WORST headphone you ever heard?
Jul 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #166 of 1,786
A few other recent favorites...

AKG K430

Supra-aural headphone. I got them for $30 and sold them for way less.

Numark Redwave

I understand many like it, but I found it severely muffled. Not as bad as the Kicker HP541. It's a bit better when you remove the fabric.

DT-990 Pro

Wow, where did my mids go? I had the DT-770 Pro 80 at the same time and preferred that by far.
I used the DT-990 250ohm version for years and never had problems so what the heck was going on here?!

I still think that if you want to torture me, lock me in a room with the D1100 strapped to my head.
To think that I almost spent the money on the super fancy edition.

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:52 AM Post #167 of 1,786
I've tried many headphones over the years and found Skullcandy to be the most disappointing, but decent for the price.

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jul 7, 2012 at 5:32 AM Post #170 of 1,786
A pair of HD555's my friend has. When it comes to rock, dnb and pop, the soundstage makes the music sound like it's missing so much. It does however sound good, comparable to my ATH-M50s to instrumental and post-rock.

Jul 7, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #171 of 1,786
hands down:  Klipsch image s4's.
 Sibilance, sibilance, booooom, boooooommmm, mids? bleh, we don't need no stinking mids!

I'm with you, but the UE10s are WORSE. Ne'er been so disappointed.

Jul 7, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #172 of 1,786
Other than no-name crap, worst headphones I've heard are ATH-M50s. Mids way too recessed, treble far too harsh.

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM Post #174 of 1,786
I'm jealous of people who's worst headphones are 150$ ones :D

other than the no name **** that usually came with cheap radio/mp3 players, the worst thing (and maybe even worse than those no name buds) that I've heard was Microlab K290. the sound was very tiny, muddy, harsh and so bad, that it made my ears bleed... to give you a better perspective, the buds that came with my clip+ were like some audiophile monitors compared to that. to think that I had to live with that piece of **** for about a year makes me cringe...

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #175 of 1,786
HD228 until I took all the foam crap out.

Jul 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #176 of 1,786
Quote:
Not sure if the Solos are the worst headphones I've heard, but they are probably the worst $200 headphones I've heard.

I work at an electronics retailer and when they were still new on the market, I was often asked to wear a pair of Solos around the store. I was supposed to have music playing into them with them around my neck, ready to listen to (to attract attention) or to give to a customer for a listen.

Needless to say, they spent 99% of their time around my neck with the audio jack sitting in my pocket, unplugged. I made the mistake of using them when I went for a break to a nearby food court and well ... never again.

Funny story though - our pair had a problem with the headband and it didn't quite fit properly. I actually got into the habit of saying "Go ahead and try them, they are sort of broken though" as I'd hand them to customers. Although the sound was unaffected by the problem, I smiled widely each time a customer handed them back to me, grimacing, and commenting "Yeah, I can tell, the sound is all messed up." :D

Hahaha... ^ I like this one ^

I was at a retail store sampling beats line once wondering what all the fuss was about, Solos sounded pretty bad to my ears, though as I went up towards the Studio and finally Detox I couldn't believe what I was hearing whilst looking at the price tag. They were really tinny and I question whether they were faulty to this day. I only kept them on for a about 15 seconds before one of the sales assistants turned around and said to me "come 'on they can't be that bad" with a huge grin on his face. He'd seen my face cringing while I was testing them. 

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #177 of 1,786
Just dug out a pair of Coby earbuds I got a long time ago to replace my broken apple buds. I got them at a local drug store because they were just 7 bucks. Plugged them in a few minutes ago... Why did I even bother? Sooooo bad. :/

Jul 8, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #178 of 1,786
I really dislike Beats studio or solos, even skullcandy or cheap earbuds sound better.

I normally bring my HD650 to school with a portable amp to study. One day one of my classmates came to the table I was with his new beats studio and told me "you should save some money and get headphones like these, wanna try them?"...After I politely said no, he told me that I should really consider them since that way I would stop carrying an amp and worthless cables because the beats have a built in amp...

Jul 8, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #180 of 1,786
Hmm - I would say a pair of cheap Sony buds.  I actually have no idea how they sound.  I didn't realize they were J-wires, and before I could even get them on, I pulled on the short side and the bud pulled off in my hand...  
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back