WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Oct 30, 2013 at 9:55 PM Post #631 of 2,600
Use high impedance with HD650. Also in order for WASP I event to work go to School website and download their driver instead. During installation you will need to remove old driver first than install the new one

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #632 of 2,600
Thanks Olegausany for the input.  For the website, did u mean to write the "Schiit" website and use the Schiit Unified USB drivers?  If so, I guess I can remove the Woo Audio-provided driver and install the Schiit USB 2.0 driver, but the WA7 uses the C-Media 6631 USB chip and I'm not sure which USB chip the Schiit line uses.

Has anyone else had luck with this setup?

-M76NYC

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #633 of 2,600
  Thanks Olegausany for the input.  For the website, did u mean to write the "Schiit" website and use the Schiit Unified USB drivers?  If so, I guess I can remove the Woo Audio-provided driver and install the Schiit USB 2.0 driver, but the WA7 uses the C-Media 6631 USB chip and I'm not sure which USB chip the Schiit line uses.

Has anyone else had luck with this setup?

-M76NYC

I'm also using the Schiit driver and got no problems with WASAPI Event mode. They use the same USB controller.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #634 of 2,600
Thanks for the confirmation PleasantSounds.  I will change the driver, see if it works for me and see if I hear any change.

-M76NYC

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #635 of 2,600
Oh man. My fireflies arrived on tuesday, it's the best amp i've ever had. I have a Swans M50W connected via RCA. I just flip a switch in the back and switch from speakers to headphone. also, having 0 noise at almost all volumes on the headphones is massive. My last two amp setups(schiit Lyr + Bifrost, hifiman he5) had alot of noise. Listened with Shure SE535-CL and LCD-2's so far and it drives both nicely.

Oct 31, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #636 of 2,600
  Oh man. My fireflies arrived on tuesday, it's the best amp i've ever had. I have a Swans M50W connected via RCA. I just flip a switch in the back and switch from speakers to headphone. also, having 0 noise at almost all volumes on the headphones is massive. My last two amp setups(schiit Lyr + Bifrost, hifiman he5) had alot of noise. Listened with Shure SE535-CL and LCD-2's so far and it drives both nicely.

Congrats. Mine is very quiet too.

How would you compare WA7 to Lyr+Bifrost combo?

Oct 31, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #637 of 2,600
  Congrats. Mine is very quiet too.

How would you compare WA7 to Lyr+Bifrost combo?

The only noticeable difference from a memory standpoint is sometimes the Lyr made my LCD-2s trebles sound harsher than it does with the WA7 and comparable volumes. I honestly can't tell the difference in the sound quality(besides how quiet it is) because I sold the Lyr +Bifrost before the WA7 came in. So no side by side comparison for me. I switched because besides my LCD-2s I'm becoming more of an IEM guy and you couldn't listen to IEMs with the Lyr at all, even turned all the way down.

Oct 31, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #638 of 2,600
  When you look at the tubes, you say one looks slightly darker than the other. Are you describing the condition of the tube when off, or the filament brightness when on?

Without other information, I'd say you have one tube that probably had a manufacturing defect. Welcome to the wonderful world of tubes. I bought 4 NOS Chatham 2399 tubes for my WA3. Two sounded pretty good, with a little residual noise, one sounded very good, and one had a manufacturing defect that caused it to arc over, causing the connected headphones to make a VERY LOUD POP as if someone had fired a .22 caliber revolver. My rule is to test unknown tubes with an inexpensive and disposable headphone before connecting the really good ones. All had tested good by the seller.

The quieter tube was darker when off inside, a darker color not as shiney the metal plates etc.  When turned on the darker tube actually is brighter glowing with about twice the glow of the other.  It has always had more glow.

Oct 31, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #639 of 2,600
  The quieter tube was darker when off inside, a darker color not as shiney the metal plates etc.  When turned on the darker tube actually is brighter glowing with about twice the glow of the other.  It has always had more glow.

If you switch the tubes between channels, does the one with more glow stay with the tube or the channel? If the darkened glass tube has more glow in the other channel, then I think you have a tube that will fail prematurely. It happens. If the other tube (normal looking glass, not darkened) becomes brighter when the switched between channels, then that channel may be putting out a high filament voltage.

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #640 of 2,600
good idea!  will check tomorrow and then assuming it is just the tube swap out with a new set i had bought for emergencies (is making me feel clever now) otherwise I should talk to Woo first so I don't damage another set.  I should assume if the amp is putting a high voltage to the tube that would cause this premature death he would cover fixing that and replacing the tubes seems reasonable?

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #641 of 2,600
My WA7 is being delivered on Monday. Can't wait! 
basshead.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #642 of 2,600
Checked and it is the tube which is brighter, not the socket causing the tube to be brighter.  Swapped in the spare set of Cryoset tubes I bought and it is back to sounding great again... even better then the original EH tubes Woo sent me.  Could be my reaction to slowly losing quality on those tubes or perhaps the Cryoset really do just sound better. So I guess the question becomes are the original EH tubes purchased through Woo warranteed at all? They expired unusually fast and were pretty costly so I am hoping there is something to be recovered here. They were clearly defective as these sound much better then those ever did.

Nov 4, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #643 of 2,600
WA7 came in today. Man this thing is built like a tank lol, didn't expect it to be as heavy as it is. Set up went fairly smoothly... the tubes were a bit a pain to get in (I was afraid I would break them if I applied too much force). The DAC portion didn't show up initially but the user manual pointed me to the USB drivers on the Woo website. Installed that and all is well 
biggrin.gif

Starting to listen now 
gs1000.gif

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #644 of 2,600
Checked and it is the tube which is brighter, not the socket causing the tube to be brighter.  Swapped in the spare set of Cryoset tubes I bought and it is back to sounding great again... even better then the original EH tubes Woo sent me.  Could be my reaction to slowly losing quality on those tubes or perhaps the Cryoset really do just sound better. So I guess the question becomes are the original EH tubes purchased through Woo warranteed at all? They expired unusually fast and were pretty costly so I am hoping there is something to be recovered here. They were clearly defective as these sound much better then those ever did.

The good news is nothing wrong with the WA7. Tubes are not very far removed from incandescent light bulbs. Happy listening!

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #645 of 2,600
  my WA7 will be with jack for service in few hours or tomorrow in case Jack wasn't around atm :p  took 3 days to reach USA :D send it from Dubai :p  hope it get fixed in 2-3 days max so i send  it back using fedex.

So wassup Shini44? It's been almost a week. All fixed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back