Yamaha EPH-100
Apr 16, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #3,796 of 4,690

Something else that you ought to know, is that if your previous IEMs have more bass than the new ones, then your brain/ears is going to find the newer pair lacking in bass quantity.  Your have to go through a period of brain adaptation to the amount of bass that your IEMs have.  The WOW factor disappears to a significant extent after you we get used to big bass earphones.  The disappointment bass factor disappears to a significant extent after we get used to earphones with less bass than we are used to.

Yeah I'm afraid your right. I listen to a lot of music that is bass dependant, such as Chillstep, lounge, some dubstep, hip hop and then a little bit of everything in between. I shouldn't be judging them until I get the new tips on them and at least 40 hours of play time. I really don't feel i'm getting a good enough seal.

I wonder if I should try the GR07 BE or some other headphone that has great bass. 

I really really want to try the XBA-40... but they are expensive and source dependant. I don't amp, just play from my iPhone and MacBook. I don't know how much I will like their warm, thick sound signature, but heard they have phenomenal bass and clarity. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #3,797 of 4,690

Yeah I'm afraid your right. I listen to a lot of music that is bass dependant, such as Chillstep, lounge, some dubstep, hip hop and then a little bit of everything in between. I shouldn't be judging them until I get the new tips on them and at least 40 hours of play time. I really don't feel i'm getting a good enough seal.

I wonder if I should try the GR07 BE or some other headphone that has great bass. 

I really really want to try the XBA-40... but they are expensive and source dependant. I don't amp, just play from my iPhone and MacBook. I don't know how much I will like their warm, thick sound signature, but heard they have phenomenal bass and clarity. 

I listen to the same. They are quite satisfying.

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #3,799 of 4,690

Something else that you ought to know, is that if your previous IEMs have more bass than the new ones, then your brain/ears is going to find the newer pair lacking in bass quantity.  Your have to go through a period of brain adaptation to the amount of bass that your IEMs have.  The WOW factor disappears to a significant extent after you we get used to big bass earphones.  The disappointment bass factor disappears to a significant extent after we get used to earphones with less bass than we are used to.

OK.  Not everybody has gotten a good fit with the EPH-100.  Also, if you know that no matter how they settle on you, you may remain doubtful about them being genuine, the most peaceful solution would be to return them.  The seller should cover the costs of returning them.  Having the YAMAHA logo improperly printed/carved on one of the earphones, is something that he should have warned you about before selling it.  That makes them defective, even if they are genuine.  And that is a legitimate reason for the seller to cover the return costs.

mikaveli06 has the EPH-100 and several other bass heavy earphones.  Dsnuts and ericp10 have tried a lot of IEMs, many of them being of the bass heavy kind.  Those guys are always buying earphones.  They never stop, even during hard times.  DannyBai is also on the top of the consultants list for this type of IEMs.  Mochill is up there, too.  They all meet frequently at the Discovery thread.  Ha, ha.

A word of wisdom:  The $250-$300 range is the sweet spot where satisfied ears, a hurt but not bitter wallet and the best enjoyment/investment ratio meet.  All those 3 attainable realities meet at that range.  If you have the money, go for something in that range after getting the advice of consultants.  Intetestingly, mikaveli06 told nekromantik that he likes the EPH-100 for EDM stuff, regardless of price when compared to others.

There you have it.

A word of truth:  May the grace of my Lord Jesus be with you.  This world got messed up.  What is common in this world, is not normal for our needs.  Jesus took the damage for us.  He is who the Bible says He is.  Besides a satisfying pair (or more) of IEMs for our ears, we all need the salvation from sin and death that will come onto those that give their lives to Jesus (ROMANS 10:8-10).

Apr 16, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #3,800 of 4,690

OK.  Not everybody has gotten a good fit with the EPH-100.  Also, if you know that no matter how they settle on you, you may remain doubtful about them being genuine, the most peaceful solution would be to return them.  The seller should cover the costs of returning them.  Having the YAMAHA logo improperly printed/carved on one of the earphones, is something that he should have warned you about before selling it.  That makes them defective, even if they are genuine.  And that is a legitimate reason for the seller to cover the return costs.

mikaveli06 has the EPH-100 and several other bass heavy earphones.  Dsnuts and ericp10 have tried a lot of IEMs, many of them being of the bass heavy kind.  Those guys are always buying earphones.  They never stop, even during hard times.  DannyBai is also on the top of the consultants list for this type of IEMs.  Mochill is up there, too.  They all meet frequently at the Discovery thread.  Ha, ha.

A word of wisdom:  The $250-$300 range is the sweet spot where satisfied ears, a hurt but not bitter wallet and the best enjoyment/investment ratio meet.  All those 3 attainable realities meet at that range.  If you have the money, go for something in that range after getting the advice of consultants.  Intetestingly, mikaveli06 told nekromantik that he likes the EPH-100 for EDM stuff, regardless of price when compared to others.

There you have it.

A word of truth:  May the grace of my Lord Jesus be with you.  This world got messed up.  What is common in this world, is not normal for our needs.  Jesus took the damage for us.  He is who the Bible says He is.  Besides a satisfying pair (or more) of IEMs for our ears, we all need the salvation from sin and death that will come onto those that give their lives to Jesus (ROMANS 10:8-10).

I should add that I have the ATH-IM70s as well, in addition to the JVC HA-FXT90.  I prefer the Yamahas over both of them.  The low bass extension is solid with little roll-off and the mid-bass does not color the midrange.  Treble extension is good with good energy and sparkle.  One thing is certain, many headphones and IEMs cannot reproduce Daft Punk's Doing It Right.  The lowest bass note will sound weak and recessed if the driver(s) is incapable of reproducing it with the same weight and energy of the other bass notes in that track.  It is a great demo track due to the impeccable recording and mastering.  A great track to reveal bass and sub-bass impact and integrity.  The EPHs pass this one with flying colors.

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #3,801 of 4,690
  I should add that I have the ATH-IM70s as well, in addition to the JVC HA-FXT90.  I prefer the Yamahas over both of them.  The low bass extension is solid with little roll-off and the mid-bass does not color the midrange.  Treble extension is good with good energy and sparkle.  One thing is certain, many headphones and IEMs cannot reproduce Daft Punk's Doing It Right.  The lowest bass note will sound weak and recessed if the driver(s) is incapable of reproducing it with the same weight and energy of the other bass notes in that track.  It is a great demo track due to the impeccable recording and mastering.  A great track to reveal bass and sub-bass impact and integrity.  The EPHs pass this one with flying colors.

agree. I still prefer my EPH-100 over FXT90 and ATH-IM70. It's the size, isolation, and comfort that the EPH-100 wins

Apr 16, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #3,802 of 4,690
Well i've got about 8 hours on them now and they are starting to sound a little better. whether its placebo effect, or I am becoming more conditioned to the sound, they far surpass the mid and treble of my Klipsch S4i. They sound very tight and clear with a noticeable sparkle on the higher treble notes. The bass is lacking punch and I specifically miss that slow, low rumble that gives music its volume and richness. 

I'm starting to feel these aren't fake, considering knock-offs probably wouldn't be reproducing better sound than the S4i. 

I don't have any previous history of issues with fit/comfort on previous IEM's, however these just are not doing it for me. They feel ridiculously squishy, flimsy and are doing a poor job of sitting comfortably in my ears. That said, I wore them at the gym and was able to jog with them but I much prefer the single flange tips that came on my S4i. Hopefully the AUVIO tips help. 

Check out the song Taro by Alt-J (album is An Awesome Wave). 

They sound really good with Alternative music imho. 

Apr 17, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #3,803 of 4,690
I am convinced that you are suffering from and angle insertion issue. I'd go up one size on the tips and go for a shallow fit. Use your off hand to pull your ear out and to the rear insert until you feel it close and let go. Each ear may be a slight bit different in terms of depth and angle. The bottom of these should be quite satisfactory to you considering your previous reference S4s.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #3,805 of 4,690
Yeah you shouldn't really be having problems with the bass on these it sounds like a fit issue.

Apr 17, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #3,806 of 4,690
cool.gif

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #3,808 of 4,690
I am convinced that you are suffering from and angle insertion issue. I'd go up one size on the tips and go for a shallow fit. Use your off hand to pull your ear out and to the rear insert until you feel it close and let go. Each ear may be a slight bit different in terms of depth and angle. The bottom of these should be quite satisfactory to you considering your previous reference S4s.

Thanks for the advice. I've been wearing the large tips for a few hours and it just feels bulkier in my ears. The left ear seals.. OK, however the right is troublesome with both M and L tips. It feels like its seals like 90-95% compared to the left side regardless angle I insert or how far in I push them. 

These look excellent, the AUVIO buds can't come soon enough. Unfortunately they wont be here until late next week or early may. "The bottom of these should be quite satisfactory to you considering your previous reference S4s.". Even now if I A/B them on a track, the S4i has noticeably more punch/kick and sub bass rumble. Its as if the the EPH-100 are trying, but only successful at reproducing the "sound" of bass, where as the S4i are actually producing the bass you can hear and feel. It's pretty sad to be honest. How many hours of burn in would you suggest to reach a plateau in sound improvement from the EPH-100? I actually don't really enjoy listening to them at this point. The forward mids are quite great, and credit is due in regards to the clarity, but other than that I don't have many nice things to say about them. 

Its still up in the air imho as to whether I ended up with a fake. 

I even took some single flange tips from an old pair if Nixon IEM (which actually fit, but slide unfortunately) and even with a good seal they aren't producing any bass that matches, let alone surpasses the S4i. 

Yeah you shouldn't really be having problems with the bass on these it sounds like a fit issue.

There were a few signs that were leading me to believe they were a fake pair of EPH-100 because of the terribly faded Yamaha logo on the back of the case and the ridiculously flimsy and soft ear tips. 

I've got about 30+ hours on them now, and continuing to burn. 

Apr 18, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #3,809 of 4,690

....These look excellent, the AUVIO buds can't come soon enough. Unfortunately they wont be here until late next week or early may. "The bottom of these should be quite satisfactory to you considering your previous reference S4s.". Even now if I A/B them on a track, the S4i has noticeably more punch/kick and sub bass rumble. Its as if the the EPH-100 are trying, but only successful at reproducing the "sound" of bass, where as the S4i are actually producing the bass you can hear and feel. It's pretty sad to be honest. How many hours of burn in would you suggest to reach a plateau in sound improvement from the EPH-100? I actually don't really enjoy listening to them at this point. The forward mids are quite great, and credit is due in regards to the clarity, but other than that I don't have many nice things to say about them. 

Its still up in the air imho as to whether I ended up with a fake. 

I even took some single flange tips from an old pair if Nixon IEM (which actually fit, but slide unfortunately) and even with a good seal they aren't producing any bass that matches, let alone surpasses the S4i. 

There were a few signs that were leading me to believe they were a fake pair of EPH-100 because of the terribly faded Yamaha logo on the back of the case and the ridiculously flimsy and soft ear tips. 

I've got about 30+ hours on them now, and continuing to burn. 

Burn in tightens up the bass frequencies making the mids and highs less bassy and therefore more clear or clearer.  Burn in WILL NOT make the bass reach levels where it wasn't on first listen.  Deep and mid bass hits will be heard/felt better and nicer to your ears because of the bass tightening up.  But, they will not get bigger.  In financial terms, gross bass turns into net/refined bass with burn in.  But, it will not turn into a net bass that is larger than the gross bass it came from.  Once you get a good seal with these, the bass quantity and range that you experience, will be the most quantity and biggest range that they will ever have.  Quality does get better with use and it takes about 500 hours of working time or longer for the bass refinement to become marginal or just stop.

Apr 18, 2014 at 11:04 AM Post #3,810 of 4,690

Burn in tightens up the bass frequencies making the mids and highs less bassy and therefore more clear or clearer.  Burn in WILL NOT make the bass reach levels where it wasn't on first listen.  Deep and mid bass hits will be heard/felt better and nicer to your ears because of the bass tightening up.  But, they will not get bigger.  In financial terms, gross bass turns into net/refined bass with burn in.  But, it will not turn into a net bass that is larger than the gross bass it came from.  Once you get a good seal with these, the bass quantity and range that you experience, will be the most quantity and biggest range that they will ever have.  Quality does get better with use and it takes about 500 hours of working time or longer for the bass refinement to become marginal or just stop.

Awesome, thanks for explaining that in a little further detail Alberto =)

To be honest, now that I have tried them with single flange tips, I am leaning towards just sending them back. With a bit over 30 hours through them, in addition to my suspicions of them being fake and not producing nearly as much sub bass as my S4i, I would be better off keeping my S4i for a little while longer and continue shopping for a different IEM. And as you suggested, I might need to spend a bit more to find something that has voluptuous bass that doesn't muddy-up or congest the mids and highs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back