Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Jan 25, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2,733 of 4,839
IMHO - The SE 6SN7 is a good tube but overpriced (just like the S Princess). For equal or cheaper price there are quite a few better 6SN7's available. RCA red base 5692's are one & few others are ;

Ken Rad VT231 6SN7GT Black Glass

TS BP 6F8G

National Union 6F8G

Sylvania 6F8G

Brimar CV1988

Sylvania Bad Boy 6SN7GT

The above is based on my experience with WA22. You may have to show some patience to snag some of the above at a good price.

I bought a WA22 recently and have developed a taste for the 6F8G. So far I have only tried the National Union and the Raytheon, but I have Sylvania on the way. I've had issues with delicacy though. Have you found that any of them are more prone to damage than the others. I think I have a faulty adaptor. It seems the external wire of one of them may have a break in it causing an arc. I think I've ruined three National Union this way. They still sound good, (they still sound great!) but are noisy during silence. I don't know for a fact that the adaptor is bad. So I'm wondering whether you or anyone else had had issues of delicacy.

Jan 25, 2017 at 4:43 PM Post #2,734 of 4,839
I bought a WA22 recently and have developed a taste for the 6F8G. So far I have only tried the National Union and the Raytheon, but I have Sylvania on the way. I've had issues with delicacy though. Have you found that any of them are more prone to damage than the others. I think I have a faulty adaptor. It seems the external wire of one of them may have a break in it causing an arc. I think I've ruined three National Union this way. They still sound good, (they still sound great!) but are noisy during silence. I don't know for a fact that the adaptor is bad. So I'm wondering whether you or anyone else had had issues of delicacy.

Do all of your 6F8G make noise during silence?
I'm asking because I had issue with some noisy NU 6F8G tubes but finally got a pair which are dead silent. I think there were a few others experiencing this issue with the NU.
Also, if you feel there is a break in one of your adapter leads, switch them so you'll know.
@2359glenn makes excellent 6DE7>6F8G adapters.

Jan 25, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #2,735 of 4,839
Do all of your 6F8G make noise during silence?
I'm asking because I had issue with some noisy NU 6F8G tubes but finally got a pair which are dead silent. I think there were a few others experiencing this issue with the NU.
Also, if you feel there is a break in one of your adapter leads, switch them so you'll know.
@2359glenn
 makes excellent 6DE7>6F8G adapters.

I happen to have just today received another adaptor today in the mail. I ordered it a month and a half ago. I expected it to be cheaply made and am surprised it seems quite substantial. I immediately tried them and the noisy tube is silent again. Seems to be an issue with the adaptor. I know there was arcing. I heard it from other room through my headphones 35ft away. My National Union have all been silent except for the issue with the adaptor. I'm listening right now with the new adaptor and they are beautiful. Glad I didn't ruin them. I liked them so much I ordered four more pair.

Jan 25, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #2,736 of 4,839
I happen to have just today received another adaptor today in the mail. I ordered it a month and a half ago. I expected it to be cheaply made and am surprised it seems quite substantial. I immediately tried them and the noisy tube is silent again. Seems to be an issue with the adaptor. I know there was arcing. I heard it from other room through my headphones 35ft away. My National Union have all been silent except for the issue with the adaptor. I'm listening right now with the new adaptor and they are beautiful. Glad I didn't ruin them. I liked them so much I ordered four more pair.

Arcing? From 35' away…you mean thunder/lightening! 
biggrin.gif

Glad to hear your tubes are good and you've solved the issue, enjoy!

Jan 25, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #2,737 of 4,839
Arcing? From 35' away…you mean thunder/lightening! :D
Glad to hear your tubes are good and you've solved the issue, enjoy!

By the way. I wanted to get mine before I said anything to anyone. I bought 6 pair National Union 6F8G on eBay. From "Radioretail." I was hesitant to do an international purchase (Lithuania) but the tubes are great and the service and communication have been great. I trust this seller. I don't know how many he has left though.

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #2,740 of 4,839
I've posted on another thread but this one seems to be more active.

Here is the post:

There so much information out there that I'm having a hard time getting the specifics of what I'm looking for.  I have a WA6 and a Marantz  HD-DAC1 that I'm using as a source with Kimber RCA's with WBT connectors.  The Headphones are HE X and Audeze EL-8's.  I'm using a Sophia 274B and NOS GE 6FD7's. My problem is that the lower and mid frequencies are spectacular with a lovely sonic signature however the highs are missing a lot of detail.  I know that by doing an A-B between the Marantz AMP/DAC during the same song.  Is there a recommendation for driver tubes that will give me more highs and more high resolution while maintaining the low and mid's?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:08 AM Post #2,741 of 4,839
  I've posted on another thread but this one seems to be more active.

Here is the post:

There so much information out there that I'm having a hard time getting the specifics of what I'm looking for.  I have a WA6 and a Marantz  HD-DAC1 that I'm using as a source with Kimber RCA's with WBT connectors.  The Headphones are HE X and Audeze EL-8's.  I'm using a Sophia 274B and NOS GE 6FD7's. My problem is that the lower and mid frequencies are spectacular with a lovely sonic signature however the highs are missing a lot of detail.  I know that by doing an A-B between the Marantz AMP/DAC during the same song.  Is there a recommendation for driver tubes that will give me more highs and more high resolution while maintaining the low and mid's?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I agree that the SP 274B has a rich sounding mid-range, and I do like it occasionally, but
you might want to replace it with a Brimar 5Z4G from Langrex Tubes (14th tube down). I would let it burn-in and have a listen before changing the 6FD7 tubes.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #2,744 of 4,839
Hi everyone. I just received a pair of Philco 6fd7 fatty driver tubes for my 6SE. At the top end of the gain I hear a noise like a FM radio dial being turned. Snow I guess is the correct term. I haven't heard this noise from my other 6FD7 tubes. Other than the noise they seem to perform nicely. Similar to my RCA's I would say. Any Ideas as to why there is this annoying noise? Are they Bad? I didn't pay much for them so no loss if they were a couple of duds.

Feb 14, 2017 at 5:44 PM Post #2,745 of 4,839
  I agree that the SP 274B has a rich sounding mid-range, and I do like it occasionally, but
you might want to replace it with a Brimar 5Z4G from Langrex Tubes (14th tube down). I would let it burn-in and have a listen before changing the 6FD7 tubes.

I've started using the Hifiman Edition X's exclusively.  The presentation is much richer than the EL-8's. For my WA6,  I received the Brimar 5Z4G and I think that it's equal to the Sophia Princess 274B for a fraction of the price.  I've installed 6SN7's from Langrex also. I have 6F8G's coming in the next week for some tube rolling fun. My bass and Midrange are great with a good soundstage and punch.  However, the treble and resolution and decay are still missing in the A/B between the HD-DAC1.  I just hear layers of more music in the SS amp/dac.  The interconnect is a quality Kimber Silver Streak so I think that maybe the dac isn't delivering the same quality of signal at fixed RCA outputs.  I don't have another DAC to do A/B on.  Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back