Woo Audio WA-8
Aug 21, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #451 of 838
I've been doing a little bit more listening of the WA8 especially against my Invicta/Zana Deux desktop setup. The Invicta/ZD has a somewhat brighter signature compared to the WA8 which feels warmer by comparison. It really depends on what one is listening to but for say modern R&B and HipHop, my wife & I prefer the WA8 as it feels less "shouty" and less aggressive than the Invicta/ZD. The WA8 however does noticeably have a smaller soundstage than the Invicta/ZD which isn't surprising.

So the WA8 is a nice compliment offering a different flavour to my current setup.

Sep 30, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #458 of 838
Received my Eclipse yesterday, very impressive! As noted earlier, not quite enough power to drive my LCD-4, but sounds great with my LCD-2.

congrats! 
beerchug.gif
 we would love to see a pic or two of your system. 

Oct 2, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #460 of 838
Has someone already tried tube rolling with his Wa8 ?

Oct 2, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #461 of 838

You can't directly.  Woo Audio will be providing tube modules at some point that will enable tube rolling of a sorts i.e. switching out the tube module originally provided with the unit for another module supplied by Woo Audio.

Yes it does take away from the fun of rolling your own tubes, but my understanding is Woo Audio will provide modules with different flavors and could in theory provide reference modules designed to extract maximum performance from the WA8 when paired with different reference cans.

It would be great if they could provide just the module without tubes so a user could roll their own tubes, but it might not be possible with the design.

Oct 4, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #462 of 838

The stock tubes should lasts around 5000 hrs. We recommend everyone to enjoy their WA8 while we work on the upgrade tubes kit. 
beerchug.gif

Oct 21, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #464 of 838
Just got a wa8 and have put a few hours on it, but too soon to say much about the sound except that it is good and enjoyable with my HD800.

A few critical notes on ergonomics - it's easy to tip the unit over because it is so slim - somekinda stabilizing feet for desktop use would be nice, like you get with a router for example. The on/off switch is hard to get at being so small and almost recessed, making it easy to knock the unit over when you're trying to turn it off before you fall asleep. Same with the 2/3 tube switch, but who cares about that. I guess this was done for portability.

I look at my "big rig" and I see two power cables, a pair of interconnects, an spdif converter and a usb cable. I'm hoping to replace all that complexity with the little wa8.

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #465 of 838
  Just got a wa8 and have put a few hours on it, but too soon to say much about the sound except that it is good and enjoyable with my HD800.

A few critical notes on ergonomics - it's easy to tip the unit over because it is so slim - somekinda stabilizing feet for desktop use would be nice, like you get with a router for example. The on/off switch is hard to get at being so small and almost recessed, making it easy to knock the unit over when you're trying to turn it off before you fall asleep. Same with the 2/3 tube switch, but who cares about that. I guess this was done for portability.

I look at my "big rig" and I see two power cables, a pair of interconnects, an spdif converter and a usb cable. I'm hoping to replace all that complexity with the little wa8.

Congratulations! We recommend 100–150 hrs. of normal use with music playback to "break-in" the amp/tubes. The sound should improve with every use. :)

We intentionally made the switches slightly recessed so they can not be accidentally switched ON/OFF in transport. Please keep in mind to power OFF the unit before changing the tubes output, this resets the circuit.

We look forward to your extended listening impressions and pics. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back