Yamaha EPH-100
Mar 11, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #4,488 of 4,690
I am finding the "ML tips" and I only find your comment.. can you detail more the name or website please?

Sorry I meant the stock Medium-Large tips.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:42 AM Post #4,490 of 4,690
FYI EPH-100 is now listed on complyfoam website as compatible with t-600 and ts-600

Yeah I'm sure people have mentioned before that complys work on the EPH100.

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #4,492 of 4,690

It seems i have the same problem (just some wax). I've just cleaned them with hydrogen peroxide (3%), without opening them (for now), and they sounds like new :)

CLEAN, CLEAN , CLEAN.

The last few months I had the idea that my 3 year old EPH-100's were slowly dying ion me. The suddenly I lost 80% of the volume on the left side, thinking that they had died.

Then I read the this thread about cleaning the mesh in front of the drivers.With the pictures in the link below I was able to give the mesh a good clean and now they sound MUCH MUCH better 
ksc75smile.gif
. I was surprised that the mesh came out so easily. When viewing them into the light I could see that the about 75% of the holes in the mesh (of both of them) were blocked by dirt and/or earwax. With small tooth rag I could clean most of the dirt and opened op the holes in the mesh and WOW what a difference. Looks like I need to do this every few months or so. Will give them a good clean later today.

Here the post of extrabigmehdi with pictures how to remove the mesh.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/577712/yamaha-eph-100/3660#post_10260225

I would recommend this procedure it to all who have had these EIM's for a while. Be careful not to touch/damage the drivers themselves.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #4,493 of 4,690
can anyone here tell me how big the smallest eartips are? I'm a bit worried they are too big.

For reference. To date the best fit i have is with the smallest sony silicone buds. I get a perfect seal. I've tried the sa6 with bi flanges, but that just hurts my ears. Foam also doesn't cut it for me.

Would the eph-100 double flange compare well with the sony earbuds (smallest) and/or will they fit on the eph-100 (and will they not hurt when inserted?)?

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:29 AM Post #4,494 of 4,690
can anyone here tell me how big the smallest eartips are? I'm a bit worried they are too big.

For reference. To date the best fit i have is with the smallest sony silicone buds. I get a perfect seal. I've tried the sa6 with bi flanges, but that just hurts my ears. Foam also doesn't cut it for me.

Would the eph-100 double flange compare well with the sony earbuds (smallest) and/or will they fit on the eph-100 (and will they not hurt when inserted?)?

I don't think the smallest tips are much bigger than the bore of the earphone. Sony hybrid tips don't fit as the bore size is too small.

Mar 28, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #4,495 of 4,690
I don't use the sony hybrids. I use the normal sony tips. But in any case, as i understand, the yamaha would be too big for my ears as the tips don't fit the sony small silicones. That's too bad though :frowning2: Would a spin fit alleviate some of this problem?

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #4,496 of 4,690
Here's a simple hack:

Take your least favorite original tip, and groom it around so that it only cover
the earphone. This means that only the base remains, and it is no more triple flunge.
Do it with the eartips that absolutely do not match your ears, since the ear tips
are destroyed.

Then take this "stems" and put them on the earphones. Over them, put

Bose 362538-0020 StayHear Plus tips

tips. Note that this is not the usual Stayhear tips, but the ones that come
with the QC20 noise cancelling. I am not a Bose affectionado, and one can
buy these eartips separately, I think it is 10EU for two pairs. They come in 3 sizes.

The picture demonstrates the construction.

Several things happen:
1. The seal might be less tight than the originals.
2. As per 1, there is a bit less bass. I take this as an improvement.
3. For me it solved the problem of earphones that get moisturized
    and stop playing at one side (also I put some silica in earphone's 
    pouch.
At least in my opinion, this sounds wonderful, and highly comfortable
(the tips are also made for sporting activities).

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #4,497 of 4,690
  Finally get to post in this thread after following it for the last few months! Woohoo!

After thoroughly reading through from page 1, looking at images of real vs. fake EPH 100s, reading sound impressions, etc. I decided to take a dive a grab a pair that I fully expected to be fake from a seller on AliExpress. I figured that if they were at least as good as my guilty pleasure KZ Micro Ring, the 30 bucks would be well spent.

When they finally arrived, I knew right off that they weren't a legit pair. The packaging and accessories are a splitting image of those in this real vs. fake comparo (fyi, it's in Russian), soggy, useless tips and all (had a pair tear apart the first time removing them, lol);

http://konovalof.ru/yamaha-eph-100-original-vs-fake/

The earphone housings themselves, well they were actually a splitting image of the legit pair shown in those pictures. The craftmanship is excellent with the visible ridges being exceptionally clean cut and slender. This came as a bit of a surprise as I was expecting them to have wide ridges and look clearly like a counterfeit pair.

Since the included tips were not really usable, I swapped them out for the pair of mediums that came with my JVC HA-FRD60. I also tried them out with the stock medium tips that came with the KZ Micro Ring. To my surprise, this pair of EPH-100 sounds pretty darn good. They're not warm sounding, nor particularly competent in the low end, but they do pump out some amazing detail. The one feature of a legit pair of EPH-100 that I was intrigued with was their fantastic stereo imaging. Luckily this is fully intact with these replicas. For rock, jazz, and other genres that rely on live instruments and powerful vocals, these are beautiful. King Crimson's Red album sounds amazing for example. I wish they had more bass, however what is there is quick and accurate with zero bleed into the mids. The Micro Ring tips boost treble and mids due to a wider bore which sits closer to the driver. The JVC tips have a smaller bore which rests a couple mms from the driver and make the iem slightly warmer sounding, with a much appreciated however mild boost to both mid- and sub-bass. The JVC tips sound better, but the KZ tips are more comfortable and are easier to get a good seal with.

I have to say that this ended up being a pretty successful buy. For those that want a pair of EPH-100 but do not want to spend a lot, you could definitely do worse than to pick these up. They compare well with my favorite iems, such as the Dunu Titan 1, Sony AS800AP, and are (imo) better than any of the KZ offerings. The Micro Ring is pretty close though.

I bought them from this store: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Original-EPH-100-Wired-3-5MM-Hi-fi-stereo-Earphones-Professional-ear-metal-noise-fone-de/32336688030.html

I did end up chatting with the seller about why I felt these were not legitimate. He was actually pretty nice to speak with prior to them arriving, as I had some issues with shipping. Since I quite liked the seller and the product, I wasn't going to open a dispute as they were easily worth the price, however I still wanted to hear what he had to say about the legitimacy of the product being sold. This was his explanation (which was very similar to one someone else posted earlier in the thread):

"This headset is produced in its original oem factory, but the package is from our factory.
Unable to get the genuine packaging, so we used an alternative packaging.
Because of alleged smuggling, so in packaging, we have dealt with the logo (the logos and L/R marking were not printed with the utmost of care), hope you can understand.
To see you like our product, very grateful."

Would I buy these again? Yup. Do I still want to try out a legitimate pair of EPH-100? Sure do. Overall a success I say. 
beerchug.gif

great post, thanks! you just saved me 40 bucks i guess. btw the seller keeps insisting on the authenticity of these earphones...

Apr 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #4,498 of 4,690
I just bought the EPH-100 and really enjoy them!
Was thinking they will sound especially nice with acoustic music but I enjoy them with IDM too and electronic music with lots of texture.
They are so tiny it's inconcevable!
Don't know if they became less bright with burning but they sound nice already out of the box so....
Will listen more and more!

And perhaps compare them with their chinese official ''imitation'' conter part that I bough ultra cheap (KZ HDS2) if anybody is interested.

Cheers and happy listening!

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #4,500 of 4,690

Users who are viewing this thread

Back