would driver flex finally kill a pair of IEM ?
Jun 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #46 of 69

Quote:
I'm debating on getting a replacement for them or just keeping the pair I have. Based on what everyone is saying it just sounds as if it is a problem with the MTPG's and any pair I get will have this. I wonder if the reason it effects some people and not others is due to the difference in the fits people get. For my own MTPG's the left side fits better than the right and sometimes I really have to jam the right side in my ear deep to get it to stay. This is when I have the popping.clicking and the sound cuts off. Its probably the increased pressure on the right side is causing it to flex and the sound to cut off.

It is the increased pressure in your right ear, due to the better seal.  It is the fit that are giving people skewed results, one ear fits better than the other...

Jun 18, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #47 of 69

Quote:
It is the increased pressure in your right ear, due to the better seal.  It is the fit that are giving people skewed results, one ear fits better than the other...

If that's the case than it probably wouldn't make a difference if I got a new paid. I'm guessing the same thing would happen, which kinda sucks.

Jul 17, 2011 at 7:45 AM Post #48 of 69

Quote:

If that's the case than it probably wouldn't make a difference if I got a new paid. I'm guessing the same thing would happen, which kinda sucks.

actually, it can be fixed, i fixed mine by putting different size eartips on each side 
beerchug.gif

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #49 of 69

Quote:
actually, it can be fixed, i fixed mine by putting different size eartips on each side 
beerchug.gif

That creates a different seal (weaker) so you don't get driver flex.  That's not entirely fixed as the sound of the headphones are now changed due to the weaker seal.

Aug 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #50 of 69
I'd like to chime in here and share a little of my own version of this issue. . .I'll try to make this brief.

I find this topic of particular interest at the moment. I just bought a pair of Vibes from a 3rd party seller on Amazon. I have owned Vibes before in the past, so I already know what to expect from them (soundwise, performance-wise, etc.). My last 2 pair of them were purchased directly from V-Moda. The first of those, had driver flex, and I sent them back. The next pair did NOT have the issue (so I KNOW it is possible to have them NOT do this). BTW, I no longer have that 2nd pair (I sold them recently, but really wish I hadn't).

Now, on to the PRESENT. The pair I just got from the 3rd party seller on Amazon:  This one has driver flex only in one side (the left side). The first time I inserted them (right out of the box) and listened to them, the right side was extremely louder than the left, and the left sounded like muddy, muffled bass (like I was listening to it through a sock), while the right side sounded as clean, crisp, and clear as a bell. After listening to just a few song tracks, the issue having to do with the sound being over-emphasized in one side reversed itself. The sound is NOW much louder in the left side earpiece --- but yet I'm still experiencing the muddy, muffled sound quality in the left (as well as the driver flex).

I was thinking that perhaps some burn-in might correct the imbalance of sound in one side, so I figured I would wait and see if the issue would correct by itself. Anyway, with about 15 hours of burn-in so far, and the issue is still there.

I contacted the seller about this, and discovered that I only have 7 days to return these for a refund or an exchange (which at this point is now really about 5 days, in reality). The seller and I agreed that I should wait a few days to see if these get better with time and use, but I am not very hopeful at the moment.

I just wanted to know if anyone else here has ever had these things which I described happen (either with Vibes, or with any other earphone).

Thanks!

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #51 of 69
I don't think driver flex just stops happening with burn-in, but I'd be happy to be corrected. I'd love to get rid of the driver flex I have on the left 'phone of one of mine.

Aug 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #52 of 69

Quote:
I don't think driver flex just stops happening with burn-in, but I'd be happy to be corrected. I'd love to get rid of the driver flex I have on the left 'phone of one of mine.

You are correct, driver flex is a physical problem causing the entire driver to actually shift directions and move.  Unless the wires connect to the drivers to the housings bond better after burning in, it won't fix it...  And I'm pretty sure they don't :p

Although I haven't had any headphones go dead due to driver flex, it's always a possibility (not likely though).  The only things I can see being a common long term problem caused by driver flex is if you push/move the driver too much where it can pop back into place, this will result in your IEM sounding dead (when it actually isn't). 

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #53 of 69
Wondering, could driver flex be the cause of imbalance in XE200PRO ?

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #54 of 69
My 4 months MEE CC51 having driver flex issue in left driver, whenever I hear kick drum sound it produces the noise and also it has volume imbalance.
Can anybody help me to solve this issue or how can I contact MEE and send them back for replacement, it is possible to get MEE A151 instead of CC51.

Basically I didn't like V-shape sound signature and wrongly purchased this product.

I purchased this product from lynx-india online shopping. Currently this product is in india with me.

Jan 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #55 of 69

Quote:
My 4 months MEE CC51 having driver flex issue in left driver, whenever I hear kick drum sound it produces the noise and also it has volume imbalance.
Can anybody help me to solve this issue or how can I contact MEE and send them back for replacement, it is possible to get MEE A151 instead of CC51.

Basically I didn't like V-shape sound signature and wrongly purchased this product.

I purchased this product from lynx-india online shopping. Currently this product is in india with me.

That is not called driver flex anymore, but defected driver. Contact the seller first and claim your warranty.

Oct 4, 2012 at 2:22 PM Post #57 of 69
Thats what i think it is as well. Exactly. And that would also explain why comply tips help a ton with driver flex. I was sitting here reading all these post before you, thinking What these people are crazy! Lol you nailed it.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #58 of 69
Does anyone know if driver flex can damage your hearing/ eardrum? It doesn't seem good for you nor feel good when it happens...

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #59 of 69
Quote:
Does anyone know if driver flex can damage your hearing/ eardrum? It doesn't seem good for you nor feel good when it happens...

It shouldn't do much.  The crackling sound isn't that loud when it happens to me.  Any pressure created won't even register as noise, at the worst, you'll get the effect that happens when you need your ears to pop (but they won't) on an airplane or elevator.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back