Worth it to get cheap customs?
Feb 14, 2010 at 3:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

lozanoa11

100+ Head-Fier
I have wanted to get a good portable setup for a while but do not have a large use for it. I just found out Im going to africa again that includes a 16 hour flight :O, and want something good for that.
The custom IEM look very attractive to me but the price is not so attractive.

I see some cheap ones are around $250 and I suppose I could spend that. But would I be better off spending that much on universal IEM?

I listen to Hard Rock, Classic Rock, ska and some Post-Rock. I have a Zune HD and a broken 5.5th gen Ipod that I plan to fix and fit with a larger Hdd. Only high quality Mp3 and flac. I would be willing to get an amp also.

Thanks!

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #2 of 20
I'm not so sure the lower level customs are worth it anymore. In the past I was thinking about getting them now there are companies that reshell most universals. It's over 250 however for the most part but if you are willing to buy an amp would you considering buying a high end universal and then having them reshelled into a custom iem instead of a lower end custom plus an amp?

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #3 of 20
Well I think you can basically answer this question for yourself.

The more you pay for the customs, the better your music will sound; however you might not get *500* dollars of SQ improvement out of your music but the more expensive pair will definitely sound better.
IMO if you are going to use them a lot after and before the flight I would just go ahead and get the higher end models if I had the extra money laying around. You can always get them remolded later in the future.....

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #5 of 20
I did not know that you could remold them. What about buying used and having that done? How much does that generally cost?

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 20
I think lower end customs are worth it. Just because they're low end customs, doesn't mean low end in absolute terms. It's not just SQ, but isolation, build quality, and comfort.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:19 AM Post #8 of 20
I would suggest buying some TF10's, as they are pretty cheap right now, and have them remolded into customs.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #9 of 20
I have no clue on the subject but what is the total cost beside the IEM and the custom mold? Say a cheap IEM like RE0 which is $80 plus Fisher hearing mold which is another $80. What are the other costs?

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #10 of 20
Well I think the RE0 is a single driver IEM which some people might suggest not having molded into customs. Most people usually have dual or triple drivers remolded. Correct me if I am wrong...

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by NumLock /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What are the other costs?

Audiologist appointment, cost of impressions, cost of paying for shipping and possibly having to get impressions done again if there's a problem (though that can sometimes be done for free, depending on the circumstance and with whom you're working).

I wouldn't get customs at that price. You can get better sounding, and possibly better isolating universal iems. If you spend the money there, you can always turn them into customs later if you want.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 20
I think any way I do it to do it right its gunna be way more then I want to spend. What do you suggest for my music tastes for under $300 less is better.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:44 AM Post #13 of 20
A lot of people have fitment issues with the triple.fi's. I think they are WONDERFUL for the price. If you can bypass fitment issues with custom molds, it sounds like a winner to me.

Feb 14, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #15 of 20
Well im looking at SuperFi 5 Pro's from a head-fier, would that be a good candidate for a reshell?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back