Worth getting an HD 600 if...
Jan 17, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be able to cancel the shipment and get the 600s, but how universal is the opinion that you guys have stated? I tried the 650s at the store, and loved them, couldn't try the 600s. Will there really be that big of a difference between the two of them as far as ability to find a suitable amp? If I loved the 650s will I love the 600s? You guys are saying that they sound very different.

Also I've read other thread on here where people say that the 650s are just as easy, if not easier to amp than the 600s. Granted you are saying that the 650s are pickier about the amp, not that they are harder to run, but how noticeable will that be?

The HD600's are easier (and cheaper) to get sounding right than the HD650s because of their more neutral tone. It's all about synergy. If I were you, I'd follow HeadphoneAddict's advice, he knows what he's talking about. That's not to say you won't enjoy the HD650. I personally think they're a bit better than the HD600 technically, but it takes some work to get them to sound energetic and with the wrong source/amp they can be downright boring.

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #62 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for me, I wont buy the HD595 or HD555. I spent some time with well broken-in demos at the local hi-fi store on several occasions, and their almost fresh out of the box Denon D2000 destroyed them sonically. Maybe those would be better for you, since they don't require an amp.

Have you actually heard any of these headphones? Can you get to a local meet to hear more headphones?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terrible. Hones, but very, very basic product. Why go to all the trouble - just buy a great phnoe that doesn't need amping?

Why buy a Ferrari and say. "I just have to have one of these, but 1st or 2nd gear will be fast enough for me"

I suggested that possibility before. See above.

Quote:

I might be able to cancel the shipment and get the 600s, but how universal is the opinion that you guys have stated? I tried the 650s at the store, and loved them, couldn't try the 600s. Will there really be that big of a difference between the two of them as far as ability to find a suitable amp? If I loved the 650s will I love the 600s? You guys are saying that they sound very different.

Also I've read other thread on here where people say that the 650s are just as easy, if not easier to amp than the 600s. Granted you are saying that the 650s are pickier about the amp, not that they are harder to run, but how noticeable will that be?

Again, I can't help much because I have only heard them sound good on 3 out of 10-15 amps that I tried them on - Zana Deux, Beta 22, and Headroom Balanced Desktop.

Previously you only admitted to hearing the HD595, so much of this was based on that. If you tried the HD650 and loved them, then also buy the matching amp and source that made them sound good to you, and then quit up head-fi or your wallet will kill you and leave the corpse out to dry. The saying around here is, "Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet."

Jan 17, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #63 of 90
Quote:

I suggested that possibility before. See above.

Again, I can't help much because I have only heard them sound good on 3 out of 10-15 amps that I tried them on - Zana Deux, Beta 22, and Headroom Balanced Desktop.

Previously you only admitted to hearing the HD595, so much of this was based on that. If you tried the HD650 and loved them, then also buy the matching amp and source that made them sound good to you, and then quit up head-fi or your wallet will kill you and leave the corpse out to dry. The saying around here is, "Welcome to Head-Fi, and sorry about your wallet."

Yeah honestly. That was the plan once I settled on an amp.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #65 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drubbing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Terrible. Hones, but very, very basic product. Why go to all the trouble - just buy a great phnoe that doesn't need amping?

Why buy a Ferrari and say. "I just have to have one of these, but 1st or 2nd gear will be fast enough for me"

Could you recommend another headphone that would give me that creamy, fully tone I liked in the 650s without an amp?

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #66 of 90
Sure... get them and enjoy them with a less expensive amp. They are great phones and you will enjoy them. You can always upgrade your amp and get a dac later.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #67 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Palpatine /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure... get them and enjoy them with a less expensive amp. They are great phones and you will enjoy them. You can always upgrade your amp and get a dac later.

Thank you! That goes for the 650s too right?

Jan 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #68 of 90
Quote:

It's too bad that you didn't get to compare the two headphones directly for yourself because from my experience, it's different strokes for different folks. I prefer my HD600s, but a friend has the 650s and we each prefer our own cans. And that is what I have read on Head-fi as well, that you prefer one or the other, or maybe you prefer Grados, but not everybody likes the same thing
popcorn.gif
!

Jan 19, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #69 of 90
Quote:

I did a review of the uDAC, and somewhere in the review thread added my impressions of it with the HD600. A link to all my reviews is in my public profile "about me".

I do not like HD650. If I did I would have recommended them. But I did not recommend them. I would not drive an HD650 with anything less than a $1000 Headroom Balanced Dekstop amp. Do not ask me about HD650, or I will curl up into a ball and hide.

Larry,

First, I am new here but want to thank you for putting so much time and effort into this. The information that you provide is very helpful, especially when there is really no place to audition gear locally.

I have narrowed my search to the Sennheiser 650's or 600's and from what you say above, I probaly should avoid the 650's as they are sensitive to amps and DAC's.

I have been into audio my whole life and have a respectable system for music. I want something to use while in my bedroom while my wife is watching tv and I do not feel like listenign to my main rig. So my source is my server and my laptop (1 year old Gateway FWIW) listening to MP3's at 192 or higher, and a lot of FLAC and other lossless. Most of my music is on vinyl so ripping it to my server is really not going to happen. When I want really high resolution I will use my main system. Problem is that I am used to the detailed audiophile sound and soundstage. I also listen on my main system at mid 70's to 80's DB and when I play really loud, never past say mid 90's, so I do not listen that loud.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 580's on loan from a friend and they are quite good with my laptop, just lacking in the bass. I cannot find an EQ or tone control in Vista but that probably would not solve the problem as they usually create more problems than they solve. At the volume that I listen, they also are OK being open backed as my wife has said that they do not bother her.

So now I assume that an amp will help the bass response. The NuForce comes highly reccommended, but should I go for something more expensive? I had a Benchmark DAC1 a few years ago but never used its headphone jacks. I read here that the Benchmark's headphone amp is not all that great, which surprises me as it is a great DAC. I really do not want to spend that much either. I also sold the Benchmark DAC1 and bought a Musical Fidelity A3.24 which is a warm sounding and great DAC (Musical Fidelity's higher end products are quite good, don't know about their lower priced lines).

So the question is, using my laptop USB out, is the NuForce uDAC the way to go with the HD600's, or is there something, maybe used that will be better for not that much more? Say, if I spent $400 or $500 on new or used, will I get that much better, and will it matter with MP3's and lossless? I do not need portable as this is for my bedroom.

I assume that you will reccomend the HD600's and NuForce uDAC with my source material and volume levels.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #70 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerwoodkhorns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,

First, I am new here but want to thank you for putting so much time and effort into this. The information that you provide is very helpful, especially when there is really no place to audition gear locally.

I have narrowed my search to the Sennheiser 650's or 600's and from what you say above, I probaly should avoid the 650's as they are sensitive to amps and DAC's.

I have been into audio my whole life and have a respectable system for music. I want something to use while in my bedroom while my wife is watching tv and I do not feel like listenign to my main rig. So my source is my server and my laptop (1 year old Gateway FWIW) listening to MP3's at 192 or higher, and a lot of FLAC and other lossless. Most of my music is on vinyl so ripping it to my server is really not going to happen. When I want really high resolution I will use my main system. Problem is that I am used to the detailed audiophile sound and soundstage. I also listen on my main system at mid 70's to 80's DB and when I play really loud, never past say mid 90's, so I do not listen that loud.

I have a pair of Sennheiser 580's on loan from a friend and they are quite good with my laptop, just lacking in the bass. I cannot find an EQ or tone control in Vista but that probably would not solve the problem as they usually create more problems than they solve. At the volume that I listen, they also are OK being open backed as my wife has said that they do not bother her.

So now I assume that an amp will help the bass response. The NuForce comes highly reccommended, but should I go for something more expensive? I had a Benchmark DAC1 a few years ago but never used its headphone jacks. I read here that the Benchmark's headphone amp is not all that great, which surprises me as it is a great DAC. I really do not want to spend that much either. I also sold the Benchmark DAC1 and bought a Musical Fidelity A3.24 which is a warm sounding and great DAC (Musical Fidelity's higher end products are quite good, don't know about their lower priced lines).

So the question is, using my laptop USB out, is the NuForce uDAC the way to go with the HD600's, or is there something, maybe used that will be better for not that much more? Say, if I spent $400 or $500 on new or used, will I get that much better, and will it matter with MP3's and lossless? I do not need portable as this is for my bedroom.

I assume that you will reccomend the HD600's and NuForce uDAC with my source material and volume levels.

I've not heard a DAC1 yet.

I have the HD600 with a 4-foot APS V3 cable plugged into the uDAC right now, listening to some Shota Osabe Piano Trio, and normal listening volume is set at about 12 o'clock on the volume. It's loud enough at 2-3 o'clock, and louder than I care for at 4-5 o'clock, with no distortion. I think I am getting close to 100dB region at 5 o'clock. It doesn't get loud enough to be painful, and I might be getting 115-118 dB from my desktop amps.

At these levels the bass is strong and full, at low or high volume, and with the APS V3 cable installed the highs are great with the uDAC. I always felt the stock cable slightly rolled off or recessed the highs slightly, but not to the degree of the HD650. So a $25 HD650 cable on the HD600 is a decent upgrade and could save you buying a $200 cable for a while, since I did feel it added a little detail, bass and sparkle to the HD600.

So, the low level detail retrieval with the uDAC and re-cabled HD600 in quiet volume jazz, classical and new age music is nice. I could turn the volume knob down to 10 o'clock and listen quietly, and I don't feel like I am missing much. No, it's not as detailed as my Apogee > Woo WA6, but it's pretty darn good enough to make me happy.

My Infected Mushroom "Dancing with the Kadafi" isn't recorded at as high of a level as this jazz music, and I will often have to go as high as 3 or 4 o'clock on the uDAC with infected mushroom, but I can feel the bass with the HD600. I can actually turn the volume knob to 5 o'clock and then go into iTunes and choose 120% volume and it gets a bit louder without clipping. A portable DAC/amp with a 9v power supply, or a desktop amp would add a bit more thump at the higher volumes where the uDAC works a lot harder to keep up.

After listening to the music above at these high levels, my ears needed a rest for 30 seconds . After that I found that normal listening volumes with the jazz had creeped up a bit to 1-2 o'clock on the knob, because my ears had adjusted to the louder levels. So, with your volume levels you should be just fine. But, later, if you do want more power you could get a Grahm Slee NOVO to feed the uDAC into and still be within your $450-500 budget. The NOVO fed by my Apogee mini-DAC sounded good with HD600 and had gobs of power that could give you tinnitus. The uDAC should warm up the NOVO nicely and was a little better sounding than the Apogee mini-DAC's headphone out. There are actually many $180-$400 amps that you could feed the uDAC into for a power upgrade that would get along with the HD600. The HD600 and uDAC wont make 192K MP3 sound terrible, but you will be able to tell between a 192K and a FLAC. I wont go less than 320K these days, and my electrostatic rig tears apart 256K MP3 - yuck.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #71 of 90
Larry,

Thank you. You really thoroughly answered my question. The uDAC will have plenty of power as I do not ever listen above about 90 or 95 db. I have mild tinnitus so as I get older I am even more careful with volume.

You also stated that the uDAC will not overly resolve 192K MP3's. High end gear is great at resolving details but makes many sources unlistenable. The uDAC seems like it shuould do wel but not destroy my listening to a lot of my source material. For $100 I can also use it for travel.

I have been restoring speakers and building crossovers and cables for years. I'll have to look around for an amp project in the future, maybe a headphone switching amp or tube amp project.

Thanks again for the info.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:16 AM Post #72 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerwoodkhorns /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,

Thank you. You really thoroughly answered my question. The uDAC will have plenty of power as I do not ever listen above about 90 or 95 db. I have mild tinnitus so as I get older I am even more careful with volume.

You also stated that the uDAC will not overly resolve 192K MP3's. High end gear is great at resolving details but makes many sources unlistenable. The uDAC seems like it shuould do wel but not destroy my listening to a lot of my source material. For $100 I can also use it for travel.

I have been restoring speakers and building crossovers and cables for years. I'll have to look around for an amp project in the future, maybe a headphone switching amp or tube amp project.

Thanks again for the info.

No, I said, "The HD600 and uDAC wont make 192K MP3 sound terrible, but you will be able to tell between a 192K and a FLAC." To clarify, it's the combo of the two pieces of gear that makes 192K tolerable, but it's resolving enough that I can tell whether it is lossless or 192K. But, I understand what you mean.
tongue.gif

Cheers!

Jan 19, 2010 at 7:24 AM Post #74 of 90
I can't believe 2 hours later I'm still listening to the uDAC > HD600 right now, when I could be listening to my Apogee mini-DAC > Woo WA6 if I was in the mood to let it warm up...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back