Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #886 of 4,690

Quote:
Now that you talk about the Shure SE215, a friend of mine, that has tested pretty much every top-tier IEM on the market, have given up of IEMs for headphones and bought a SE215 just to use while traveling (sometimes). He says they're brilliant for the price. Do you confirm that?

@RapidPulse, have you burnt them in for how much time?

The shure's do "surely" provide a good isolation.

Apart from that they are no different than other IEM's (portability wise)

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #887 of 4,690

Quote:
Just stumbled upon Zeds Dead a couple days ago on Spotify, very similar to Bassnectar or Subvert.  Makes me think I'm more of a bass-head than I thought!  Good Stuff.

Bassnectar. Great stuff
cool.gif
(can't find subvert)

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #888 of 4,690

Quote:

@RapidPulse, have you burnt them in for how much time?

I haven't burned them in that long yet...only have about 25 hours on em. Look forward to seeing if these age like a fine wine 
wink.gif
. I like to have some variety in the sound signatures of my IEMs (and I don't currently have anything else that sounds quite like these)...so I can see me keeping them.

The EPH sound awesome with Peter Gabriel, Pink Floyd, etc.  But I still prefer my GR07s for metal (drums,cymbals, guitar crunch) and as a general all-arounder.  

The GR07 and EPH100 are really a good contrast.  Whenever I start using one right after using the other, my first reaction is: ugh!
I hate the way the soundstage depth just completely vanishes when switching to the GR07.  But only for a few seconds..then my ears remember why I love the GR07 so much.
And then it is hard to go back to the Yamaha.

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #889 of 4,690

Quote:
I had the MDT's and currently have the Yamaha's.  As mentioned, the monster's have huge bass...more than I actually wanted in some cases (which is why I sold them).  For me, the comfort was very good.  Overall, I liked them better than I do the EPH100.

In retrospect, I regret selling them.

I'm not saying the MDT's are uncomfortable (but they can be when using certain tips), just that the Yamahas win in this aspect. The MDT's are great, and have their own strong points when comparing them with the eph100. For example, their cable, connections and overall materials and presentation (box, cases, etc) are way better than on the eph100. Plus, they have a  lifetime warranty. I love their bass and the sound signature they have, but as you said, that same amount of bass (and their lack of soundstage) don't do very good with certain genres. On the other hand, the eph100 seems more polivalent, have a better soundstage and clarity, isolate better and are more comfortable.

I guess there is no such a thing as a perfect IEM. I truly wish there was one that could take the better of these two. I love them both.

Feb 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #890 of 4,690
Just found a new genre. ChillDub. Dub-step Chilled Out. Simply out of this world with the Yamahas, such is the clarity/definition and the BASS.
L3000.gif
You can hear the lowermost details. Man, it's very relaxing and with loads of bass. Sounds antagonic, but really relaxes me and give alot of fun at the same time. Much better than Chillout. Recommended for the yammies ; )

Feb 9, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #891 of 4,690
15 hours to have my gems.
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #892 of 4,690

Quote:
15 hours to have my gems.
ksc75smile.gif

Lol

I feel for you... Seems like its been a very looong wait for you.
I hope they exceed your expectations.

I just discovered most fantastic album - 'Ahk-toong Bay-bi Covered' (Achtung Baby - U2). Checking it out as I write.
Got to second track 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'. Stunning cover track. Given one of my favourite album new lease of life.
To my ears drumming & guitaring is very satisfying. Male vocals very rich & enveloping especially apparent in 3rd track 'One'. Sibilant free. 

Maybe i'm better off not having heard drums on a GR07 which are supposed to be very good.

Ignorance can be Bliss
wink_face.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #893 of 4,690
Indeed.
smile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #894 of 4,690

Quote:
I just discovered most fantastic album - 'Ahk-toong Bay-bi Covered' (Achtung Baby - U2). Checking it out as I write.
Got to second track 'Even Better Than The Real Thing'. Stunning cover track. Given one of my favourite album new lease of life.
To my ears drumming & guitaring is very satisfying. Male vocals very rich & enveloping especially apparent in 3rd track 'One'. Sibilant free. 

Great stuff. The yamahas do shine on this ; )

Feb 9, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #895 of 4,690
Well the MTPG's mids aren't really forward, but they certainly aren't recessed either. I think the Miles Davis Tributes would really meet your needs, having forward mids with plenty of bass(both mid and sub-bass), and not being bright or dark. The main caveat is the soundstage. While it has good depth, it is not very wide. Doesn't sound congested or anything, just doesn't have a whole lot of width vs. other high-end IEMs.

The tributes are definitely on my list...if I'm honest I prefer the looks of the turbines :p However given your input I would likely go the route of the tributes. However I'm currently looking at an option that has just surfaced at a very reasonable price...more to come :D

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #897 of 4,690
Countdown ... 8 hours missing....ehehe

Classic full powered with good stuff, and clean ears.

atsmile.gif

Feb 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #898 of 4,690
Well I've had my EPH-100's for 2 days and have about 15 hours on them and I'm really enjoying this IEM.  The bass is very well represented with pretty good depth and a nice punch and texture especially for a 6mm driver.  The mids which is my favorite part (that and the bass) right now, its very smooth and a little forward which I like as none of my other IEM's really have forward mids (well the FXT90 do to some extent).  Vocals just shine with these and they really enhance the midrange melodies and other samples in my EDM that make the tracks very fun to listen to.  The highs are detailed and clear at the same time they're smooth and never to bright or in your face.  They do get brighter when I use them with my Fuze or Sony E-series but with my i10 they sound more laid back and really a little to dull.  As for the soundstage its another strong part of the Yamahas presentation with good width and depth but like many have said they really standout with the instrument separation and the 3D effect, which I love because it makes a lot of my EDM sound very cool.

For only $115 (from Audio Affair) these are wonderful little IEM's that have me reaching for them now more than my others like the TF10, FXT90 and the like.  Granted you always go for the one you just got but I'm digging the sound signature of these bad boys a lot at the moment as the never get fatiguing and are quite comfortable for long listening sessions.  These makes me actually want to try the Monster Miles Davis Trumpets and I read someone say that they liked them as much or a little more than the Yamaha's but $299 seems a bit to steep of a price for them so I'll wait for that to drop some.  All in all the EPH-100 is a great IEM at its price point and thanks to all the early reviews that helped me decide to go ahead and get'em.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #899 of 4,690
Nice!

Quote:
Well I've had my EPH-100's for 2 days and have about 15 hours on them and I'm really enjoying this IEM.  The bass is very well represented with pretty good depth and a nice punch and texture especially for a 6mm driver.  The mids which is my favorite part (that and the bass) right now, its very smooth and a little forward which I like as none of my other IEM's really have forward mids (well the FXT90 do to some extent).  Vocals just shine with these and they really enhance the midrange melodies and other samples in my EDM that make the tracks very fun to listen to.  The highs are detailed and clear at the same time they're smooth and never to bright or in your face.  They do get brighter when I use them with my Fuze or Sony E-series but with my i10 they sound more laid back and really a little to dull.  As for the soundstage its another strong part of the Yamahas presentation with good width and depth but like many have said they really standout with the instrument separation and the 3D effect, which I love because it makes a lot of my EDM sound very cool.

For only $115 (from Audio Affair) these are wonderful little IEM's that have me reaching form them now more than my others like the TF10, FXT90 and the like.  Granted you always go for the one you just got but I'm digging the sound signature of these bad boys a lot at the moment as the never get fatiguing and are quite comfortable for long listening sessions.  These makes me actually want to try the Monster Miles Davis Trumpets and I read someone say that they liked them as much or a little more than the Yamaha's but $299 seems a bit to steep of a price for them so I'll wait for that to drop some.  All in all the EPH-100 is a great IEM at its price point and thanks to all the early reviews that helped me decide to go ahead and get'em.

Feb 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #900 of 4,690
Do you listen to any EDM? If so, grab some Deadmau5 :) You won't regret it, the EPH-100 are MADE for more chill house, ambient, etc: music that benefits from good bass and a mid-forward but not overly in-your-face sound.

Quote:
Countdown ... 8 hours missing....ehehe

Classic full powered with good stuff, and clean ears.

atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back