Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Mar 24, 2010 at 4:36 PM Post #392 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello firoze... sadly, I was very sick on my way to Tokyo, almost called off the trip! Then, by the time I recovered, I had no time to go shopping... so I may have to do that next time I go through: June or July... Really want to try the SB.

hint hint, wink wink, say no more!

Hi, sorry to hear you were unwell. Hope you're fine now. Pity you could not hear the FAD's, I was looking forward to your opinion on the SB vs SS. Anyway better luck next time, by which time FAD's BA's should also be available... now that will be interesting - to see how they sound.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #393 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by helljudgement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone give me a comparison between the e-Q7 and the Final Audio Design? Thanks in advance.

Aside from what rightly Shigzeo said, that the FAD and e-Q7 sound very different, James has already answered that question earlier in this thread. I quote it below for your reference:

Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
firoze, how shall I begin to compare FADs and the Ortofon e-Q7s? They are so different in every aspect. The e-Q7s are my favorite IEMs. They are easy to like, fit me perfectly and sound wonderful from every source and with every genre. They are extremely clean and transparent to my ears. Sometimes, within seconds after putting them on, I forget that I'm wearing phones at all. But yet they are only a variation of a known theme - a very, very good one, but not something unique. If you already love your SE530s, they'll be most likely an incremental improvement or in some aspects perhaps a sidegrade, not a substantial upgrade.

The FADs on the other hand are unique. Sonic aspects aside, I like their straightforward design, their weight in my hands. They are simply beautiful, alluring objects. You'd better feel the same way too, when you see them, or else you won't be ready for the demanding and sometimes frustrating task of coaxing the best out of them. As for their sonic qualities, I find myself somewhere in the middle between shigzeo and dfkt. They can sound extremely impressive, but only with certain genres and IME only one certain source, the Voyager. So, from a no-nonsense point of view, they are a classic example of diminishing returns.

Long story short, if I were to decide about getting only one high-end phone it would be the e-Q7, no doubt. But as it is, you have the Shures, Stax and Etys and might be in for something completely different, i.e. the FADs. If you can audition them, I'm pretty sure you'll realize even under less-than-ideal conditions whether their magic works for you or not.

However now that I have my own pair of FAD SB's, I'd like to add my two penny's worth to that as well:

In my view the e-Q7 is certainly the best amongst the top tier Universal IEM's such as the Shure SE530, Westone 3, Ety ER4P, IE8 etc. If I wanted to buy earphones in that category, I'd unhesitatingly buy the Ortofon's (caveat: I have not heard the Monster Copper or Miles Davis - been reading very good things about them - they seem to be in the same league).

On the other hand, in my opinion the FAD's are a league apart - an order of magnitude better that the Orto's, Shures etc. I am getting stunning results with them, to the extent that my SE530's sound woefully inadequate in comparison. Am compiling a comprehensive report on the FAD's, hoping to post it here in a couple of week's time.

Mar 24, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #395 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by helljudgement /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Thanks for the heads up. I must have missed out that post. So in your view, are the FADs worth it? No matter how good they are it is still hard to ignore the hefty price tag.

Yes absolutely! This is one of the best investments I've made! Having already owned the SE530, the Stax SR-001 and the ER4P, all of which I love and throughly enjoy, I had resolved to buy another pair of earphones only if they did something exceptional for me. In the event that's exactly what the FAD's did. They are, by far, the most musical earphones I've heard.

However, if you are considering buying them, please do try to hear them before buying - they are so different from the regular IEM's. A lot, and I mean a lot, depends on how satisfying a fit you achieve in your ear. Also, the source seems to be critical. In my case, my iPhone 3GS has superb synergy with them. Out of the five of us here on Head-Fi who have heard them extensively, four of us like them, one of us doesn't. So keep in mind that they are not universally liked and carefully re-read what has been written of them here so that you have the best understanding of their strengths & weaknesses.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #396 of 428
Yes, definitely try them first - I love the SS sound, but to be honest, I am not sure if I would be one to spend 800$ on them simply because my listening habits aren't always the same. The SB is 'cheaper' at 500$ and if it follows the perceptions in this thread, must be worthwhile, at least for those who really like it.

FAD earphones also sound excellent with Sony Walkmans for some reason: probably their great dyanmic earphone driving capabilities and very decent EQ. Enjoy.

Apr 7, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #397 of 428
Sorry for bumping this thread, but apparently FAD's balanced-armature-driven IEM will finally see its release. It's a single full-range armature design that will sell for approximately ¥98,000 (~$1043.50 US).

vh6h4m.jpg

Final audio design:商品情報:商品一覧:イヤホン FI-BA-SS

Apr 7, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #399 of 428
It seems to me that something like the DC1601SB would functionally compete more with something like the ESW10JPN - poor isolation but excellent dynamics and soundstage, except that they are more portable and won't mess up my hair. No urushi cups though.

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #401 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello firoze... sadly, I was very sick on my way to Tokyo, almost called off the trip! Then, by the time I recovered, I had no time to go shopping... so I may have to do that next time I go through: June or July... Really want to try the SB.

hint hint, wink wink, say no more!

A Monty Python reference from Korea. You gotta love it...

Listening to SS. Interesting.

Kevin

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #402 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for bumping this thread, but apparently FAD's balanced-armature-driven IEM will finally see its release. It's a single full-range armature design that will sell for approximately ¥98,000 (~$1043.50 US).

vh6h4m.jpg

James when are you getting a pair of these?? LOL Waiting to hear what they sound like...
smile.gif

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM Post #403 of 428
^ LOL @firoze, I already expected you to post something along these lines...

TBO, I can't imagine any single BA driver justifying that price. This ought to be one pretty exclusive driver. AFAIK even the housing is not as important with BA as with dynamics. So there's a slight chance that I may resist this time.
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #404 of 428
^ I'd very much like to know more about the BA drive unit - whether it's a pure BA or a hybrid like the one in the Ortofon; whether it's their own design or an OEM unit. Then enclosure would affect the sound in the sense that

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:54 PM Post #405 of 428
I think FAD are not catering to the same market. At headfi, we pride ourselves in being 'audiophiles' in comparison to the riffraff outside, but FAD cater to a new person.

That said, the 1601SS is (James, you know what I'm talking about) with a Sony Walkman or Graham Slee Voyager one of the best if not the best earphone/headphone I've heard (at any price range and including customs) for certain music types/genres.

It has weaknesses, but I can understand a person who'd spend the money to get one, but they'd have to have a pretty firm resolve that they enjoy a certain sound. I still want to hear the SB as the SS simply rocked my world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back