WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
Nov 7, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #661 of 2,600

nope, just plug and play... this is the fundamental beauty of the WA7, sounding great as is.

repped, thanks. If that's the case, what should my progression be for things i need...
possibly upgrade tubes and add PSU
usb cables/dac? if so, what dac would be ideal? Seems like people have mixed feelings on the wa7 dac

You will must likely have to download the drivers for the DAC to work, or atleast I had to.

Nov 8, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #663 of 2,600
  You will must likely have to download the drivers for the DAC to work, or atleast I had to.

For Windows you do... Mac is plug n play I believe.

Nov 8, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #664 of 2,600
ok thanks for all the help. I've also been suggested the Schiit Bifrost or Audiogd dac to supplement the wa7, but I think I might just buy the Wa7/tubes upgrade, and an av friendly surge protector.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #666 of 2,600
Honestly, just live with the stock unit for a month or two.  Get to know its sound and nuances with your favorite music and then decide if there is anything lacking.
- A decent USB cable is nice but you don't have to go nuts.  I use an AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable.
- Tubes: Most say they prefer the EH Gold Pins - in my system, I personally prefer the sock tubes
- DAC - Yes, the internal DAC is probably not up to par relative to the amp - I've tried a few but stayed with the internal DAC - YMMV
What headphones will you be using?  Anyway, enjoy the journey. The WA7 is a really nice unit.

Quote:

repped, thanks. If that's the case, what should my progression be for things i need...
usb cables/dac? if so, what dac would be ideal? Seems like people have mixed feelings on the wa7 dac

Nov 8, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #668 of 2,600
Well said, MickeyVee. I bought the EH tubes so as not to miss the limited supply. Now with hundreds of hours on the stock Sovteks and I have yet to roll in the EH. T90, HD800, HE-500 all have performed well on the WA7. Using an external Violectric V800 DAC. When taking the WA7 for location listening, the internal DAC is quite satisfactory.

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #670 of 2,600

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #672 of 2,600
The BF Uber is definitely a better DAC but eventually sold it off / traded off for a simpler system. Wish I still had it. 
Never tried the DM Plus.

Quote:

Just curious if you tried Bifrost Uber DacMagic Plus

Nov 8, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #673 of 2,600

I hear no flaw in the DAC and the PSU is more then adequate as is though I hear he is planning a tube based PSU I wouldn't worry at all to be honest.  One thing I found to be beneficial is to get a usb power isolator like one from hifimediy which works very well and is very reasonable and out of the way.  A 'decent' usb cable plus the conditioner is all I would recommend.  Def. get a couple sets of the EH tubes incase one burns out.  Cryoset was less expensive then through Woo but someone here mentioned they were out of stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back