Worth getting an HD 600 if...
Jan 12, 2010 at 8:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 90

Melanter

100+ Head-Fier
Is it worth getting the Senn HD 600s if I'm only going to spend around $100 on a DAC/amp combo and not replace the cord? Would I be better off with the 595s?

Same question for the AKG 701/601, do either of these require an expensive amp etc to be worthwhile?

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #3 of 90
it all boils down to what you've heard. if your reference is a very expensive and resolving speaker system and you decided to drop just a fraction of that on phones plus related equipment you might be quite disappointed. That being said, if this is your first venture into hi fi and you are simply replacing your ipod headphones with this setup then you might be quite satisfied as they will sound worlds better than your original setup. Once you drop some more cash you will instantly see the benefits of "higher end" equipment, but that won't be realized unless you have this comparison at hand. For the budget your suggesting I would definitely choose the senns over the akg's. The senns are higher impedance and much easier to drive when compared to the akg's. Plus the akg's are really sticklers for nice equipment as they tend to suffer otherwise.

Jan 12, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #4 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by colinharding /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it all boils down to what you've heard. if your reference is a very expensive and resolving speaker system and you decided to drop just a fraction of that on phones plus related equipment you might be quite disappointed. That being said, if this is your first venture into hi fi and you are simply replacing your ipod headphones with this setup then you might be quite satisfied as they will sound worlds better than your original setup. Once you drop some more cash you will instantly see the benefits of "higher end" equipment, but that won't be realized unless you have this comparison at hand. For the budget your suggesting I would definitely choose the senns over the akg's. The senns are higher impedance and much easier to drive when compared to the akg's. Plus the akg's are really sticklers for nice equipment as they tend to suffer otherwise.

Very well said. To that end, I would say go for the HD600 over the HD595, you won't be disappointed.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #7 of 90
Quote:

I guess what I'm trying to get at is are the HD600s with a cheap amp something bad, or just something less good?

No they'll be fine - I sometimes plug mine straight into my iHP140 and they deal with it well enough. They scale well too - meaning that should you decide to upgrade DAC / amps etc - the HD600's will respond in the positive. Also don't worry about the stock lead - it's fine. Upgrading the cable does yeld small incremental improvements, but it's nowhere near as 'night and day' as some folk suggest. Going from zero to HD600's gives you by far and away the biggest jump in satisfaction - upping the cable arguably gives you a maximum 2 ~ 3% more.

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #8 of 90
The hd 595 isn't really that much of an excellent headphone, the hd600 is. As long as you've got something else than your ipod's amplifier, i think it'll beat the 595

Jan 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 90
Get the hd600

I bought the HD580 six years ago and it turned out to be a wonderful investment that kept on giving. If I bought something that was considered lesser quality I would of always wondered "what if" with the HD580. An entry level amp/dac will play really nice with the hd600, but if you decide to upgrade down the road your hd600 will be there eager to please. For $100 the Nuforce uDac seems very popular, if you are using a computer as a source, and compares favorably to more expensive dacs.

Jan 12, 2010 at 10:20 AM Post #10 of 90
They're good headphones, better than the HD595. Theres no problems with getting a cheap amp (unless you've already set some higher expectations) but you will be tempted to upgrade :p

They're by no means a bad headphone with a cheap amp but they could be better

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #11 of 90
good question and i'm excited by the answers. i've been using hd595s for years (almost 5 now) and i've been really pleased but i'm FINALLY upgrading to hd600s and i'm realllllly excited.

i always think it's better to go with better equipment and upgrade a component at a time. therefore, you can have a better system in the long run with less money spent. so, go with the hd600 and the udac and "cheap" amp, that'll be a nice start for awhile. then, you can upgrade the dac and amp one at a time and you're set. (until upgrade-itus hits again
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jan 13, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
good question and i'm excited by the answers. i've been using hd595s for years (almost 5 now) and i've been really pleased but i'm FINALLY upgrading to hd600s and i'm realllllly excited.

You might as well sell the 595s. Once you've heard the 600s it's hard to put them back on your head.

Jan 13, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #13 of 90
My HD600s were way too bright (too the point of pain) until I properly amped them; the cheap portable or hybrid won't cut it with them IMO as they are very picky, and a cable upgrade can be tempting as well.

I have read and heard that the HD595s are much more forgiving in these respects, I know that my 555s were but I'm glad they're gone. The trade off IMO is that when you do get the right amp for the HD600s they will show the most benefit; hope this helps.

Jan 13, 2010 at 11:36 AM Post #14 of 90
Buy the HD600 or 701s, deal with using them "improperly", then buy a nice amp when you get the money.

This seems like the best thing to do, just realize that eventually you're going to have to shell out the dough for a nice amp. Maybe you should do some research on what pairs up with them nicely amp-wise.

Personally I'd go in this order:

1. Headphones
2. Amp
3. Source [DAC]
4. Cables, mods, pads, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back