Yamaha EPH-100
Feb 2, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #541 of 4,690

Quote:

For instance EPH will never be able to do Clasical in the same way as IE8 & IE8 will never be able to do Trance like EPH100. They suite people with different music tastes & don't see them as direct rivals.

Thats absolutely true. And add METAL to that (even the UM3X can't do Metal as the EPH-100 due to separation. Don't take me wrong, they do it well, they have EXCELENT separation, I've just noticed them congesting in a few songs compared to the EPH). In contrast, UM3X treble is much better. So, all of these universal IEMs have their strenghts and weaknesses. Compared to the IE8 (from memory), these are quite 2D, have limited instrument separation, too much mid-bass hump, have less clarity and can't resolve Metal as well as the EPH. In contrast treble can be better for some tastes as well as soundstage. Yes, I'm always complaining about Yamaha's treble. It's the only downside for me, or they would be absolutely fantastic for pretty much every genre. I would recommend the EPH inconditionally if it was not this treble. But I'm too sensitive to that and am accostumed to the almost ultra-realistic SM3 and UM3X treble. I think that what the triple BA's do better than single driver dynamics is treble (and instrument separation - being EPH-100 an exception).

Feb 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM Post #542 of 4,690

I'm back to listening to Dire Straits collection after a long while.

Its so good that i'm not curious to want more. Classic Rock is amazing.

My love for Dire Straits has been relit. Guitars & drums are incredible just as is Mark Knopfler's voice.

Dire straits - Dire straits (1978) is an incredible listen if you want to check out Classic Rock at its best with EPH-100.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #544 of 4,690
Again and definitely. End of burn-in for me at about 175 hours. The drop has to do with treble. But they give me more fun than the UM3X in some genres, so I'll keep both and rate them equally.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #545 of 4,690

Quote:
Again and definitely. End of burn-in for me at about 175 hours. The drop has to do with treble. But they give me more fun than the UM3X in some genres, so I'll keep both.

The treble is really something. I love the way cymbals sound on the GR07, and these just don't quite do it for me. Which is a darn shame because I really like everything else about it.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:07 PM Post #547 of 4,690
Did I complain about the treble in my first post? You don't need to be an audiophile to hear and draw that conclusion.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #548 of 4,690

As we have all long figured out there is no Holy Grail IEM.

Search will never yield what you ultimately desire partially because as humans are wants are always changing.

I believe for all tiers of IEM you can find at least one issue in either technical proficiency or sound signature.

For me, the EPH100 renders all the main genre of music that I love very well & as an added bonus its a bargain. Although i would have paid more for it.

Luckily i'm not an over analytical guy. I prefer just to like the IEM that makes me tap my foot & smile irrelevant of realism captured or not.

Its the escape i'm after when i'm plugged in.

Miow now that you have somehow managed to place UM3X & EPH100 on equal scales of your liking...

If you could only take one with you to an island that you would be stuck at for a looooong time, which one would it be ?

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:33 PM Post #549 of 4,690

Quote:

As we have all long figured out there is no Holy Grail IEM.

Search will never yield what you ultimately desire partially because as humans are wants are always changing.

I believe for all tiers of IEM you can find at least one issue in either technical proficiency or sound signature.

For me, the EPH100 renders all the main genre of music that I love very well & as an added bonus its a bargain. Although i would have paid more for it.

Luckily i'm not an over analytical guy. I prefer just to like the IEM that makes me tap my foot & smile irrelevant of realism captured or not.

Its the escape i'm after when i'm plugged in.

Miow now that you have somehow managed to place UM3X & EPH100 on equal scales of your liking...

If you could only take one with you to an island that you would be stuck at for a looooong time, which one would it be ?

You are the lucky guy who deserves to be congratulated for finding and enjoying the IEM's at a very reasonable price. Still friend?

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #550 of 4,690

Quote:
..... I would recommend the EPH inconditionally if it was not this treble. But I'm too sensitive to that and am accostumed to the almost ultra-realistic SM3 and UM3X treble. I think that what the triple BA's do better than single driver dynamics is treble (and instrument separation - being EPH-100 an exception).

I just dont understand,  if you like both the Treble of the ultra-realistic SM3, why you not stay on SM3, if you already know beforehand, it will be very hard to find  equal treble, in price range below.

This chart has envisioned a more neutral treble....Fortunately for the use i make, (during my work), not like a very sharp treble, i think EPH will fit very well to me, bacause of neutral Treble.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM Post #551 of 4,690

Quote:
I just don't understand,  if you like both the Treble of the ultra-realistic SM3, why you not stay on SM3, if you already know beforehand, it will be very hard to find  equal treble, in price range below.

This chart has envisioned a more neutral treble.

That's what it is my friend -  Neutral

Its all about sound signature taste. For me its perfect than their are other who are treble fiends & they can never have enough.

In case of Meow he is after what he was accustomed to from his previous IEM's but to him they don't do much else better than EPH100.

That's the dilemma for all people who are into multi genre of music. Its like falling in love with a Rolls Royce car but than wanting to go off road with it.

I say we all need to make best compromise & settle on one or else just keep more to cover all genres of preference. Doesn't make this IEM worse than any other in that respect.

If you are lucky like LostID who I believe mainly just likes Classical than its an easy decision.

Feb 2, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #552 of 4,690
I had the W3. The difference between a single BA and a triple was, IMO, nothing super special. The soundstage is not as spacious as some reviews would have you believe; rather it's more "3D" in a way, less spacious but almost like the instrument sounds themselves are more "3D." But not because of note thickness like you get with drums and bass guitars and sax and vocals on a dynamic...it's hard to describe; personally it sounded kind of like a cheap trick to me; it doesn't sound anything like the fake echo-y "3D" effects you can use in some MP3 players and whatnot, but I think of the effect as being in the same category; it just feels like a trick rather than actually improving something about the sound quality, resolution, actual space presentation, etc. I guess you could say its more realistic in a sense, and I think from a technical perspective it IS more realistic, but to my ears it doesn't SOUND realistic; it doesn't SOUND like a live band or anything because the bottom line is that the sound from BA drivers will always be thin compared to dynamics, no matter how close they get. The Klipsch X10 is very warm and sweet and has pretty thick notes, and good subbass and lush mids to boot, but even with all that it still sounds like loud sound coming from a really tiny but high quality speaker. Bottom line: size matters in headphones, for the same reason that IEMs will never be able to reproduce some qualities of full-sized cans. BA drivers are just another step in that direction, I guess. I can see how something like the UM Miracle with 6 drivers (not from personal experience, just speculating) might begin to approach that kind of fuller sound of a dynamic, but 3 drivers doesn't come close. BA drivers make me think of the inside of a hospital, even when they have good bass and mids; dynamics make me think of being in a concert :etysmile: For example I don't think a subbass rumble in dubstep or the crunch of a guitar will ever FEEL as satisfying and real on a BA as it does as a dynamic. The actual sound INFORMATION may be more, uhh, precise in a way, but...meh.

Personally I want to see more IEMs with micro dynamic drivers, like the SE215. If they took that driver and added another one for the high end, and tuned them accordingly...*drool*

Quote:
Now I want to try triple driver BAs
confused.gif

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #553 of 4,690

Quote:

That's what it is my friend -  Neutral

Its all about sound signature taste. For me its perfect than their are other who are treble fiends & they can never have enough.

In case of Meow he is after what he was accustomed to from his previous IEM's but they don't do much else better than EPH100 to him.

That's the dilemma for all people who are into multi genre of music. Its like falling in love with a Rolls Royce car but than wanting to go off road with it.

I say we all need to make best compromise & settle on one or else just keep more to cover all genres of preference. Doesn't make this IEM worse than any other in that respect.

If you are lucky like LostID who I believe mainly just likes Classical than its an easy decision.

That's not true. I also like this non classical:

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #554 of 4,690
Indeed, your explanation is why I have always gone dynamic, what do you think of the moving armature sound?

Quote:
I had the W3. The difference between a single BA and a triple was, IMO, nothing super special. The soundstage is not as spacious as some reviews would have you believe; rather it's more "3D" in a way, less spacious but almost like the instrument sounds themselves are more "3D." But not because of note thickness like you get with drums and bass guitars and sax and vocals on a dynamic...it's hard to describe; personally it sounded kind of like a cheap trick to me; it doesn't sound anything like the fake echo-y "3D" effects you can use in some MP3 players and whatnot, but I think of the effect as being in the same category; it just feels like a trick rather than actually improving something about the sound quality, resolution, actual space presentation, etc. I guess you could say its more realistic in a sense, and I think from a technical perspective it IS more realistic, but to my ears it doesn't SOUND realistic; it doesn't SOUND like a live band or anything because the bottom line is that the sound from BA drivers will always be thin compared to dynamics, no matter how close they get. The Klipsch X10 is very warm and sweet and has pretty thick notes, and good subbass and lush mids to boot, but even with all that it still sounds like loud sound coming from a really tiny but high quality speaker. Bottom line: size matters in headphones, for the same reason that IEMs will never be able to reproduce some qualities of full-sized cans. BA drivers are just another step in that direction, I guess. I can see how something like the UM Miracle with 6 drivers (not from personal experience, just speculating) might begin to approach that kind of fuller sound of a dynamic, but 3 drivers doesn't come close. BA drivers make me think of the inside of a hospital, even when they have good bass and mids; dynamics make me think of being in a concert :etysmile: For example I don't think a subbass rumble in dubstep or the crunch of a guitar will ever FEEL as satisfying and real on a BA as it does as a dynamic. The actual sound INFORMATION may be more, uhh, precise in a way, but...meh.

Personally I want to see more IEMs with micro dynamic drivers, like the SE215. If they took that driver and added another one for the high end, and tuned them accordingly...*drool*

Feb 2, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #555 of 4,690

Quote:
I just dont understand,  if you like both the Treble of the ultra-realistic SM3, why you not stay on SM3, if you already know beforehand, it will be very hard to find  equal treble, in price range below.

I haven't probably explained myself correctly. Sorry about my portuguese. Very hard to keep these conversations at a level I would like to. I love the SM3 treble as much as I love the UM3X treble. It's so refined and realistic. So, if I have the UM3X and don't like the SM3 as much (its way too dark for my taste), why get another SM3?
regular_smile%20.gif
Just sold them recently (my second pair) after a last experiment (A/B) with the UM3X. For me the UM3X wins, but this is total personal preference, as it has to do with sound sig mostly. Technically they are on pair.

Now, concerning the EPH-100. I listen alot to Electronic music and Hip-Hop (my tastes are almost unlimited, I like pretty much every genre - except Dance and Classical) and for this genres the EPH-100 alucinates me with that bass/sub-bass. They give me ALOT more fun than the UM3X. And at the same time they are capable of rendering the same layers of instruments and reproduce forward, lush and sweet mids with an exceptional timbre and detail, which is the most important for me. So, UM3X for jazz (not all, I prefer the EPH-100 for Mezzoforte - Live in Reykjavik) and EPH-100 for pretty much everythig else. Maybe some Pop with the UM3X, but not all. 

Quote:

Thats a hard question.
confused_face.gif
Well, I think I would have to think about FUN (real fun) and treble accuracy/realism. I think I would take the EPH-100s as they give me more fun on much more genres than the UM3X.

Quote:

That would be my next IEM for fun and treble accuracy (best of both worlds - who knows). In other words, a IEM with the characteristics of the EPH-100, but with the treble of the UM3X/SM3
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back