Woo Audio WA-8
Oct 23, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #481 of 844
I've not done battery life tests using the chargetech, but based on the speed at which it recharges my Wa8 I think a doubling if battery life should be possible depending on output listening levels and headphone impedance. Perhaps Woo Audio has done testing and can comment.

Incidentally Chargetech is about to release a unit with an even larger capacity with a current pre- launch pricing that is just over $200 usd. I may jump on that since it works wonderfully as a backup source for many applications. For example I use their current unit to make my liquid carbon "transportable" and does that ever work well!

I don't think the dc out solution will work as previously explained by Woo Audio, although I still struggle to understand why it would not. Assuming it cannot I really do like the suggestion from @bmichels. If that cannot be done then the Woo Audio supplied adapter with removable and shorter cords on both ends would be a great option to make the Chargetech to adapter to WA8 connection more "tidy".

Mm....yeah a more powerful Chargetech power outlet is in the works. Unfortunately, it is not an option for me since TSA prohibits the air transport of more than 27000 mah battery bank. With the exploding Samsung Note 7 fiasco, power banks are hot items as far as airport and airlines authorities are concerned. I think the new Chargetech model will be out very soon since the current 27000 mah model is now on sale direct from their company store (I paid discounted price of usd 165.00, with overseas shipping around usd 200.00 total).

Oct 23, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #482 of 844
Mmm.....my main use for the WA8 is outside home listening, where power outlets are not always conveniently available. At home, it gets plugged in so no battery life problem. But I rarely use the WA8 as a desktop amp (or for home use). I already have the Chord Dave to fulfill that role.

Oct 23, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #483 of 844
I've heard good things about the Dave, but out of my price range I'm afraid. Just switched to using the new COS Engineering H1 for my desktop solution and really liking it with the Utopia so far.

BTW I just finished running the liquid carbon for almost 4 hours straight off the Chargetech. I did not start from a full charge (3 blue lights out of 4 on the battery indicator) and only stopped because I had to run some errands. When I did the indicator had just changed to one light. The WA8 probably pulls more current for the same load and listening level, but I'm thinking you should be good with the Chargetech.

Actually I'm seriously thinking about making the Chargetech a permanent part of my desktop setup. It may be my imagination, but i think the presentation is a bit cleaner running from the battery pack instead of the mains.

Still loving the Wa8 and the ability to easily move it from room to room. Used with a cell phone to to access Tidal from wherever i am sitting makes it all worthwhile!

Oct 29, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #484 of 844
Mm......received today via Fedex my Chargetech with AC output battery bank (27000 mah). Tested it right away with my WA8 and I was able to extend my listening session from 3.5 hours (usual battery life of the WA8) to around 7.5 hours continuous playback. Better than expected. Short battery life solved. Combo is enough for heavy use. No sound problem.

Oct 29, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #485 of 844
Mm......received today via Fedex my Chargetech with AC output battery bank (27000 mah). Tested it right away with my WA8 and I was able to extend my listening session from 3.5 hours (usual battery life of the WA8) to around 7.5 hours continuous playback. Better than expected. Short battery life solved. Combo is enough for heavy use. No sound problem.

Great to hear that it worked for you as well as it has worked for me. If you have a desktop headphone amp I also encourage you to try it with the chargetech instead of plugging the amp into the mains. I was shocked at how well it worked with the liquid carbon driving the Utopia.

Incidentally, I had the opportunity to discuss the Chargetech with the folks from Woo Audio at an audio show in Toronto earlier today. They reported that another power supply that works well is the RAVPower RP-PB14. The link on Amazon is: https://www.amazon.com/RAVPower-23000mAh-Portable-Charger-External/dp/B00HFMUBYG/ref=sr_1_21?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1477788289&sr=1-21&keywords=Ravpower

This model is apparently quite small and is able to provide the required 12V dc directly to the power input jack of the WA8. The standard WA8 ac to dc converter is rated to put out 12.6V, but apparently the WA8 works fine on 12V. This option therefore eliminates the need to use the ac to dc converter with the power supply and minimizes the footprint of the WA8 power supply combination.

Oct 30, 2016 at 1:27 AM Post #486 of 844
Mm....yeah, I'm thinking of using my Chargetech to power my desktop amps like the Dave. Not sure if it is advisable to do so. Also, looking at the Ravpower that you mentioned, I'd love to have that as well except it does seem to have the Microsoft Surface adaptor (fin-type magnetic).

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #488 of 844
Could someone tell me what connections (rig variations) are possible with the W-8 beyond USB/computer? I have multiple DAPs (X5ii, AK100ii, C4 Pro, etc.) and I just don't know how they'd relate to this DAC/amp. I'm assuming there's no optical or coax here, and the suite of connectivity offered by the Chord Hugo (which I own and love). Thanks!!

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #490 of 844
Got my answer, thanks!

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #492 of 844
Thanks.

Nov 12, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #493 of 844
Thought of another question. Anyone have experience with side-by-side comparison of the Woo vs Continental Dual Mono? I'm wondering which device is better at handling power-thirsty headphones.

Nov 12, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #494 of 844
  Thought of another question. Anyone have experience with side-by-side comparison of the Woo vs Continental Dual Mono? I'm wondering which device is better at handling power-thirsty headphones.

Neither to be honest. The WA8 would be a better option than the CDM if you had to choose between them though. I can't remember the exact numbers but I think the output of the CDM is 125mw into 32ohms, and the WA8's max output is 350mw, I'm not sure into what ohms that is measured at. If you HAD to have a portable option for hard to drive headphones I would check out the iFi Idsd Micro, it is solid state though. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back