Xmas/Holiday Gift Exchange
Oct 15, 2001 at 10:59 PM Post #46 of 91
I think the real point of this is to introduce a new thing.That means any music style goes but for instance i would not give a classic rock CD to someone that lists that in thier profile unless they were young and i knew they would only have heard the more well known.But if from my age group I would probably hit them with some fusion jazz or maybe some "avant garde" rock,something a little bit "out there".
If you ended up with my name onix I would welcome some Latin rock,only becuase it is something I know little about (I don;t count Carlos Santana,that is mainstream).
Someone that is into classical might like some symphonic rock or mabe swing,big band-see where i am going ?
That would make this sooo cool,the anticipation of something new
And that does not mean your selections are not good ones,just using examples

movin' groovin' slip an' slide
OH YEAHHHHHHHH
(J.Geils Band)

Oct 15, 2001 at 11:04 PM Post #47 of 91
Chadbang-has it been established that you will hanle this ? Should i send an e-mail or is it enough for now to say
COUNT ME IN MAN

hehe,couldn't resist,

impulsarickter

Oct 16, 2001 at 3:57 AM Post #48 of 91
Oh, something else just occured to me. I dont know if anyone has mentioned this, but what about music reviews of the albums we get? That way we can show appreciation for the gift and let ppl know what it sounds like from the perspective of someone who is new to that type of music.

"Na na na na na na na na na na na na na" (+/- "na")
(J.Geils Band)

Oct 16, 2001 at 11:29 AM Post #49 of 91
YEEEESSSSSSSSS!

Beavisclone,you just made my point dude !

The J.Giels band song you reference sounds NOTHING like early Giels,not even close
biggrin.gif

But you are probably more familiar with the later "sound"

That is what I meant about looking at the age of the recipient in the profile,pssst-check out the bloodshot album for a different slant on that band

Oct 16, 2001 at 3:23 PM Post #50 of 91
The reason I suggest the categories was so you could be introduced to something new - but also so you won't get something you'll hate. If someone's a die-hard rocker and hates classical, having a category list would eliminate a big disappointment when they get a Mozart cd. But that same die-hard rocker might be interested in knowing more about Latin, Blues, Reggae, or Jazz. That's when I would pick someone who listed "reggae" in their field of expertise as that person's exchange buddy. And that still leaves a lot of room for a surprise, but elimates all-out bombs. Does that make sense? Otherwise it's completely potluck. I personally would love for someone to pick me a cool acid jazz album - but I when I go to the record store I have no idea at all what to grab, while say, Beavisclone might. Also my jazz collection is really scant, so I'd list that in my want category and someone turning me on to an amazing jazz album I've never head would be a great gift. That's my reason for the categories. So, I guess the last decision we have to make before starting is: Categories, or no cateogories? How about a quick count.

By the way I would like to expand the number of categories you'd select to receive from to four and the number of areas of knowledge you have to four. (If I only have three of each, I might not have enough choices matching people up).

Oct 16, 2001 at 3:54 PM Post #51 of 91
Even if it's a bomb, introduction to a new form would be worthwhile, which is why I thought the mix idea would be best. A variety of songs chosen with good recordings in mind would give the recipient something new and a good idea of how someone else listens to music. Even if stuff isn't all that new to the recipient, the juxtaposition of songs would be novel. But alas, the powers that be are hoarding their treasure.

Oct 16, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

The reason I suggest the categories was so you could be introduced to something new - but also so you won't get something you'll hate.

Chadbang, that's the risk of being in the exchange
wink.gif
You may be a rocker who gets a Vivaldi CD -- but it's your job to open your mind and give it a fair listen. If you don't like it, at least you tried!

Oct 16, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #53 of 91
I agree with MacDef: Quote:

it's your job to open your mind and give it a fair listen.

---------

also... when this holiday gift exchange officially starts accepting names someone should start a new thread to alert people to it. orrrrrrrr has it already started? should i be emailing chadbang?

Oct 16, 2001 at 9:37 PM Post #54 of 91
BTW, re: the RIAA issue, according to Wired they'll try to hack anybody trading songs, so I sure hope Neil is running this on a locked-down OpenBSD box...

re: the CD Exchange, I'd be interested in some Pink Floyd, Chopin, some good test tracks (not Stereophile stuff but actual music) since my current one is "quite bright" to quote Tyll...

As for what I can offer, well think Classical. I'm *not* willing to part with my Sousa collection...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 9:58 AM Post #56 of 91
All right, I guess we're all set then!

This is the agreement: We'll be exchanging new CDs. It is potluck as to what you recieve - in the spirit of getting to know new music.

Email me at bradfordcheng@yahoo.com and I'll match people up. Please put "Head-Fi Holiday Exchange" as your message header. CLOSING DATE FOR GETTING YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS TO ME IS OCTOBER 31.

By Novemeber 2, I will post in this forum the names of the people who have been paired up to exhange gifts. On the same day, I'll forward your exchange partner's email address to you, so you can exchange addresses privately.

This should give us plenty of time to purchase and mail our CDs. I would say use your common sense as to when you should mail your gifts. Oversees partners should obviously give more time to making the exchange, and perhaps your partner can give you some idea of the amount of time it takes mail to arrive from your country. Should we say the CD should arrive by New Years? Is that a politically correct holiday to shoot for? A 2002 exchange?

But go ahead and start emailing me. Let's get this ball rolling.
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2001 at 3:00 PM Post #57 of 91
One further suggestion: Let's not do "pairings." Let's make it more of a "ring." In other words, I buy for someone, they buy for someone else, etc. I think this would be more fun that individual pairings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back