability the iem doesnt sound that good for the price. Or there's a chance it could have been altered like in my situation. Make sure you ask that too before buying off from someone.

But yeah you made the right decision. Recently i purchased the xba-20 and now that sound is right on spot. I love that straight barrel design, fits comfortably and sound just like when i wished the tweeter of my xba-30 got busted.

Yeah I remember him lol. Never thought thought that guy was legit.

I buy brand new with IEMs wherever possible. Headphones are a different story on the other hand.

What foams are you talking about btw?

Jan 15, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #99 of 114
I've missed these sexy things..

Jan 15, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #100 of 114
I just got my EPH-100 and true enough they sound way better than the M200. First listening, they sound a little bit thin on the vocal and they are very sparkly, almost piercing. Hoefully with burn in the treble will settled down a bit. Also, I just got my FX850 with lush mid so that can affect it too lol.

Jan 15, 2015 at 7:41 PM Post #101 of 114
I just got my EPH-100 and true enough they sound way better than the M200. First listening, they sound a little bit thin on the vocal and they are very sparkly, almost piercing. Hoefully with burn in the treble will settled down a bit. Also, I just got my FX850 with lush mid so that can affect it too lol.

Good stuff, the treble will ease off with burn in. Mids will fill out and bass will get faster and more precise.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #102 of 114
After going back and forth between DuoZa and FX850, listening to EPH-100, it sounds so thin and dry, treble is a little piercing lol. Still burning in tho.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #103 of 114
  After going back and forth between DuoZa and FX850, listening to EPH-100, it sounds so thin and dry, treble is a little piercing lol. Still burning in tho.

No way :frowning2: I don't find it piercing lol. Back then before I discover head-fi nor burn-in effect, I straight listened to it and everything was okay.  But my goodness, you've got another comin'?

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #104 of 114
It is probably because I've been using the fx850 and DuoZa more. If you have either one of them, you will know what I am talking about.
What I meant when I said the high is piercing, it is because eph100 is more treble prominent iem and it is not harsh treble. Well if you compare it against fx850 or duoza, the eph100 will sound a bit thin and dry.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM Post #105 of 114
Piercing? No way possible. Unless you're a bit sensitive. Also remember that its a micro dynamic IEM unlike the FX850 and Douz so it's bound to sound different.

I listened to mine for a straight 2 hours today. Treble was a little rough at first but then it already started settling down after an hour or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back