Yamaha EPH-100
Apr 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #3,826 of 4,690
  Hey everyone

I have just recently purchased a pair of EPH-100 on eBay, and mine look identical to the ones on the images 118R3volution posted on Page 253. Very apparent grooves around the housing and light print on the Yamaha logo on the left earbud.

However, unlike you I don't have much previous experience regarding earphones. On the other hand, I have done some research and found out that these are being sold of AliExpress for as low as $39.99, and the Chinese equivalent of it ( http://www.1688.com ) for 125-150 Yuan, or $20-25 USD. The pictures they provide in the packaging look the same as the one I received, but they only provide them OEM, without the package.

Also, I didn't receive 5 pairs of tips in the package. I saw that the legitimate package comes with a little ziplock bag, but mine didn't and only had 4 pairs, one of them in the case.

My eBay seller is based in China and he refused to comment the authenticity of the product, but he said that he is fine with me returning the item for a full refund or even keeping the item for a partial refund, so that's good.

I am heavily inclined on returning these right now. What do you guys think?

How do they sound for you? Do the ear tips included feel unusually soft? 

Apr 20, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #3,827 of 4,690

Hey everyone

I have just recently purchased a pair of EPH-100 on eBay, and mine look identical to the ones on the images 118R3volution posted on Page 253. Very apparent grooves around the housing and light print on the Yamaha logo on the left earbud.

However, unlike you I don't have much previous experience regarding earphones. On the other hand, I have done some research and found out that these are being sold of AliExpress for as low as $39.99, and the Chinese equivalent of it ( http://www.1688.com ) for 125-150 Yuan, or $20-25 USD. The pictures they provide in the packaging look the same as the one I received, but they only provide them OEM, without the package.

Also, I didn't receive 5 pairs of tips in the package. I saw that the legitimate package comes with a little ziplock bag, but mine didn't and only had 4 pairs, one of them in the case.

My eBay seller is based in China and he refused to comment the authenticity of the product, but he said that he is fine with me returning the item for a full refund or even keeping the item for a partial refund, so that's good.

I am heavily inclined on returning these right now. What do you guys think?

How do they sound for you? Do the ear tips included feel unusually soft? 

If these are sold on AliExpress at those prices, that is a proof that there are EPH-100 fakes on the market.  Who did you buy yours from and what was the price?

Apr 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,828 of 4,690

If these are sold on AliExpress at those prices, that is a proof that there are EPH-100 fakes on the market.  Who did you buy yours from and what was the price?

Mine personally were from a guy off eBay. The seller stated that he got them for a good deal from his headphone supplier. Which personally raises suspicion that they might not be 100% genuine. I paid 88.00 USD for the "open box" pair (not including shipping/handing). To be honest the knock offs are so well done that the seller might not know the difference. He said he listened to them and they sounded fine to him, and actually went into pretty significant detail regarding the EPH-100 sound signature and how I should at least try to burn them in etc. He was not hesitant at all to return them even though the listing stated "No Returns". 

Like I said before, I have never been 100% certain that my pair was fake. That being said, there were enough indications and probability that I couldn't be satisfied with what I received. 

NOW the question is, do I start all over again and give the EPH-100 another chance or just move on. The JVC HA-FX850 has caught my attention big time, however is still a bit to expensive/unattainable for me. I'm thinking the HA-FX750 might just do the job........ 

Apr 21, 2014 at 7:07 AM Post #3,829 of 4,690
Try a genuine pair first. If you like them then that's then end of it, if you don't then because your pair will be genuine you'll have got them from a place with a good returns policy. TBH you'll probably end up enjoying a genuine pair anyway.

Apr 21, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #3,830 of 4,690

Mine personally were from a guy off eBay. The seller stated that he got them for a good deal from his headphone supplier. Which personally raises suspicion that they might not be 100% genuine. I paid 88.00 USD for the "open box" pair (not including shipping/handing). To be honest the knock offs are so well done that the seller might not know the difference. He said he listened to them and they sounded fine to him, and actually went into pretty significant detail regarding the EPH-100 sound signature and how I should at least try to burn them in etc. He was not hesitant at all to return them even though the listing stated "No Returns". 

Like I said before, I have never been 100% certain that my pair was fake. That being said, there were enough indications and probability that I couldn't be satisfied with what I received. 

NOW the question is, do I start all over again and give the EPH-100 another chance or just move on. The JVC HA-FX850 has caught my attention big time, however is still a bit to expensive/unattainable for me. I'm thinking the HA-FX750 might just do the job........ 

"I would absolutely agree with you that i'm a basshead! I went to a DJ Tiesto live show a few years back and he played the track Chase & Status - Flashing Lights (Feat. Sub Focus & Takura). At 3:00 when that nasty filthy beat drops in my ribs were shaking and I loved that I could feel the music as much as hear it."

...."I just wish I had a thick enough wallet to try them all! =)"

With a thick enough wallet you can get the best, the very good, good, the bad and the ugly.  If your wallet is not thick enough to get them all, then what should you get?  The answer is obvious.  Get something as close to the best as you can.  You only live once, unless you come back to reign with Jesus during the millenium.  But, that is too far ahead in time to be considered in your decision, ha, ha.

Basshead headphones are the hardest ones to make right.  So, you will have to aim higher in price than non-bassheads to make your ears happy.  Add to that, the $300 range sweet spot logic.  Add to those two, that with the EPH-100 you run the risk of having the left earphone volume drop problem they have become well known for.   Add to those three, that you can get the EPH-100 later if you want to.  Answer to your question:  Communicate with ericp10 and mikaveli06 about your need and let us know what they say.  We'll take it from there then.

What is the max that you can spend, including shipping?

Apr 22, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #3,831 of 4,690

This is madness!

Here are some pics. 

The last picture here is what first made me hesitant of the headphones being real. Would yamaha really send them out of the factory with a patchy decal like that? Plus the machined "grooves" are pretty defined. Not sure how others compare. 

As I am listening to them, the treble is sharp, defined and have a solid mid. They honestly just lack the rumble, punch, and sub bass that I was expecting to find in a well rounded headphone. Its not entirely absent, its just not enough to satisfy. 

Its sad that I am potentially "burning in" a pair of fake EPH-100. damn. 

So I believe that I have a very similar situation. I also purchased a pair from ebay (probably should have been more careful) and the end product is exactly the same as in these photos. Extremely prominent grooves on the housings compared to the smooth body on my legitimate pair. I'm pretty sure, almost 100% sure, mine are fake because I also compared the tips which are super squishy compared to my legitimate tips from my previous pair of Yamaha's and the carrying case that came with is stiffer(?) than the legitimate one. What's even worse is occasionally there is buzzing from the left side and (I kid you not) I keep getting shocked by the earphones when I use them. Essentially stopping me from even actually using them -_-
I don't really know what I should do whether it's to contact the seller as it has been about 2 weeks since I got them
Any suggestions guys?

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #3,833 of 4,690

This is madness!

Here are some pics. 

The last picture here is what first made me hesitant of the headphones being real. Would yamaha really send them out of the factory with a patchy decal like that? Plus the machined "grooves" are pretty defined. Not sure how others compare. 

As I am listening to them, the treble is sharp, defined and have a solid mid. They honestly just lack the rumble, punch, and sub bass that I was expecting to find in a well rounded headphone. Its not entirely absent, its just not enough to satisfy. 

Its sad that I am potentially "burning in" a pair of fake EPH-100. damn. 

So I believe that I have a very similar situation. I also purchased a pair from ebay (probably should have been more careful) and the end product is exactly the same as in these photos. Extremely prominent grooves on the housings compared to the smooth body on my legitimate pair. I'm pretty sure, almost 100% sure, mine are fake because I also compared the tips which are super squishy compared to my legitimate tips from my previous pair of Yamaha's and the carrying case that came with is stiffer(?) than the legitimate one. What's even worse is occasionally there is buzzing from the left side and (I kid you not) I keep getting shocked by the earphones when I use them. Essentially stopping me from even actually using them -_-
I don't really know what I should do whether it's to contact the seller as it has been about 2 weeks since I got them
Any suggestions guys?

Contact eBay.  If you got a fake pair of EPH-100, it is not only your right, but also your duty to do what you can do to clean eBay of fake stuff.  eBay is big against having counterfeit items sold through their website.  eBay will instruct you not to return the item and your payment will be fully refunded.  Anybody who reads this that has gotten a fake item through eBay, should proceed as I just described, within 45 days from the purchase date.  If sellers would just write in the description that the item that they are selling is an aftermarket version of the OEM, then everything would be alright.  But, making the item look like genuine when it isn't, is plain FRAUD.  So, if you just return the item you will encourage the seller to continue the FRAUD.  It will be just the opposite if you contact eBay's resolution center.  Here it is:

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

Just curious, how is the sound quality of the new pair compared to the previous one?

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #3,836 of 4,690
Thanks guys, contacted eBay and just waiting to see what happens now.
I didn't really get to spend much time actually listening to them haha buuuuuuut from what I can tell the bass definitely lacks a bit of punch (from memory anyway). Instrument separation has also taken a few steps backwards and the mids and highs feel a BIT more veiled than before. Overall it isn't horrible to listen to. I can't comment too much as I have been shocked  more than enough times (which is why I refuse to listen to them) and it's just not what I'm into so I haven't really kept these in my ears for extended listening. 
This is coming from a new member so take this with a grain (or handful) of salt.

Apr 23, 2014 at 12:49 AM Post #3,837 of 4,690
  can't make the difference from the pic. I'd rather think that there's a problem with a produced batch.

That is a possibility.  Therefore, besides or before contacting eBay, you should contact YAMAHA, the manufacturer.  You should tell them that the EPH-100 that you got are either fakes or a lousy product that should have never left the factory and ask them to take a stand on the matter.  Someone, has to take responsibility for the sub par quality product that you got.

Apr 23, 2014 at 3:59 AM Post #3,838 of 4,690
can't make the difference from the pic. I'd rather think that there's a problem with a produced batch.

From the pictures it look like the real one have the characters R and L engraved in the metal and the fake ones have the characters painted on them. Can someone confirm this?

Mine have all the signs of real ones (bought them at a reputable store) . They have engraved characters and they sound great on my CLIP+.
Cant wait for my FIIO X5 to arrave to give them a good workout.

Apr 23, 2014 at 5:15 AM Post #3,839 of 4,690

From the pictures it look like the real one have the characters R and L engraved in the metal and the fake ones have the characters painted on them. Can someone confirm this?

Mine have all the signs of real ones (bought them at a reputable store) . They have engraved characters and they sound great on my CLIP+.
Cant wait for my FIIO X5 to arrave to give them a good workout.

Ahahaha.... GG. Guess mine are most definitely fakes then. Will do further comparison when I get my original ones back from my friend. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back