would driver flex finally kill a pair of IEM ?
Jul 21, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #61 of 69
Quote:
When driver flex occurs, do you need to do anything to unflex them back to normal?

Not really.  Once air pressure equalizes, the driver will unflex itself unless the driver itself is defective.  If htey are flexed while in your ear, you need to break the seal the tip creates with your ear and reseal.  This can be done by pulling the top flap of your ear and pushing the IEM downward or by pulling the bottom lobe of your ear and pushing the IEM upward.  Then release the IEM and release the your ear to reseal. 

Jul 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #62 of 69
After a really good seal enough pressure will start to escape so they will either crackle really loud while in your ears, or when you remove them they will unflex and you may never even know it happened. I only encountered this with a cheap pair of skullcandy ink'd which weren't properly vented like most earphones are.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #63 of 69
I've tried many tips and ways to fit the tips properly in my ears with the KEF M200. Movements of the jaw would induce driver flex(clicking sound) so I probably adjusted once every 30 minutes on average. This includes eating snacks and whatnot. Could this driver flex be the reason why the 10mm Low Frequency Dynamic Driver on the left side of M200 died on me in less than 2 weeks? So no bass on the left side, but everything else still works fine including the 5.5mm Mid/High Frequency Dynamic Driver on the left (Dual Dynamic Drivers). 
I'm having them replaced now and I'm worried if the driver flex could have killed my M200? In less than 2 weeks!

Sep 6, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #64 of 69
I don't think driver flex would completely kill it, but perhaps cause the driver to deform and have a distorting sound? But I could be wrong

Oct 30, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #66 of 69
I was just wondering about this myself, I got a pair of Awei ES800M and really liked them but I had that same clicking/popping sound whenever I moved my jaw, just as someone described above. I was eating a chicken sandwich and listening to some tunes and BAM, left side went out and won't come back. I have a pair of Jlab J3's that did the same thing. Left side again.

May 4, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #67 of 69
I have several pairs of iems with "driver flex". It's just the driver being pushed because of the pressure in your ear canal, which is also an indication of a good seal. Insert your iem slowly (and properly as I will explain) into your ear without ramming it into your brain and driver flex will not happen, and if it does it won't cause your iems to break.

If the sound is muffled or quieter in the side that had driver flex, it means that the driver has been pushed out of it's normal functioning position. Try wiggling it in your ear to even the pressure, or try pulling it out of your ear and/or try reinserting it. In extreme cases where it has jammed, try blowing into the canal or sucking the air out of the Iem via the canal. I only suggest this as a last resort, as that could cause damage to your iems.

If you are ramming the iem into your ear hard enough that you're permanently damaging your drivers, I would be more concerned about the damage you are doing to your eardrums rather than a replaceable pair of earphones.

The best way to insert iems is lift the top of your ear with your opposite side hand (which opens the ear canal) and carefully inserting the ear bud into your ear, then letting go with the opposite hand once the iem is in the desired position. The canal will close around the ear tip, creating a better seal than just shoving them in your ears.

Jul 16, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #68 of 69
I have several pairs of iems with "driver flex". It's just the driver being pushed because of the pressure in your ear canal, which is also an indication of a good seal. Insert your iem slowly (and properly as I will explain) into your ear without ramming it into your brain and driver flex will not happen, and if it does it won't cause your iems to break.

If the sound is muffled or quieter in the side that had driver flex, it means that the driver has been pushed out of it's normal functioning position. Try wiggling it in your ear to even the pressure, or try pulling it out of your ear and/or try reinserting it. In extreme cases where it has jammed, try blowing into the canal or sucking the air out of the Iem via the canal. I only suggest this as a last resort, as that could cause damage to your iems.

If you are ramming the iem into your ear hard enough that you're permanently damaging your drivers, I would be more concerned about the damage you are doing to your eardrums rather than a replaceable pair of earphones.

The best way to insert iems is lift the top of your ear with your opposite side hand (which opens the ear canal) and carefully inserting the ear bud into your ear, then letting go with the opposite hand once the iem is in the desired position. The canal will close around the ear tip, creating a better seal than just shoving them in your ears.

I can confirm this, i had driver flex on my E10's recently and soon the sound used to just disappear in between and would come back if i re-adjust the drivers in my ear, confirmed with that annoying pop sound of flexing..
What i did was just sucked in and out of the canal a couple of times really hard, and it fixed the flex, no more popping sound now, and right side after that seems to just work fine, driver fortunately wasn't damaged.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back