Yamaha EPH-100
Apr 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM Post #3,811 of 4,690
I have read some good comments of those S4 compared to other IEMs.  Also, I have read that the EPH-100 don't have enough bass for those who like a lot of bass, just like many of the bassheads.  Could it be possible that the S4 just have more bass quantity than the EPH-100 by design?

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #3,812 of 4,690
  I have read some good comments of those S4 compared to other IEMs.  Also, I have read that the EPH-100 don't have enough bass for those who like a lot of bass, just like many of the bassheads.  Could it be possible that the S4 just have more bass quantity than the EPH-100 by design?

Potentially yes. The S4i has a frequency range from 10Hz-19kHz and uses a 8.5mm driver, compared to the EPH-100 at 20Hz-20kHz and 6.25mm. I can say with confidence that the S4 is a very well rounded IEM, just has a few major shortcomings. 

I actually was very interested in the x11i because of how happy I was with the S4... after reading about them I discovered about BA.... and was interested in the Sony XBA-40.... then I was hesitant about spending around $300... so opted for the EPH-100... and now here I am. 

I feel like the XBA-H2 would be a great headphone for me. 13.5mm Driver + a single B.A. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,813 of 4,690

Potentially yes. The S4i has a frequency range from 10Hz-19kHz and uses a 8.5mm driver, compared to the EPH-100 at 20Hz-20kHz and 6.25mm. I can say with confidence that the S4 is a very well rounded IEM, just has a few major shortcomings. 

I actually was very interested in the x11i because of how happy I was with the S4... after reading about them I discovered about BA.... and was interested in the Sony XBA-40.... then I was hesitant about spending around $300... so opted for the EPH-100... and now here I am. 

I feel like the XBA-H2 would be a great headphone for me. 13.5mm Driver + a single B.A. 

Here is the thread for those Sony's:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680119/sony-xba-h1-and-xba-h3-hybrid-dynamic-and-ba-iem

Right now the JVC HA-FX850 are hot among those that I referred to as "consultants" in the Discovery thread.  Please, read that post again.  We had discussed the subject previously in the Discovery thread seeing that they would not stop buying IEMs and headphones, spending a lot of money trying to get a lot of enjoyment from + or - $100 earphones.  Gradually, they have moved up to the $300 range and it is obvious that they do not regret the move to a higher spending zone.  Ha, ha.  The $100 zone is good.  The $300 is better.  Higher zones are even better, but by how much?  There is a curve of return in enjoyment per $1 spent.  If the $300 zone is not the sweet spot, it surely is close to it.

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #3,814 of 4,690
Awesome, thanks for explaining that in a little further detail Alberto =)

To be honest, now that I have tried them with single flange tips, I am leaning towards just sending them back. With a bit over 30 hours through them, in addition to my suspicions of them being fake and not producing nearly as much sub bass as my S4i, I would be better off keeping my S4i for a little while longer and continue shopping for a different IEM. And as you suggested, I might need to spend a bit more to find something that has voluptuous bass that doesn't muddy-up or congest the mids and highs. 

The S4s have a massive mid-bass hump to me. They also sound congested at volume and give vocals a nasal quality that is unnatural. Buts that's normal for a company that makes speakers that handle midrange and highs with horns rather than discrete drivers.

The S4s were my first in ears. I enjoyed them for a while until a much cheaper Sony pair produced better bottom and more natural mids. It's been a journey since then. It sounds like you're a bass head and require an IEM that over-emphasizes bass.

For you, based upon what your saying, I'd recommend the T-Peos H-300. Here's a recent review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/t-peos-h-300-3-way-hybrid/reviews/10840

Apr 18, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #3,816 of 4,690

The S4s are mid bass heavy. And in a rather congestive sort of way. Had them. Twice actually. First pair and a replacement for a lost pair. Decent IEM but not natural and with a very narrow soundstage.

To me bass should be more about extension with an IEM rather than slam. I'm looking for "can it produce the notes" rather than how much of it do I feel.

If it can get low without major rolloff at volume they will slam. Looking at it from the reverse will get you an energetic IEM but not necessarily one that is musical.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,817 of 4,690
The S4s have a massive mid-bass hump to me. They also sound congested at volume and give vocals a nasal quality that is unnatural. Buts that's normal for a company that makes speakers that handle midrange and highs with horns rather than discrete drivers.

The S4s were my first in ears. I enjoyed them for a while until a much cheaper Sony pair produced better bottom and more natural mids. It's been a journey since then. It sounds like you're a bass head and require an IEM that over-emphasizes bass.

For you, based upon what your saying, I'd recommend the T-Peos H-300. Here's a recent review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/t-peos-h-300-3-way-hybrid/reviews/10840

I would absolutely agree with you that i'm a basshead! I went to a DJ Tiesto live show a few years back and he played the track Chase & Status - Flashing Lights (Feat. Sub Focus & Takura). At 3:00 when that nasty filthy beat drops in my ribs were shaking and I loved that I could feel the music as much as hear it. 

Thanks for the reccomendation, I would love to give the T-PEOS H-300 a listen. 

Here is the thread for those Sony's:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/680119/sony-xba-h1-and-xba-h3-hybrid-dynamic-and-ba-iem

Right now the JVC HA-FX850 are hot among those that I referred to as "consultants" in the Discovery thread.  Please, read that post again.  We had discussed the subject previously in the Discovery thread seeing that they would not stop buying IEMs and headphones, spending a lot of money trying to get a lot of enjoyment from + or - $100 earphones.  Gradually, they have moved up to the $300 range and it is obvious that they do not regret the move to a higher spending zone.  Ha, ha.  The $100 zone is good.  The $300 is better.  Higher zones are even better, but by how much?  There is a curve of return in enjoyment per $1 spent.  If the $300 zone is not the sweet spot, it surely is close to it.

Very well said, and I would agree that it takes a well informed and (semi-responsible
etysmile.gif
) consumer to determine what is best regarding return/enjoyment, and recognizing the limitations of what is available on the market. 

I just wish I had a thick enough wallet to try them all! =) 

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #3,818 of 4,690
One more thing. Don't be fooled by specs. The T-Peos H-300 is universally being touted as a bass heavy IEM. Frequency Response is listed as 20hz~20khz. So thinking that seeing something less than 20hz means you will hear or feel more bass is a misnomer.

Apr 18, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #3,820 of 4,690
^^ THESE ^^ are why I bought the EPH-100.  This is why I thought my IEM's were fake. The signature and quality do not match the reviews. My ears aren't crazy I swear! 

It's not your ears that have me concerned. J/K
Enjoy your journey. :)

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #3,821 of 4,690
I never have any problems with the bass on my 100s and I'm a moderate bassheqd. I think you 85% have a fake pair. If you think it's worth the effort you may want to return your pair and try and find a genuine pair. You may just like them.

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #3,822 of 4,690
I never have any problems with the bass on my 100s and I'm a moderate bassheqd. I think you 85% have a fake pair. If you think it's worth the effort you may want to return your pair and try and find a genuine pair. You may just like them.

I'm with you; I've had my EPH-100 since 2012 and love the bass - not too overblown but satisfying. I believe that the new batch of EPH-100 (or fakes) are inferior to the old ones....

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #3,823 of 4,690
I found out, by using a shirt clip that I got with my old Hippo VB, that the stock tips are actually ok. IEMs don't slip out of my ears as easily as there is no pulling from the cable. (I'm wearing them straight down, I can't stand over-the-ear!) Although I still wish I could order these AUVIO tips from Europe... :/

I was recently in Japan and I was unable to find tips for the EPH-100. Heck, even the IEMs themselves weren't available anywhere! *sigh*

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #3,824 of 4,690

Quote:
  I'm with you; I've had my EPH-100 since 2012 and love the bass - not too overblown but satisfying. I believe that the new batch of EPH-100 (or fakes) are inferior to the old ones....

You guys are probably right. In fact i'm inquiring right now with the seller, who actually has been extremely customer service oriented and understanding. I will feel better knowing that I can buy a brand new pair in a sealed box from amazon and have 100% undoubted assurance my headphones are legitimate. The comparison photos posted by modulor On page 236, consistently showing resemblance of the fake pair. In addition, Gandasaputra on Page 237 posted a comparison of fake EPH-100 ear tips compared to the real ones, and mine undoubtedly mirror the fake tips (shiny, mushy and thin, without any structure). 

Maybe Yamaha let quality control slip, maybe the later versions are not as good, or maybe they are fraudulent knock offs. 

Having the eBay seller tell me that he got them "for a good price" from his headphone dealer is another red flag imho. 

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #3,825 of 4,690
Hey everyone

I have just recently purchased a pair of EPH-100 on eBay, and mine look identical to the ones on the images 118R3volution posted on Page 253. Very apparent grooves around the housing and light print on the Yamaha logo on the left earbud.

However, unlike you I don't have much previous experience regarding earphones. On the other hand, I have done some research and found out that these are being sold of AliExpress for as low as $39.99, and the Chinese equivalent of it ( http://www.1688.com ) for 125-150 Yuan, or $20-25 USD. The pictures they provide in the packaging look the same as the one I received, but they only provide them OEM, without the package.

Also, I didn't receive 5 pairs of tips in the package. I saw that the legitimate package comes with a little ziplock bag, but mine didn't and only had 4 pairs, one of them in the case.

My eBay seller is based in China and he refused to comment the authenticity of the product, but he said that he is fine with me returning the item for a full refund or even keeping the item for a partial refund, so that's good.

I am heavily inclined on returning these right now. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back