Yamaha EPH-100
Dec 17, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #17 of 4,690
Received mine today with my GR07s!

I've got to say these are quite fun IEMs compared to what I've been listening to the BAs I've been listening to lately! This are only first impressions though with no burn in. Although the treble on these seem to be "lacking" (not really lacking, just I am too used to my CK10s) they're still quite detailed and convey clarity. Hopefully this improves with burn in as I quite like my treble.

Hopefully the GR07s don't better the Yamahas too much... Time to open my GR07s!

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #18 of 4,690

Quote:
Received mine today with my GR07s!

I've got to say these are quite fun IEMs compared to what I've been listening to the BAs I've been listening to lately! This are only first impressions though with no burn in. Although the treble on these seem to be "lacking" (not really lacking, just I am too used to my CK10s) they're still quite detailed and convey clarity. Hopefully this improves with burn in as I quite like my treble.

Burn them for a while. I just hated the first trial: no treble, and not the V signature I was used to before.
I let them burn for a week (8-10 hours per day) and EQ-ed treble very slightly up on my Cowon.

CK10s are known to put treble in your face (I had the same impression when comparing EPH-100 with FX700), but soon you should hear the extreme instrument separation and detailed medium of the EPH-100s. Question is: will you like that?

GR07s are more "classical" dynamic drivers IEMs (but need burning as well). I don't own them, what from is said here and there, it looks like they share similarities with IE8s.

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #19 of 4,690
I'm really thinking of picking these up after the holidays but I was wondering how you think they'd fair with EDM (electronic music)?  From what I've read in this thread they seem like they'd preform well especially the way the bass is described but when james444 said that their more like an MC3 with soul that kinda makes me wonder.  I've got it down to these or the Sony MDR-EX600's which also seem like they have the sound signature I'm looking for, especially when I see a frequency response of 4Hz to 28kHz.

Dec 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM Post #20 of 4,690
Quote:
I'm really thinking of picking these up after the holidays but I was wondering how you think they'd fair with EDM (electronic music)?  From what I've read in this thread they seem like they'd preform well especially the way the bass is described but when james444 said that their more like an MC3 with soul that kinda makes me wonder.  I've got it down to these or the Sony MDR-EX600's which also seem like they have the sound signature I'm looking for, especially when I see a frequency response of 4Hz to 28kHz.

Well, that was the first thought that came to mind and I actually meant it as a compliment. The EPH-100 and Ety MC3/5 share some similarity in technical design and flat monitor-like balance, with slightly tuned down and forgiving treble, but whereas the Etys are undynamic and soulless, the Yamahas provide good dynamics and a moderate bass boost (but less than the FX700) for a bit of added fun. Overall their signature is slightly laid-back and mid-forward like the e-Q7, but you get that great DD timbre and bass texture without having to compromise in isolation like with other top DDs. They're maybe a tad short of the very best in resolution, but have nice separation and pretty good soundstage for deep fitting IEMs. So far the best closed dynamic driver based IEMs I've tried (haven't heard any of the Monsters though) and pretty good value for €140 imo.

Between these and the EX600, both are reasonably balanced, but the Sonys are leaner, clearer and have more emphasis on treble, whereas the Yamahas are more polite on top and slightly more tilted towards the low end, with a bit more emphasis on mid-bass than the EX600. You won't get the Sony's almost headphone-like presentation with the EPH-100, but soundstage and isolation are usually tradeoffs and if you need the the latter, the Yamahas are undoubtedly the better choice.

Dec 18, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #21 of 4,690
Cool thanks for explaining that.  I have the HF5's and while they're good it just has to much of a flat sound signature for me so they way you discribed the EPH-100 it sounds like they're more lively which is what I'm looking for.  I've heard the e-Q7's and if the EPH-100's sound anything like those with more bass then I'd be very happy with them, I just don't have the $250 to spend on the Ortofon's.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #22 of 4,690
Well, I wouldn't put them quite on par with the Ortofons in clarity and resolution, but they don't fall far short and overall their sound sig is similarly mid-forward and laid-back with some additional punch down there.

Dec 18, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #23 of 4,690
I didn't mean that you'd said they sound exactly the same just similar, I got what you meant.

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #24 of 4,690
Just out of interest, how much are these in the US roughly?

Dec 18, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #25 of 4,690
Every place I've looked is a firm $149.95

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #26 of 4,690
hello guys, im very interested into this iem...
i love micro drivers, i have faith in them in reproducing a much better clarity and better sound quality than most BAs and dynamic driver/s.

id like to know if this is thin or thick sounding.
i have a ue700 and it sounds thin.
however, id like to know if this sounds thin.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #27 of 4,690

Quote:
No sorry, these are hard to come by in my area.
I updated my review after further A/B-ing against FX700s. Soundstage on the Yamahas is substantially better on Yamahas, not really due to the distance, but spatialization is better, you're sitting at the center of musicians in a nice living-room, while FX700s put musicians more in your face. I really wonder how these Yamahas can use dynamic drivers with a such a sound. These must be a bit special.

micro drivers will always have a special space in my heart.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #28 of 4,690
The EPH-100 don't sound thin like the UE700, I tried those a few days ago and they're the worst of the TWFK based IEMs I've heard. Not because of their thinness though (I could live with that), but because the TWFK's typical metallic coloration is even worse on the UE700 than on the B2 and CK10.

That said, the Yamahas are neither thin nor particularly thick, in fact they're pretty good at sounding inconspicuous and have much more realistic timbre than the UE700. But please don't expect BA/MA-like clarity from their micro drivers, they are good for the price and probably clearer than a lot of mid-level DDs, but certainly not quite as clear as quality BAs.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 4,690
thank you james.
im looking for a new pair of iem.
and the yamaha is the number one on my list (ala cc51, micro dynamic and ala-monster miles davis trumpet).
this seems to be the cheaper way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back