Xmas/Holiday Gift Exchange
Oct 14, 2001 at 5:26 AM Post #31 of 91
Quote:

so you pull something that "jibes"with that musical taste but more obscure,or better yet,a different genre entirely as an introduction to a new thing.

Rick, my thoughts exactly.

Oct 14, 2001 at 6:32 AM Post #32 of 91
Ohhhh, WONDERFUL idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, here's a stupid thought: You are still allowed to LEND your stuff for other ppl to hear, right? I mean, that's the general idea anyway. What if we agree to ship the copied cd back or (better yet) discard it once we've had a listen. Now, publicly, that would mean it's all on the up and up. Should someone decide to keep the cd instead of discarding it, well, that's a personal decision by that one person to break the copywrite law and it is not the fault of jude or anyone else at Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

We, of course, would have to put up some statement of intent to discard the cds once we've had a listen and have everyone sign it
smily_headphones1.gif
How does that sound? :p

(I DESPARATELY want some of you to listen to Weezer and Ben Folds, especially you older members
wink.gif
)

Oct 14, 2001 at 6:37 AM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by beavisclone
Ohhhh, WONDERFUL idea
smily_headphones1.gif

Ok, here's a stupid thought: You are still allowed to LEND your stuff for other ppl to hear, right? I mean, that's the general idea anyway. What if we agree to ship the copied cd back or (better yet) discard it once we've had a listen. Now, publicly, that would mean it's all on the up and up. Should someone decide to keep the cd instead of discarding it, well, that's a personal decision by that one person to break the copywrite law and it is not the fault of jude or anyone else at Head-Fi
smily_headphones1.gif

We, of course, would have to put up some statement of intent to discard the cds once we've had a listen and have everyone sign it
smily_headphones1.gif
How does that sound? :p

(I DESPARATELY want some of you to listen to Weezer and Ben Folds, especially you older members
wink.gif
)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel like that's probably straddling trouble. I really don't want there to be even a remote suggestion that Head-Fi is being used in any way for copyright infringing activities. I hope you understand my concern. I'd rather not receive any RIAA letters, if you know what I mean.

Oct 14, 2001 at 7:01 AM Post #34 of 91
Count me in, whatever format is decided, as long as I don't have to try and list what I already have
tongue.gif

I'd love to make a mix of some really obscure 60's bands, but I can hear the RIAA now...

IMHO a single new CD exchange is probably the most feasible, given current copyright law. Would still be fun.

Oct 14, 2001 at 10:26 AM Post #35 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Count me in, whatever format is decided, as long as I don't have to try and list what I already have
tongue.gif

I'd love to make a mix of some really obscure 60's bands, but I can hear the RIAA now...

IMHO a single new CD exchange is probably the most feasible, given current copyright law. Would still be fun.

That sounds like the way to go. And it sure would make the music police happy. So, how do we know who's going to get our present? Are we going to use some software program to randomize all that or are we going to choose the recipient ourselves?

Oct 14, 2001 at 2:41 PM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Onix said...

So, how do we know who's going to get our present? Are we going to use some software program to randomize all that or are we going to choose the recipient ourselves?

That depends. If, say, less than 50 people want to do it, just starting up a thread w/ all the participant's names, and then having people pick would probably work just fine. More than 50, and it'd probably be easier to write a program to do it. So maybe jude should post an announcement about this, and have everbody who wants to participate e-mail him or something. Have a cut-off date as well, so we can get a definite list.

Oct 14, 2001 at 4:35 PM Post #37 of 91
Okay, RIAA issue- "I am making this cd and sending it to a friend so it will be there for me to listen to, when I go to visit. My friend has promised not to listen to it. " (think they will believe it?) We should be okay here. The RIAA usually only gets upset about commercial use of the copies, or loss of revenue issues.

Selection process- Somebody(who started this thread) puts all the names in a hat and draws them for us. Posts results in a new thread. The selected parties exchange e-mails regarding address and format etc.

The RIAA will get my bootleg tapes, when they pry them from my cold dead fingers. Whazat, sombody's at the door,I"ll be right back......

Oct 14, 2001 at 4:55 PM Post #38 of 91
You know guys, I don't know how legal any of this is, I don't believe it is. But, it was a nice idea too begin with, but as you have seen it has already gotten to complicated. Besides, not everyone on these boards celebrate Christmas. So they will be left out.
frown.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 5:22 PM Post #39 of 91
First issue:

I'd be happy to do the picking and choosing of names. Email me at bradfordcheng@yahoo.com with the subject header "Head-fi Holiday Exchange" and an affirmative message like: "Count me in", "I want to join", etc. Plus some other info, which I'll explain about next. I'll give everyone until October 30 to decide - that still leaves up two months until the holiday. Then - in this forum - I'll post a listing of the pairs of people I've picked at random. I'll also forward you the email address of the person you're paired with, so you can contact each other in private to exchange addresses.

Second issue:

Would it be beneficial if we broke down into topics the kind of music we'd like to receive. A genre we're interested in hearing but don't have a lot of - something that comprises a hole in our collection. That might help eliminate getting something we already have (I think it would be really hard to list our collections). Suppose we had topics like:

I'D LIKE TO RECEIVE MUSIC IN THE GENRE OF:

A. Jazz Vocal
B. Jazz Instrumental
C. Historic Jazz
D. Modern Jazz
C. Classical (Historical Recording)
E. Classical (Contemporary Recording)
F. Modern Composers
G. Soundtrack
H. 60s Rock
I. 70s Rock
J. 80s Rock
K. 90s Rock
L. Contemporary Rock
M. Folk
N. Blues
O. Country
P. Great Headphone album
Q. Best Recording You Know
R. Funniest Album You Know
S. Weirdest Album You Know
T. Music from Your country
U. Specific artist .......
V. Trance
W. Acid Jazz

etc....

(Please add more categories)

Say you pick THREE categories you're interested in.
Plus, when you send me those choices, you name THREE categories that you think you know about musically. Thus, someone who wants to hear or learn more about the blues will get paired up with someone who knows about the blues. Does that make sense? Let me know.

Finally

Okay. But first we need to get this RIAA issue voted on. I think mix cds would be the most creative and fun but, out of fairness to Head-Fi, I'm for new CDs. How about a quick vote? Can someone set up a poll? I'm not sure I know how.

Oct 14, 2001 at 5:29 PM Post #40 of 91
RE: The holiday/Xmas issue. I want this to be politically correct, so I'm just calling this a "holiday" exhange, call it New Years whatever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 7:10 PM Post #41 of 91
"Holiday Exchange" is probably the best
smily_headphones1.gif

As for what to exchange, I think it's pretty well established now that original copies of commercial CDs are the way to go. If you have a used store near you, go wild
wink.gif

Chadbang, if you need any help with the organization, let me know.

On the topic of "genres," I personally think we should leave that out -- one of the original ideas was to expose people to new music, so let's leave that open
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2001 at 7:43 PM Post #43 of 91
Wait a sec. What's the law if, say, I make a mix for myself? That's certainly not archiving a copy for myself and that's the selling point for home CD recorders. I thought the royalties came from the more expensive audio-only CDR's. Why can't we make mixes of stuff we've bought on audio-only CDR's and skirt this whole issue?

Oct 15, 2001 at 5:53 AM Post #44 of 91
Quote:

Wait a sec. What's the law if, say, I make a mix for myself? That's certainly not archiving a copy for myself and that's the selling point for home CD recorders. I thought the royalties came from the more expensive audio-only CDR's. Why can't we make mixes of stuff we've bought on audio-only CDR's and skirt this whole issue?

Huy, making a mix for yourself (a mix of songs you own already) is covered under Fair Use.

However, just because audio-only CDRs are taxed does not give you the right to copy what you don't own, or to distribute copies of your own purchased CDs. The taxes are there to "help" the record companies recoup losses from piracy. They know that some people will pirate no matter what, so to allow companies to sell audio-only CD recorders, they forced the tax on the media.

Oct 15, 2001 at 9:24 PM Post #45 of 91
Hey Chadbang, I think the idea of formats is okay. Just include Punk, heavy metal, hardcore, speed/death/black metal and I'll be okay. Also, Latin, traditional latin, latin jazz, latin rock and rock en español (just whatever style of rock you may think of, with lyrics in Spanish). So, whatcha think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back