Wow! The Final Audio Design FI-DC1601SB (also known as "Don't go to Yodobashi" lol)
Mar 13, 2010 at 9:38 PM Post #361 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks! I've also been experimenting a little with tips, but really, I need to wait for the SB's to fully run in first.

As for the selecting the SB's over the SS, I'm glad I had a second chance to audition them - on my first trip to Akihabara, I was seduced by the more forward mid and upper-bass of the SS and would probably have bought them. However there was something about the SS vs SB nagging me at the back of my mind. But since I was already a bit disoriented with listening so many different earphones that day (SC, SS, SB, e-Q7, Fx-700, CK100, IE7, IE8, Monster etc) and since I also knew that I would be coming back in a couple of days, I didn't buy them that day. Then on my next trip I concentrated only on the e-Q7, SS & SB. Loved the e-Q7's but in the end, for me, it was no match for the FAD's. So then I spent the next 45mins listening only to the SS & SB and finally decided on the SB for the reasons mentioned in my earlier post.

Tell me that the IEM case at Yodobashi in Akihabara isn't anything but amazing. I can't think of one brick and mortar here in the US that has anything like that.

I'm glad I went with my gut. Had I done what you did and audition a lot of 'phones - my original intent - I would have had your problem.

How were the FX700s? They were not out when I was there. I wanted to try the Pioneers as well, but didn't get around to it.

Mar 14, 2010 at 6:43 AM Post #362 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of Mingo, the WM2 is a great earphone for the cheap. Bad finish quality, but great sound (too much bass maybe, but great).

I will certainly try these out when I visit Mingo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have a Sony A845 soon to see with the 1601 SS. Dear God, which will suit my tastes more?

Don't worry, both the SB & SS are superb, each has its own strengths but you cant go wrong with either.

Mar 14, 2010 at 7:11 AM Post #363 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tell me that the IEM case at Yodobashi in Akihabara isn't anything but amazing. I can't think of one brick and mortar here in the US that has anything like that.

You're right, there is no other place like Yodobashi in the entire world, let alone the US. Its just amazing, the variety of stuff they have there. One of the most comprehensive collections of headphones I've ever seen.

The other great places for auditioning headphones I've come across in the world are:

Dyna5555 in Akihabara itself: Much more quiet and relaxed than Yodobashi. Probably the best place in the world to audition h/phones at length.

Mingo in Hong Kong. Like Dyna555, one can sit and audition in an quiet environment. They have by far the best selection of h/phone amps and ear-tips that I've come across. And some really unusual accessories as well.

Jaben in Singapore. Its similar to Mingo but on a smaller scale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FenderP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How were the FX700s? They were not out when I was there. I wanted to try the Pioneers as well, but didn't get around to it.

The FX700 are similar to the FX500 in sound signature: prominent bass, somewhat recessed mids. Smooth but lively highs, overall much more refined and transparent than the FX500. This is one very good earphone and should stand the test of time. However this was not the type sound I prefer (I much prefered the e-Q7) so I didn't spend much time listening to it. But it is of sufficiently high quality that given some time experimenting with ear-tips, I could happily live with it.

Mar 14, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #364 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
....I think I have to chase down those Mingos!

See Mongo's own website for the WM2. Here is the link:

亦軒耳機俱樂部 & 亦軒耳機便利店 -

The site is in Chinese but its easy to navigate nonetheless - the Brands they carry are listed in a side-bar on the right. Fascinating, some of the goodies they have! There's also an e-mail address at the bottom of the page if you want to get in touch with them.

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #365 of 428
^ firoze, thanks for the link, I mailed them.
smile.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #366 of 428
Hey James, Shig and Fender, how are you guys using the FAD case? I'm finding the foam block on the left flap gets in the way of stowing the phones properly. How are you managing?

Mar 14, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #368 of 428
Yes that's what I'm doing, but am finding it exceedingly fiddly to stow the earpiece stems properly in the foam block's slots.

Also, unless the front flap is folded back really tight, the lid does not close properly..
frown.gif

Mar 14, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #369 of 428
^ I don't care about stowing the stems in the foam block's slots. Now that I've tried it a few times, I believe it's actually easier to start with the cable. I roll it into a small loop and stow it under the right flap. Then I align the earpieces leftmost and nozzle to nozzle, so that the stems are approximately under the foam block's slots, close the left flap over the earpieces and press the foam block gently downwards. Next comes the front flap and closing of the lid. Fiddly it is, but doable.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #371 of 428
^^ I guess it's a matter of practice makes perfect
smily_headphones1.gif

I suppose it's a matter of time before I get used to stowing them in the case

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #372 of 428
Quote:

Originally Posted by firoze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey James, Shig and Fender, how are you guys using the FAD case? I'm finding the foam block on the left flap gets in the way of stowing the phones properly. How are you managing?

Not using it. It reminds me of a jewelery box. Good protection, but too large and unwieldy. That flap is just not working. I'm using an older Etymotic case I got a long time ago: the ER4-65 (you can see the pic here: Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER•4 Accessories).

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM Post #374 of 428
Got to say James, that the Sony and 1601 is now better than the Voyager/iPod or other combo. But, I've tried the Cowon and for some reason, I didn't like it as much despite a 'better' EQ. I have a feeling it is the more natural low bass of the Sony.

Mar 15, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #375 of 428
^ Thanks shigzeo, I'm also looking at the Sonys, AFAIK FenderP has the X-series. I'm just not sure which model to try, there are a lot of options, X-series, 6xx, 7xx, 8xx...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back