Xmas/Holiday Gift Exchange
Oct 13, 2001 at 4:55 AM Post #16 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by gorgon_123
FYI: I just emailed the RIAA concerning the making of mix-CDs from one's own music collection and giving them as gifts. Hopefully I'll get a response soon!

Maybe we can argue something like a cultural and information exchange concerning music
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 5:06 AM Post #17 of 91
Quote:

gorgon_123 said...

FYI: I just emailed the RIAA concerning the making of mix-CDs from one's own music collection and giving them as gifts. Hopefully I'll get a response soon!

If you see an unmarked white van pull up in front of your house, RUN!
wink.gif

Oct 13, 2001 at 5:09 AM Post #18 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
Good point,we should stick to new CDs.I think we could muster up $12 each to spread some holiday cheer.

Eh...

Oct 13, 2001 at 8:20 AM Post #20 of 91
Quote:

EDIT: does anyone know the exact legal rules concerning making a mix CD for someone

Well, legally, you can only make a copy of something you already own for your own use. That means making a copy for someone else is a no-no. It also means making a copy of someone else's CD is a no-no. (Remember, I'm not making any moral/ethical judgements; I'm just saying what the law says
smily_headphones1.gif
)

I think the "$12" exchange would be VERY cool. Everyone who is interested (and can afford the moolah) would give their name to the coordinator, who would then do a random selection so that each person gets a "recipient." The good thing about this is that you're guaranteed to get something back for your $.

My thought would be this: the idea of the exchange would be to introduce your recipient to some kind of music you *really* like that he/she may not have heard before. A chance for everyone to experience something new.

Comments?

Oct 13, 2001 at 3:18 PM Post #23 of 91
We'd have to list every album we own, not just on CD. I know some people have lots of stuff on minidisc, tape, vinyl, etc... That could take awhile. Admittedly, I don't see a better way of doing it if we want the gift to be a complete surprise.

Oct 13, 2001 at 6:35 PM Post #24 of 91
Well, we could send them an email with the title -- wouldn't be a complete surprise, but we'd make sure it wouldn't be a duplicate that way.

Oct 13, 2001 at 6:59 PM Post #25 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by dhwilkin
We'd have to list every album we own, not just on CD.

Oy.....that'd take me a year!

Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
Well, we could send them an email with the title -- wouldn't be a complete surprise, but we'd make sure it wouldn't be a duplicate that way.

Much better idea!

Oct 13, 2001 at 10:47 PM Post #26 of 91
I'd still like it to be something of a surprise. How about e-mailing a list of 10 possible albums?

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:19 PM Post #27 of 91
I'm in for sure.

And.........I wanna spread some Trane.....so.....let's do this!

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:49 PM Post #28 of 91
Quote:

No,No,No,No,
That would totally suck,The "surprise" is the only reason I am even considering this.I think that if you were to look at a persons profile you could get a taste of what they listen to on a regular basis,so you pull something that "jibes"with that musical taste but more obscure,or better yet,a different genre entirely as an introduction to a new thing.

Oct 13, 2001 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 91
I really think mixcds should be legal- with a limit of one track per artist. Seriously, if someone sent me a mix cd, I'd probably end up buying most of the cds that the tracks came from.

Oct 14, 2001 at 4:16 AM Post #30 of 91
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42

List EVERY damn CD you own in your profile,we have to take this **** serious
evil_smiley.gif

Yikes, I have over a thousand. That's gonna take a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back