XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
Jan 18, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #391 of 1,196
I got a pair of xba-40's from Japan a few days ago, also have the xba-4's. Will try to find some time to compare them within the next week or so.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #393 of 1,196
You know the cost of a XBA-40 is not too far off the cost of the XBA-30 on Amazon Japan. Might have to go for the 40. Choices choices..
I'm not certain what others think here but I personally found a rather weird piercing treble peak with the XBA-40s & XBA-4's. The XBA-30 also has that but is somewhat more controlled...which was why I ended up with the XBA-30 in the end.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:14 AM Post #394 of 1,196
This Japanese review compares 30 against 3 a little:
http://review.kakaku.com/review/K0000411503/ReviewCD=543167/
My Japanese is rusty, and google translate is no help, but it does say the piercing highs of xba3 has been suppressed in xba30.

Jan 28, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #395 of 1,196
I just bought the xba-3iP and I am absolutely in love with the sound; however, the left earbud - where the microphone is - started losing all sound on the 3rd day. It usually starts by a slight decrease that progresses until all sound vanishes. The first time it happened, I thought they were definitely broken so I filed for a return with the seller - upon trying them again I found they were working fine. But after a few hours all sound stops again on the left earbud only. Is this a widespread issue? Should I attempt to buy the xba-3ip again? I don't much care for the mic, but the version without the mic is $100 more. And I'm truthfully afraid of facing the same issue. Does anybody know of any other headphone with this kind of sound around $150? I've been reading about the re-262 but I'm afraid it isn't comparable since it's a dynamic driver. The only other headphones I've had some experience with is the tdk-ba200 but I miss the bass that is present in the xba-3. I'm just getting into hifi-sound and I can't believe I've been listening to $40 earbuds for so long. Thank you for all of your help.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #397 of 1,196
Quote:
I just bought the xba-3iP and I am absolutely in love with the sound; however, the left earbud - where the microphone is - started losing all sound on the 3rd day. It usually starts by a slight decrease that progresses until all sound vanishes. The first time it happened, I thought they were definitely broken so I filed for a return with the seller - upon trying them again I found they were working fine. But after a few hours all sound stops again on the left earbud only. Is this a widespread issue? Should I attempt to buy the xba-3ip again? I don't much care for the mic, but the version without the mic is $100 more. And I'm truthfully afraid of facing the same issue. Does anybody know of any other headphone with this kind of sound around $150? I've been reading about the re-262 but I'm afraid it isn't comparable since it's a dynamic driver. The only other headphones I've had some experience with is the tdk-ba200 but I miss the bass that is present in the xba-3. I'm just getting into hifi-sound and I can't believe I've been listening to $40 earbuds for so long. Thank you for all of your help.

Sorry mate, I am still waiting for my pair of XBA-3, I bought them in December directly from Sony ($120 in Mexico) but DHL misdelivered them.

Quote:
Just buy a extender with a mic and then get the XBA-3.. I am gonna have to try one of the new XBAs.. Debating if I want to try the XBA-40

Did you even read what he wrote,? he doesn't care about the mic, but the XBA-3ip is $100 less than the XBA-3,  he wants some advice as if anyone has heard a earphone that sounds like the xba-3 with a price around $150 or if is wise to buy the XBA-3ip again.

Jan 28, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #398 of 1,196
If the XBA3 sounds metallic, your source has too much output impedance.

XB3 isn't offensive with my IP4, gets even smoother if you can stretch Shure Black Olive foam tips into them. Highly recomended. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #399 of 1,196
Quote:

XB3 isn't offensive with my IP4, gets even smoother if you can stretch Shure Black Olive foam tips into them. Highly recomended. 

Between the UE700 and the XBA-3 which are more of your liking? Did you fit the Olive with the core? 
size]

The xba-4 out of a Sony Walkman Z1000 does have a metallic tinge, my B2 sounded next to them very flat, more cohesive  and polite.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #400 of 1,196
Z1000 is a horrible source for the XBA4. 

I did fit it, just takes some stretching. I like the XBA3 a bit more, my UE700 has 33ohm added which makes it way better than stock. UE700s spike bothers me a bit and it has less rumble than XBA3, despite being a very good BA when it comes to rumble. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #401 of 1,196
Quote:
Between the UE700 and the XBA-3 which are more of your liking? Did you fit the Olive with the core? 
size]

The xba-4 out of a Sony Walkman Z1000 does have a metallic tinge, my B2 sounded next to them very flat, more cohesive  and polite.

I'd take the xba-3 for sure, but on a low impedance device.  Whatever small metallic tinge is left is better than the ue700 to my ears.  But they are by no means bad for the price, in fact very good.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #402 of 1,196
Quote:

Absolutely the case.  Although, I heard the metallic-ness even on my .7 ohm ipod touch 5th gen.  However, at that point it doesn't really hinder the sound at all it's just "there" slightly.  Otherwise, on a low impedance source they sound excellent.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #405 of 1,196
Quote:
$149 or maybe it's because I have Prime

That one isn't from amazon.com though.  It's a third party seller.  I saw that, but I prefer amazon for a guaranteed good seller.  Not that there is anything wrong with buying from a third part, but for me the extra is peace of mind.  Although, in this particular case that seller has very good feedback. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back