Yamaha EPH-100
Apr 28, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #3,856 of 4,690
Thanks to the members on this thread I recently gave IEMs another try, 6 years after being disappointed by the Etymotic ER-6. This time I got it right with the EPH-100.

I didn't hate the ER-6, but I never loved them either. A thin analytical sounding midrange quality was probably the biggest culprit. A close 2nd was the near total lack of bass, even when achieving a very good seal with either the foam or flanged tips. I gave them many chances, but their only real redeeming quality was good passive noise isolation on an airplane. 

Fast forward to 2014 and I decided to give IEMs another go. This time I am thrilled with the very even tonal balance and musical sound of the Yamaha EPH-100.

Not the last word in detail retrieval, or high frequency air/extension, but I wasn't looking for that. I just wanted something that was even handed and easy to listen to, with bass, and I found it in the EPH-100 without getting into the rarefied air price points IEMs can occupy these days.

Maybe not the very most comfortable to wear for long periods, I'm using the included super small tips, I think I'll probably end up buying some foam tips for these.

It looks like I got the real McCoy through Amazon. Sealed retail packaging and the logo and L/R markings are engraved, though not deeply, but you can feel the recess with your finger nail. I bet it's laser etched as opposed to actually engraved by machining.

Thanks again to the members for promoting this model, I feel like it has managed to stay fairly well under the mainstream radar over time even though it's a great value.

Apr 29, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #3,857 of 4,690
Heh, yep the ER6i is long separated from the IEMs of today 
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:26 AM Post #3,858 of 4,690
How does the EPH-100 compare with the JVC FXT-90? I lost my FXT-90s and am on the hunt for a new pair of IEMs. Mostly listening to symphonies and instrumentals with an occasional mix of rock. Would prefer a well-rounded pair of IEMs.

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3,860 of 4,690
How does the EPH-100 compare with the JVC FXT-90? I lost my FXT-90s and am on the hunt for a new pair of IEMs. Mostly listening to symphonies and instrumentals with an occasional mix of rock. Would prefer a well-rounded pair of IEMs.

Had the JVCs. I really didn't care for them. Huge mid-bass hump that intruded on the midrange. The sound was thick, congested and narrow. The EPHs smoked them right out of the package.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #3,862 of 4,690
  What about in comparison to the Hifiman RE-400s?

I have never heard the RE-400s.  I have read a tremendous amount about them. Comparatively there are considered by many to be flatter than the EPH-100s, with a more mid-forward approach.  Great all-arounder for someone who has very broad musical tastes. Not truly satisfying if you are into the whole Chill, EDM and Trap scene.

Apr 30, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #3,863 of 4,690
I that true this iem sound like ke mh1c?

Im not much like my mh1c because it sound like coming form my head.. I tjink i need better soundstage.. Also i need more isolation.. Did this iem a recommendation 4 me or not?

Thx

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #3,864 of 4,690
If that's true this IEM sounds like the mh1c?

I'm don't much like my mh1c because it sound like coming form my head.. I think i need better soundstage.. Also i need more isolation.. Did this IEM a recommendation 4 me or not?

Thx

The EPH-100 has a broad soundstage for an IEM.  They are very musical.  My Son, who is a an over-ear headphones guy, was surprised by the lack of of an in-your-head presentation by these IEMs.  The Sony's are from a different price bracket and present differently. The Yamaha EPH-100's isolation is superb.

Apr 30, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #3,865 of 4,690
Today is the first day that I  used the eph-100 for a long period, after I  cleaned the wax that was deep inside (behind the metal mesh etc).
During the 4 hour travel, I  was very happy with the clarity of the eph-100 (what a great value I  was thinking, why people bother with high end stuff ?) , and I  didn't hear a word of the people endlessly discussing near me.
Unfortunately at the end of travel (a bit more than 4 hour), one side became muted . I  don't know if  it's worth  to clean the inside again, but I'll probably  do it before each travel.

Apr 30, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #3,866 of 4,690
I've bought 2 pairs of EPH 100. The first on 2011 and the 2nd somewhere on 2012. Both from Yamaha online store. The first one sounded great right out of the box, but had an accident with a door that damaged the cable. Then bought the 2nd one and for my surprise, the cord was thinner than the previous ones. even on the L-R it was thinner than the old one
Like a 20 awg vs 22 awg (on the exterior of course. Probably the strands measured the same) Also the newer ones sounded very different after out of the box the sound  was all mid-range  with very tamed low/highs but it got corrected after a few days. 
The question is: Are there any previous cases of this earphones with different cable width? And that some need burn in while some don't?

May 1, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #3,867 of 4,690
  I have never heard the RE-400s.  I have read a tremendous amount about them. Comparatively there are considered by many to be flatter than the EPH-100s, with a more mid-forward approach.  Great all-arounder for someone who has very broad musical tastes. Not truly satisfying if you are into the whole Chill, EDM and Trap scene.

Are the EPH-100s great for music like classical, acoustic, piano, symphonies etc.? Heard that they are good for other genres but not so sure about these..

May 1, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #3,870 of 4,690
Do you think the RE-400s would be more suitable over the EPH-100s for the music I listen to? Mostly classical, piano, acoustic, symphonies, vocals, and some occasional rock splashed in there?

That would be a fair statement. Of course if your classical contains Car Orff, Berlioz and Handel you may find the tympanis needing some more presence. Especially with Telarc and other minimalist mic recordings that capture the ambience of the venue.

At the price and sound-point the RE-400 may be right up your alley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back