would driver flex finally kill a pair of IEM ?
May 21, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #31 of 69

Quote:
It's definitely not distortion from EQu, and it is also not the same as the little clicking sounds you get when you first make the seal on insertion. It is what it is.

The only time I got clicking from EQu was when it went beyond distortion...  It's not driver flex, driver flex is physical, and must have a physical reason behind it.  Since EQu is just software EQu and doesn't increase output in the headphone jack, it wouldn't be able to come close to messing with the heardware, let alone move the driver. 

May 21, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #33 of 69

Quote:
The only time I got clicking from EQu was when it went beyond distortion...  It's not driver flex, driver flex is physical, and must have a physical reason behind it.  Since EQu is just software EQu and doesn't increase output in the headphone jack, it wouldn't be able to come close to messing with the heardware, let alone move the driver. 

it was volume related, the fact that I was using EQu is coincidental. Please, I'm not stupid. 

Jun 8, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #34 of 69
Ive been through 3 pairs of Monster Turbine Pro Golds for driver flex (That knocks the sound out) and other issues.

3rd was really bad with driver flex and the bass was 0 in one ear, 2nd wouldnt crinkle as much but had lower bass in one ear still, and first crinkled a bit in the right ear mostly and sometimes went out due to the slightest pressure changes (When already in the ear for a while).

I want to say the first pair degraded a bit due to it after 5-6 months, but I cant be sure.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #35 of 69
My Coppers never get driver flex, but the right ear of my Miles Davis always clicks when I insert or remove it from the ear.

It is very annoying and puts me off using them for fear of it killing them.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #36 of 69

Quote:
My Coppers never get driver flex, but the right ear of my Miles Davis always clicks when I insert or remove it from the ear.

It is very annoying and puts me off using them for fear of it killing them.

Lifetime warranty?

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #37 of 69
     Quote:
Lifetime warranty?

The lifetime warranty is great, but I'd rather a product lasted for years without breaking than have to rely on lifetime warranty because it breaks every couple of months. I know my MDs haven't gone faulty a second time (yet), but hearing a click/pop each time I insert them doesn't fill me with confidence.

It is inconvenient having to get an RMA, post it out (I didn't get my postage reimbursed) and waiting for the replacement to come back.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #38 of 69

Quote:
     Quote:

The lifetime warranty is great, but I'd rather a product lasted for years without breaking than have to rely on lifetime warranty because it breaks every couple of months. I know my MDs haven't gone faulty a second time (yet), but hearing a click/pop each time I insert them doesn't fill me with confidence.

It is inconvenient having to get an RMA, post it out (I didn't get my postage reimbursed) and waiting for the replacement to come back.

Its inconvenient, but I think you could get the covered shipping from them.  It doesnt make much sense to not use something in fear of having to fix it (For a few bucks or a drive to FedEx).  What good is something that isnt broken if its not used?

Jun 9, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #39 of 69
...everytime i put on my IE8's i just push in until i feel a little suction and it usually sounds like a pop noise. Is that damaging the earphone? I thought that was how you knew if you had a good seal or not? Am i missing something?

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #42 of 69

Quote:
anyone? I dont want to mess up my IEM's!

I've had plenty of IEMs with driver flex, but none of them ever did die because of it.  It is possible since the driver does move and the connection can break, but I find that this would still be very hard to do with the tiny force that occurs with driver flex.  The only problems I've had with driver flex are fit problems, where the driver would move and "aim" at a different angle giving the illusion that it is out (but in reality isn't).  If this happens, try to get the driver back by inserting and taking out until it fixes it.

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #43 of 69
I actually just made a topic about this just a few hours ago. I didn't realize that the problem I was having had a name. I[size=10pt] recently ordered and received a pair of the MTPG IEMs from Amazon and I have been having a similar issue with them. When I put the in right IEM or adjust it sometimes the volume shuts off. I will hear a popping sound and then the sound will cut off completely. This only happens on the right earphone. At first I thought it was a fit issue and when I would play around with it it would make another popping sound and then start working. The only difference between what I experienced and what I read in this topic is mine sounded like it was an issue with the cable. When this happens and the sound cuts off I can leave the IEM in my right ear and just slightly adjust the cable on the right side and I[/size][size=10pt]'ll hear a popping and the sound will be back. This makes me think it might not be the driver and be a problem with the connectivity of the cable. Would that make sense?[/size]

Jun 17, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #44 of 69

Quote:
I actually just made a topic about this just a few hours ago. I didn't realize that the problem I was having had a name. I[size=10pt] recently ordered and received a pair of the MTPG IEMs from Amazon and I have been having a similar issue with them. When I put the in right IEM or adjust it sometimes the volume shuts off. I will hear a popping sound and then the sound will cut off completely. This only happens on the right earphone. At first I thought it was a fit issue and when I would play around with it it would make another popping sound and then start working. The only difference between what I experienced and what I read in this topic is mine sounded like it was an issue with the cable. When this happens and the sound cuts off I can leave the IEM in my right ear and just slightly adjust the cable on the right side and I[/size][size=10pt]'ll hear a popping and the sound will be back. This makes me think it might not be the driver and be a problem with the connectivity of the cable. Would that make sense?[/size]

Everything's connected together.  The seal you create on your ear isn't enough to affect the cable, but it is enough to affect the orientation of the driver (IE what direction it faces).  Likewise, an adjustment of a loose cable can also send enough force to send the driver back into the normal position since it's force is enough to affect the orientation of the driver.  Also, when you move the cable, you also move the whole system, which includes the earpiece, that can change the pressure in your ear, thus changing the orientation of the driver.  And on top of that, it can turn out that you just have a bad cable connection, if you truly believe this is the case, contact Monster Cable now to get a replacement.  So what am I trying to say?  It can be everything, including what you think it is, but also other things as well.  You have to test and eliminate one at a time to be entirely sure.

Jun 18, 2011 at 8:00 AM Post #45 of 69
I'm debating on getting a replacement for them or just keeping the pair I have. Based on what everyone is saying it just sounds as if it is a problem with the MTPG's and any pair I get will have this. I wonder if the reason it effects some people and not others is due to the difference in the fits people get. For my own MTPG's the left side fits better than the right and sometimes I really have to jam the right side in my ear deep to get it to stay. This is when I have the popping.clicking and the sound cuts off. Its probably the increased pressure on the right side is causing it to flex and the sound to cut off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back