Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #526 of 4,690

Quote:
While isolation/comfort/fit may be subject to personal preference, I think the EX600 is much better built not mentioning the replaceable cable.

Sorry to disagree, but given the slim profile of the EPH-100 and the large choice for tip sizes, it's not up to personal preference here : EX600/EX1000 provide extremely variable fit (being so rigid due to the ear guides system) and sh***y isolation, this is a fact. No one here had any issue shoving the Yams deep into their ears and I explained why in detail.

And again, I'm still waiting for you, since you keep coming and throwing bombs without the beginning of an explanation, to explain to us what bothers you in the build quality of the Yamahas, beside the cable not being completely tangle-free and not detachable...
Last time I checked, EX600 were not perfect either, and pricewise, they're more expensive (at least in Europe) than the EPH-100.

I tried to be patient and keep my statements balanced (yes, EPH-100 are not perfect), but negative comments (as well as positive) should be at least minimally documented.
triportsad.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #527 of 4,690

Quote:
Sorry to disagree, but given the slim profile of the EPH-100 and the large choice for tip sizes, it's not up to personal preference here : EX600/EX1000 provide extremely variable fit (being so rigid due to the ear guides system) and sh***y isolation, this is a fact. No one here had any issue shoving the Yams deep into their ears and I explained why in detail.

And again, I'm still waiting for you, since you keep coming and throwing bombs without the beginning of an explanation, to explain to us what bothers you in the build quality of the Yamahas, beside the cable not being completely tangle-free and not detachable...
Last time I checked, EX600 were not perfect either, and pricewise, they're more expensive (at least in Europe) than the EPH-100.

I tried to be patient and keep my statements balanced (yes, EPH-100 are not perfect), but negative comments (as well as positive) should be at least minimally documented.
triportsad.gif

Help please. Can some audiophiles let me know what the proper terms to describe the build quality? I can only tell what I FEEL given that I also have the EX600 and IE80 to compare. I can't tell you how durable that cable may be. Again I FEEL both the cable and the metal are not high quality. I already start seeing some dents on metal which of course could be due to lack of care from my son's use.

Again, take what I say with a grain of salt and stop throwing bombs at opposite opinions - even though I don't give a damn about them.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM Post #530 of 4,690
Quote:

Thanks James - I value your opinion.

As you find the IE8 to be slightly better for your taste of music, it makes me think they are possibly not far apart in overall sound quality. Maybe EPH100's strength lies with EDM & IE8 for classical and thus suiting people with different tastes of music - sound signature. Would you agree ?

If the EPH100 was priced equally with IE8 would you still hold it in the same regard ?

Yes, I can easily envision someone prefering the Yamahas to the Senns for EDM, since their 6mm drivers are most likely faster. Plus, I still remember shigzeo complaining about some kind of "plastic echo" on the IE8 with his beloved trance music, so maybe the Senns are not the best for that. Like I already said, I'd rate these two roughly on par from a flat source, regardless of how they're priced. I try to avoid factoring price into my sound quality ratings, cause that's what value ratings are for. Obviously the EPH-100 win the latter by a long shot and that alone is a great achievement, so there's no need to suggest that they blow something like the IE8 out of the water.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM Post #531 of 4,690

Quote:
I still have them, but no opportunity to A/B atm and my EPH-100 are going to dfkt tomorrow. But I've been listening to both the Yamahas and Senns quite frequently during the last weeks and I prefer the IE8's out-of-head soundstaging. I also think the latter have better dynamics and depth with large orchestra. I just can't stand the IE8's midbass hump and the veil it throws over the mids, that's why I always use EQ or pair them with the bright Icon Mobile amp. That's the Senn's only severe weakness in my book. The EPH-100 have no such glaring weaknesses from a flat source, their bass peaks lower and is slightly better controlled, so I'd probably prefer them if I only had a flat source. But given the fact that I have ways to deal with the IE8's bass hump, they're ultimately the (slightly) better phones for my taste.

See above. Not far below my EQed IE8 and about on par with them from a flat source.

Strictly judging by sound quality, I agree that the EX600 are a better buy. But if you look at the whole package, isolation, fit, comfort, etc., this may easily tip the scale towards the Yamahas.

Be able to see here, some sort of comparison with the I8, and having to argue well, where I8 is better than the EPH, even if it falls behind, it's good enough for me to know I made a good buy.....Given the huge price difference.

Quote:
While isolation/comfort/fit may be subject to personal preference, I think the EX600 is much better built not mentioning the replaceable cable.

Indeed could be a personal choice, but if there was 2 types of EX600, with an equal SQ ..... one costing 200€ (best construction and cable) and other (less construction) at 100 €, would you buy the EX600 200€ just for the cable and a little best construction (equal SQ)?

I'm not saying that EPH is better or not, only that  aspect is not a big deal, in the end what counts is the SQ.

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by eke2k6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I find the Yamaha's imaging as a whole to be greater than the sum of it's parts. It's soundstage is not exceptionally wide nor deep, and it's instrument separation, while amazing, is not the absolute. What I find is that it marries these two aspects like no other iem I've heard. I'm actually in the process of rediscovering a good bit of my music collection that I've been trained to hear in the stage monitor-like presentation of the GR07. The EPH-100 gives each instrument it's own space and suspends it in a blanket of air, while still blending them together enough to be very musical.
As far as classical music goes, I think the only "flaw" that the Yamaha has is its interesting treble that may slightly skew the timbre of the instruments in the higher registers. However, I find it fantastic for opera.

I do not know if you are an expert or not, but knowing how much you love the GR07, just to see you satisfied with the EPH gives me some comfort, in what i will find in EPH.

Quote:

Thanks James - I value your opinion.

If the EPH100 was priced equally with IE8 would you still hold it in the same regard ?

Given the huge price difference, not worth it or want to insist that they are on the same level, being able to do some comparison, it is too good ..... will always be something less good in any IEM, not least the price .

Basically you save yourself a lot of money to buy more 1-2 IEM's for fun....Or even just a wonderfully devoted to symphonies.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #533 of 4,690

Quote:

Indeed could be a personal choice, but if there was 2 types of EX600, with an equal SQ ..... one costing 200€ (best construction and cable) and other (less construction) at 100 €, would you buy the EX600 200€ just for the cable and a little best construction (equal SQ)?

I'm not saying that EPH is better or not, only that this aspect not a big deal, in the end what counts is the SQ.

In the States you can get either EPH100 or EX600 brand new now for almost the same price at USD 120. That's what I am talking about if you spend the same money.

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #534 of 4,690
Quote:
Help please. Can some audiophiles let me know what the proper terms to describe the build quality? I can only tell what I FEEL given that I also have the EX600 and IE80 to compare. I can't tell you how durable that cable may be. Again I FEEL both the cable and the metal are not high quality. I already start seeing some dents on metal which of course could be due to lack of care from my son's use.

Hmmm, I think the Yamaha's build quality is actually pretty good. Cords are a bit springy, but I've seen worse on much more expensive phones. There are proper strain reliefs and a chin slider that actually works, unlike my IE8's. So here I am, defending the EPH-100, lol.
wink.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #535 of 4,690

Quote:
Yes, I can easily envision someone prefering the Yamahas to the Senns for EDM, since their 6mm drivers are most likely faster. Plus, I still remember shigzeo complaining about some kind of "plastic echo" on the IE8 with his beloved trance music, so maybe the Senns are not the best for that. Like I already said, I'd rate these two roughly on par from a flat source, regardless of how they're priced. I try to avoid factoring price into my sound quality ratings, cause that's what value ratings are for. Obviously the EPH-100 win the latter by a long shot and that alone is a great achievement, so there's no need to suggest that they blow something like the IE8 out of the water.

No I don't think that at all.  Both have there strengths & weaknesses. For instance EPH will never be able to do Clasical in the same way as IE8 & IE8 will never be able to do Trance like EPH100. They suite people with different music tastes & don't see them as direct rivals.

The point I wanted to bring through with your help was that the EPH-100 are potentially worth lot more than they are priced at just by the fact they can stand shoulder to shoulder with likes of  IE8 (IE80).

beerchug.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #536 of 4,690

Quote:

In the States you can get either EPH100 or EX600 brand new now for almost the same price at USD 120. That's what I am talking about if you spend the same money.

Ok, but i'm not in US (customs - same price in EU),.....Here,  EX600 203€ VS EPH 96€....And that's what we have to live.

And even more unfair, is in US, if SM3 was sold only by exchange of euros (€ 365), you would pay 478 $ + Shipping..... is a big injustice that Earsonic making us,  giving to US a discount that doesnt on their land.
mad.gif

Nothing against US, only against the attitude of Earsonics.

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #537 of 4,690

Quote:
Strange, I ordered from audio affair on tuesday but they still haven´t shipped the EPH-100.

Any idea how they take? I used visa as the payment method.

Same here, i ask yesterday whats the problem, and here is the reason;

They will ship next week.

Quote:
[size=x-small]Good Afternoon,[/size]

[size=x-small]Please accept our apologies for the delay. [/size] [size=x-small][size=10pt]We had temporarily run out of stock of the item prior to your order being placed.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=small] [/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt]Although we have ordered more stock and can usually have our stock replenished within 24 hours, this particular product was temporarily out of stock with the manufacturer.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt]Whilst our order is still in place with the manufacturer, we understand that this may be causing you an inconvenience and we appreciate your patience in this matter.[/size][/size]
[size=x-small][size=10pt]The delivery is due to us Thursday 2nd February. Please be assured that as soon as the goods have been received and checked, we will arrange delivery to you.[/size][/size]

Customer Services Advisor

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:32 PM Post #540 of 4,690

Quote:

Looks like good news for you guys.  Audio Affair have them back in stock

There has always been described as in stock, even when I asked and they answered.

They should have kept always "in stock" described, because they expected to receive today EPH's  (as they said in email), didnt justify change that, scaring off customers for 1-2 day delay in shipment.

not big deal, 2-3 of delay. 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back