Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Feb 14, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #2,746 of 4,839
  I've started using the Hifiman Edition X's exclusively.  The presentation is much richer than the EL-8's. For my WA6,  I received the Brimar 5Z4G and I think that it's equal to the Sophia Princess 274B for a fraction of the price.  I've installed 6SN7's from Langrex also. I have 6F8G's coming in the next week for some tube rolling fun. My bass and Midrange are great with a good soundstage and punch.  However, the treble and resolution and decay are still missing in the A/B between the HD-DAC1.  I just hear layers of more music in the SS amp/dac.  The interconnect is a quality Kimber Silver Streak so I think that maybe the dac isn't delivering the same quality of signal at fixed RCA outputs.  I don't have another DAC to do A/B on.  Any ideas?

Yes, wait until you burn-in the Brimar and receive the 6F8G's before doing anything.
After that, if you feel you need another DAC you could buy my PWD-ll w/Bridge-ll. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #2,748 of 4,839
  So I'm about to pull the trigger on the WA6-SE but I was wondering if there is anything else in this price range that beats it. Is this amp still king of the low $1K tube amp market?

I went through this when I bought the WA6.  I would have gone for the SE, if I could have found one.  There is a dearth of good amps in that range, if your looking for tubes. Plenty of SS stuff, but that wasn't of any interest, as I already had  good SS Amp/Dac..  The sound quality is great and tube"rolling" is entertaining, if expensive. The quality of the build is excellent and very reliable.  You'll love it when you get it.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #2,749 of 4,839
  So I'm about to pull the trigger on the WA6-SE but I was wondering if there is anything else in this price range that beats it. Is this amp still king of the low $1K tube amp market?

Depending on your cans, I'd say top three under $1k are the WA6SE, Feliks Elise, and MAD Ear+ HD/Sugarmaple Sidewinder.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #2,750 of 4,839
  Depending on your cans, I'd say top three under $1k are the WA6SE, Feliks Elise, and MAD Ear+ HD/Sugarmaple Sidewinder.

Have you heard the Sidewinder? There are few if any reviews. I was actually considering another MAD amp, the OD300 which is a dual chassis amp just like the WA6 SE.

The only turn off for the WA6 SE is that matched tubes seem very hard to find online. Is this the case?

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,751 of 4,839
Have you heard the Sidewinder? There are few if any reviews. I was actually considering another MAD amp, the OD300 which is a dual chassis amp just like the WA6 SE.

The only turn off for the WA6 SE is that matched tubes seem very hard to find online. Is this the case?

I've not heard it, but I've had multiple conversations with Dr. Lloyd, and he maintains that it sound is extremely close to the MAD. The main difference between the two is lower output impedance and more power from the sidewinder.

And I don't think I would say it's hard to find matched tubes for the 6SE. They're not the most common, but I would not say hard to find.

Feb 15, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #2,752 of 4,839
I've not heard it, but I've had multiple conversations with Dr. Lloyd, and he maintains that it sound is extremely close to the MAD. The main difference between the two is lower output impedance and more power from the sidewinder.

And I don't think I would say it's hard to find matched tubes for the 6SE. They're not the most common, but I would not say hard to find.

Any suggestions on the best place to find matched tubes?

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #2,755 of 4,839
  The WA6 has more tube rolling options than the SE…just something to keep in mind.

The huge range of rolling choices for the WA6 caused me to select it over the SE some two years ago. Since I bought mine tubes are getting harder to reliably & economically source so this feature of the WA6 gets better with time. Count me as a big plus 1.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #2,756 of 4,839
Just listed a pair of Woo WA6 adaptors and nine 7n7 tubes in accessories for sale. Couldn't get a link.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #2,757 of 4,839
  The huge range of rolling choices for the WA6 caused me to select it over the SE some two years ago. Since I bought mine tubes are getting harder to reliably & economically source so this feature of the WA6 gets better with time. Count me as a big plus 1.

I originally purchased the WA6, then sold it for the SE, then immediately sold the SE to buy another WA6 again.

Feb 16, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #2,758 of 4,839
Me three on getting the 6 over the SE for tube rolling options. Just got updated tubes from Woo (Sophia Princess 274B for rectifier,  RCA 6EM7 for driver/power) but I think I prefer the original tubes that came with it.  Everything sounds a little more sterile but also a little muddier in the midrange. Weird. Maybe I just need to give them more break-in time.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:16 AM Post #2,759 of 4,839
  Me three on getting the 6 over the SE for tube rolling options. Just got updated tubes from Woo (Sophia Princess 274B for rectifier,  RCA 6EM7 for driver/power) but I think I prefer the original tubes that came with it.  Everything sounds a little more sterile but also a little muddier in the midrange. Weird. Maybe I just need to give them more break-in time.

A while ago when I first bought my WA6, I also purchased the 6EM7 and didn't care for them at all. I returned them very quickly!
Muddy is a great description of their sound.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #2,760 of 4,839
  A while ago when I first bought my WA6, I also purchased the 6EM7 and didn't care for them at all. I returned them very quickly!
Muddy is a great description of their sound.

Ugh. Well thanks for confirming. I think I'll swap them out but keep the Sophia in and see how that combo sounds. I might be outside the return period; I'll have to check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back