would driver flex finally kill a pair of IEM ?
Jan 28, 2011 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 69

akacoke

100+ Head-Fier
i just got the monster turbine gold,  i know it has lifetime warranty on them, but you still pay shipping to send them back to monster

right out of box i experience the driver flex on both ear pieces, the flex is much worse than my last pair of jamz.

do all the closed IEMs have this driver flex?

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 69
when you insert ear piece into your ear, you hear clicking poping sound from the driver,  while playing music, the volume would drop to almost none when it clicks/pops

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4 of 69

Quote:
i just got the monster turbine gold,  i know it has lifetime warranty on them, but you still pay shipping to send them back to monster

right out of box i experience the driver flex on both ear pieces, the flex is much worse than my last pair of jamz.

do all the closed IEMs have this driver flex?

You don't have to pay shipping back to monster for warranty repairs. Just explicitly ask them for a shipping label and they'll email you prepaid FedEx postage. 

The Jamz have a bit less driver flex than most closed IEMs but the Golds weren't too bad when I had them. There are others that have even less flex (e.g. Hifiman phones, Senn's IE series, Atrio M8, Ety MC5).

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #6 of 69
monster ranks the worst in terms of driver flex IMO, almost every phone I have tried suffers from this issue, interestingly enough, as ljokerl has pointed out in his reviews, the higher end phones actually suffer more from this issue (miles davis tributes being the best example)

Jan 28, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 69
I just got in a pair of IE7s and I'm experiencing driver flex on both sides. I'm getting them replaced, but I'm figuring the new pair will likely have the same problem. Is it really true that it doesn't affect the sound quality or lifetime of iems? That crinkling sound just makes me cringe thinking about what's happening to the drivers inside.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #8 of 69

Quote:
I just got in a pair of IE7s and I'm experiencing driver flex on both sides. I'm getting them replaced, but I'm figuring the new pair will likely have the same problem. Is it really true that it doesn't affect the sound quality or lifetime of iems? That crinkling sound just makes me cringe thinking about what's happening to the drivers inside.

it can damage the drivers

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #10 of 69

Quote:

what kinda warranty do ie7 have? do they have more bass then the gold? or m2 or portapro

Quote:
monster ranks the worst in terms of driver flex IMO, almost every phone I have tried suffers from this issue, interestingly enough, as ljokerl has pointed out in his reviews, the higher end phones actually suffer more from this issue (miles davis tributes being the best example)

Quote:
Quote:

i agree, its like a comment sense ,  it sounds horrible when the flex happens

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #11 of 69
My Brainwavz M2's don't do this, but I did experience this with a pair of crappy Skullcandy Titans.

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #13 of 69
yea i think the M2's are technically ported.

Quote:
i got the m2  ,  they would never do it , cuz there are 2 holes on the housing to prevent that from happening

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 69

Quote:
yea i think the M2's are technically ported.

Quote:
i got the m2  ,  they would never do it , cuz there are 2 holes on the housing to prevent that from happening

that actually makes sense, though it does come at the cost of decreased isolation and more wind noise

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #15 of 69

Quote:
Quote:

what kinda warranty do ie7 have? do they have more bass then the gold? or m2 or portapro

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

i agree, its like a comment sense ,  it sounds horrible when the flex happens

IE7s have a 2 year warranty, but not sure if Sennheiser pays for return shipping. I was deciding between the MTPGs and the IE7, but went for the IE7 so I can't give a good comparison to the MTPG.

What's interesting is that the IE7s are ported and they still have the driver flex issue.

Based on the other threads I've read, some people say driver flex damages drivers and others say it doesn't. I'm just wondering whether it should be a deal breaker when choosing an IEM or if it's something people just live with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back