XBA-3/ XBA-30 thread.
Jan 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #406 of 1,196
Quote:
I just bought the xba-3iP and I am absolutely in love with the sound; however, the left earbud - where the microphone is - started losing all sound on the 3rd day. It usually starts by a slight decrease that progresses until all sound vanishes. The first time it happened, I thought they were definitely broken so I filed for a return with the seller - upon trying them again I found they were working fine. But after a few hours all sound stops again on the left earbud only. Is this a widespread issue? Should I attempt to buy the xba-3ip again? I don't much care for the mic, but the version without the mic is $100 more. And I'm truthfully afraid of facing the same issue. Does anybody know of any other headphone with this kind of sound around $150? I've been reading about the re-262 but I'm afraid it isn't comparable since it's a dynamic driver. The only other headphones I've had some experience with is the tdk-ba200 but I miss the bass that is present in the xba-3. I'm just getting into hifi-sound and I can't believe I've been listening to $40 earbuds for so long. Thank you for all of your help.

Sorry didn't realize the XBA-3ip was cheaper. I was shopping on Amazon Japan recently and they had them for $110. Those seem to be all sold out. I didn't realize most of you guys have no idea about Tenso and Amazon Japan. How everything is cheaper over ebay prices.

Jan 28, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #407 of 1,196
Quote:
I just bought the xba-3iP and I am absolutely in love with the sound; however, the left earbud - where the microphone is - started losing all sound on the 3rd day. It usually starts by a slight decrease that progresses until all sound vanishes. The first time it happened, I thought they were definitely broken so I filed for a return with the seller - upon trying them again I found they were working fine. But after a few hours all sound stops again on the left earbud only. Is this a widespread issue? Should I attempt to buy the xba-3ip again? I don't much care for the mic, but the version without the mic is $100 more. And I'm truthfully afraid of facing the same issue. Does anybody know of any other headphone with this kind of sound around $150? I've been reading about the re-262 but I'm afraid it isn't comparable since it's a dynamic driver. The only other headphones I've had some experience with is the tdk-ba200 but I miss the bass that is present in the xba-3. I'm just getting into hifi-sound and I can't believe I've been listening to $40 earbuds for so long. Thank you for all of your help.

Same thing happens with my XBA-3ip and all the stock Sony MH1Cs I've used. As a result mine are just languishing at the bottom of a box somewhere, unused. I'll probably sell them and get an IEM that works with something that isn't a phone.

Jan 29, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #408 of 1,196
Quote:
Same thing happens with my XBA-3ip and all the stock Sony MH1Cs I've used. As a result mine are just languishing at the bottom of a box somewhere, unused. I'll probably sell them and get an IEM that works with something that isn't a phone.

My XBA-3iP sounds great connected to FiiO E10 (just make sure the PC's output is set to 24 bit / 96k Hz). But because it's the iPhone version, if I use an extension cable with it, the sound becomes tiny. I'd need to press and hold the middle button on the remote for the sound to come back. So it's not usable with an extension cable.

If your XBA-3 is faulty, just send it back to Sony. They were really good about replacing mine.

I really like the XBA-3iP and think it's a steal at ~$130. Probably the best deal for a triple BA IEM this year, now that price drops are popping up everywhere. Best deal I've ever seen on a triple BA IEM was the $99 Triple Fi 10 deal a year or two ago and has since been discontinued.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #409 of 1,196
Quote:

My XBA-3iP sounds great connected to FiiO E10 (just make sure the PC's output is set to 24 bit / 96k Hz). But because it's the iPhone version, if I use an extension cable with it, the sound becomes tiny. I'd need to press and hold the middle button on the remote for the sound to come back. So it's not usable with an extension cable.

If your XBA-3 is faulty, just send it back to Sony. They were really good about replacing mine.

I really like the XBA-3iP and think it's a steal at ~$130. Probably the best deal for a triple BA IEM this year, now that price drops are popping up everywhere. Best deal I've ever seen on a triple BA IEM was the $99 Triple Fi 10 deal a year or two ago and has since been discontinued.

They don't like my Asgard, even with a 6.3mm jack that doesn't immediately tin the sound. They do like the headphone out on my TEAC(although I haven't used it for more than 20mins on the TEAC). Not that I ever use IEMs at my PC anyway, so no biggie. They don't work at all with my Sansa clip+ and the left earbud volume slowly dies when used with my E11. 

To me the point of an IEM is for portable use, which these fail miserably at unless I plug them into a phone. I just keep going back to my SE215s despite the muddier bass and much less refined sound. The strange sticky out fit irritates me as well. It'd be fair to say the only thing I do like about the XBA-3iP is the sound quality. Maybe I'll just have to get them custom shelled and recabled with a TRS jack.

Jan 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #410 of 1,196
Hi,

I've been using my xba3s for a while. When I used my laptop as the source, it was quite metallic and 'thin', and using a fiio e3 did improve that, but there is still some thinness and sibilence (my source audio is mostly mp3 320kbps and some flac).

Anyways, I wanted to ask a few questions to xba3 owners and headfiers in general. 
Firstly, is anyone able to wear these over the ear? I've been using them straight down and I've found it kinda uncomfortable. Over the ear feels uncomfortable too, and the J cord only makes it worse. I think that the housings of these are rather large. Anyways, this is the unimportant question. Moving on.

I have no idea how tips work. I was using the small sized stock silicon hybrid tips as it was the best fit for me. Then I started using the large size foam hybrid tips. While these did seem to improve the sound quality and I still get the vacuum seal right (albeit after 2-3 seconds of struggling), they fall out occasionally and feel uncomfortable. So I want to replace the tips. What should I go for? Monster Supertips? Comply? Shure olives? How does each of these affect the sound of the xba3s?

Finally, if I were to trade these away for some equivalent, what should I look for? I've been considering the Yamaha EPH100s, Vsonic GR07s, and the Audeo PFE 122.

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #412 of 1,196
I've returned my XBA-3iP for good. Definitely don't want to deal with Sony, especially considering their warranty is only for 90 days. Now I need to find a comparable pair - I've been reading the Yamaha EPH-100 is actually better, so I'll give those a try, or just the plain XBA-3 without the mic. Can anybody confirm the XBA-3 is reliable? I'm thinking the XBA-3ip has problems because of the iPhone microphone and volume control. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #414 of 1,196
Quote:

Finally, if I were to trade these away for some equivalent, what should I look for? I've been considering the Yamaha EPH100s, Vsonic GR07s, and the Audeo PFE 122.

Quote:
gr07 would be a side grade, yamaha would be a downgrade but you would get a lot more bass.

pfe 122 is a mic'd 112 I believe.  That would be the most neutral and highest quality by far of those mentioned, but not very bassy.  Otherwise, incredible for the price and I would take it hands down.

Jan 30, 2013 at 9:40 AM Post #417 of 1,196
Quote:

+1. Can't say anything about the GR07 but the Yamaha and PFE are not on the same level as the XBA-3/30.

Besides the GR07, what else would be a 'side grade'/equivalent?

Can someone describe the Yamaha EPH100's sound and the PFE 121's sound by contrasting it with the XBA3?

Also, what tips are you using? Monster supertips? Shure Olives? How do they affect the sound?

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #418 of 1,196
Torn between these and the TDK BA200s. How do these 2 compare?

I like how the ba200 isolates vocals better than the XBA-3. It feels as if the performer is centerstage and it's just right. Soundstage is about the same in width and height. the ba200 is much more comfortable over the ears, but it fails when it comes to bass quantity, quality and impact. Don't get me wrong, bass is still there, but it's not enough for hip-hop or some rock.

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #419 of 1,196
xba3 has an amazing 3d quality to them, them being very airy helps. ba200 and eph100 are not nearly as airy. ba200 probably most refined in overall presentation/cohesiveness, and the eph would be for those looking for more bass kick fun sound.
i have the ba200 listed currently, and will be selling my eph soon as well to fund other phones.

Jan 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #420 of 1,196
Quote:
Besides the GR07, what else would be a 'side grade'/equivalent?

Can someone describe the Yamaha EPH100's sound and the PFE 121's sound by contrasting it with the XBA3?

Also, what tips are you using? Monster supertips? Shure Olives? How do they affect the sound?

The XBA-30 is the best IEM I've heard. The EPH100 is not as refined and has a rather short treble note which bothered me. The PFE is good but not worth $150 IMO. Its bass light and not nearly as full sounding as the XBAs.

Right now I'm using Ortofon silicon tips. They are perfect for the XBAs since the bore is as wide as the nozzle, and brings out the full potential of the sound. Bass is even fuller and treble has a nice sparkle without ever being piercing. Soundstage is more airy too. I don't really recommend that you get them though, since they're expensive and hard to get. If you have any UE tips I would try them out too. Look for tips that have a wider bore than the stock Sony tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back