Xmas/Holiday Gift Exchange
Oct 12, 2001 at 6:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Just a crazy thought. Have Head-Fiers ever done a music exchange around the holidays? We're always talking about our favourite music, etc, and I was just wondering how practical it would be to exchange a homemade CD or MD with each other? Maybe, McDef, we could all put our names into a pool who want to exhange a disc, and then you could pick pairs at random. I don't know... Maybe it's the dumbest idea ever, but once the leaves start falling (although I'm kind of missing that here in Bangkok) I get sentimental. Anyone else think this is a dumb/okay idea? Probably a consensus should arise.

That is all....

Oct 12, 2001 at 8:30 PM Post #2 of 91
could be interesting if those involved went with some of the more obscure of thier favorite recordings or bands.Then there would be a kind of cultural exchange,exposure to new music or formats.I am game !

Oct 12, 2001 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 91
Me too. Sounds like fun.

Maybe we should plan on listing our format. An MD or MP3 would be useless for me.

Oct 12, 2001 at 10:45 PM Post #5 of 91
Sure, I'll do it. But having separate format pools sounds like a good idea.

Oct 13, 2001 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 91
Just to be clear here (moderator hat again)... let's be careful about "trading" copyrighted material on Head-Fi. We don't want to get Jude in trouble.

Oct 13, 2001 at 1:29 AM Post #7 of 91
Quote:

We don't want to get Jude in trouble.

Good point,we should stick to new CDs.I think we could muster up $12 each to spread some holiday cheer.And let us not forget our brothers and sisters that celebrate Hannaku or do not celebrate nothing other than good cheer.Should be fun

Oct 13, 2001 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 91
Oops,I didn't even think of that. Who among us hasn't made a tape for a someone. If the record companies wanted to arrest everone who made a classic "love tape" for a potential girlfriend - three quarters of the world would be in jail! Of course, I'm not suggesting any "romance" going on here at Head-fi...the mere idea boggles the mind. (Of course there was that McDef/Huy-ha exhange about gold interconnects, but we'll let that slide... Just joking guys.) But, yeah, we need a binding theme or something to add some fun to it. "Greatest headphone recording" etc. to make things more interesting. But I can't believe that we can't "give" one lousy cd to a friend for the holidays. What a bummer. But we don't want to get Jude in trouble. Any legal eagle see a way around this? Record companies - Scrooges!
mad.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 91
Let's not get Jude in trouble or trade amongst us that craptacular selection of poorly mastered bootlegs!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 4:20 AM Post #13 of 91
Yeah! Good idea. Only a problem guys: We have friends in remote places. Can we really expect that the postal service would deliver the stuff on time for Xmas this year? I know I get stuff from the U.S. in like 20 or 30 days. But from a friend in Canada, who sent me cable, lets just say that I am still waiting. Can you imagine what would it be like to send stuff from Mexico to Australia, for example? I'll do it gladly, but I just want to point out possible problems. But I'll do it anyway
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 4:22 AM Post #14 of 91
Onix - obviously receiving gifts on time for the Holidays would be nice, but whatever... it's not that big of a deal if a couple of us have to wait longer than others.

EDIT: does anyone know the exact legal rules concerning making a mix CD for someone?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back